Is the NBA in Hartford's future?

MadVlad

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does this mean? If they move east they would have a good team? Please explain this statement.

the eastern conference isn't as good of a conference, they have a decent team in the west... If they relocate and keep the same team the would be a powerhouse/good team in the east.

The East hasn't always been bad, it goes in cycles.

No, but if they were to move within a few years, they would have an advantage. The way the draft is looking though, if a lot of east teams are in the lottery, they have a good chance to get a lot of power men, and rebuild a lot of teams.

As an FYI, the study referenced about Hartford being attractive for a new team was by Howard Bloom of Sports Business News.com.

Remember that his study said that Hartford was the 3rd best city for a new team BUT number 1 for a new NHL team. The two top cities were LA (where he was recommending a new NFL team) and Phila. (where he was recommending a new MLS team). So Hartford is number 1 for the NHL.

As for whether or not an NBA team would take away business from the other teams. I don't see how an NBA team would take away from the Sun's attendance. They market to women and young families. Their demographics may be different. Further, their season is the summer.

UConn will always have a following in CT as long as they keep winning.

As an FYI, the study referenced about Hartford being attractive for a new team was by Howard Bloom of Sports Business News.com.

Remember that his study said that Hartford was the 3rd best city for a new team BUT number 1 for a new NHL team. The two top cities were LA (where he was recommending a new NFL team) and Phila. (where he was recommending a new MLS team). So Hartford is number 1 for the NHL.

As for whether or not an NBA team would take away business from the other teams. I don't see how an NBA team would take away from the Sun's attendance. They market to women and young families. Their demographics may be different. Further, their season is the summer.

UConn will always have a following in CT as long as they keep winning.

I agree about hte Sun, and UConn comments. I am surprised LA still doesn't have an NFL team. I did hear they would be getting one in a year or two, they plan on expanding. If I was to guess a new MLS team, I would say Southeast (florida or carolina's)

Major_League_Soccer_Map_2007_Season.PNG

I agree about hte Sun, and UConn comments. I am surprised LA still doesn't have an NFL team. I did hear they would be getting one in a year or two, they plan on expanding. If I was to guess a new MLS team, I would say Southeast (florida or carolina's)

Major_League_Soccer_Map_2007_Season.PNG

Major League Soccer will put a team anywhere where there's an owner who's willing to invest, significantly, in the league. The business plan is quite different from any sports league anywhere in the world. The league actually owns the teams and players, franchises them out to "owners" who run teams, sometimes multiple teams. They aren't interested in where the team goes, just who's got the money.

Major League Soccer will put a team anywhere where there's an owner who's willing to invest, significantly, in the league. The business plan is quite different from any sports league anywhere in the world. The league actually owns the teams and players, franchises them out to "owners" who run teams, sometimes multiple teams. They aren't interested in where the team goes, just who's got the money.

I am saying in a non business standpoint, which would end up business I guess, but if you get the southeast, that is more fans, there are already a large amount of teams west, and norteast. To really get the whole country into the league you need to spread it out.

I am saying in a non business standpoint, which would end up business I guess, but if you get the southeast, that is more fans, there are already a large amount of teams west, and norteast. To really get the whole country into the league you need to spread it out.

They don't care about that at all. They just put a second Los Angeles team in.

• 4 years later...

Someone get on the horn to Sac-Town!

KJ: Kings trying to leave Sacramento

The mayor in Sacramento, who has more than a passing familiarity with the NBA, is less than pleased with the Kings' approach. The strongest glimpse of what's happening behind the scenes came Thursday, when the National Basketball Association revealed that the Maloof family, which owns the Kings, has requested an extension of the league's Tuesday deadline for asking permission to move to a new city this year. In a hastily called news conference Thursday, Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson expressed disappointment. "This means one thing," he said. "They are trying to cut a deal to leave." Johnson said he also was upset that he had to hear the news via Google alert, rather than from the Kings themselves. "I would have preferred a phone call in advance," said the mayor, a former NBA All-Star. "Sacramento deserves better than this."

si.com

It would be cool to see them move to KC but I read they are thinking Anaheim. I've never been to Anaheim and have nothing against them but I'm not in favor of seeing them get any more teams but Disney will probably get what they want in the end. Would they be the Los Angeles Kings of Anaheim? lol

Hartford has a much better shot at getting the NHL back than getting an NBA team :) I'm sure some of you guys think this already but there are at least 2 if not more NHL relocations that will happen here in the next few years. After Winnepeg and Quebec City, I'd think Hartford is on that shortlist if they can get an arena deal in place.

Archived