Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRDadof3

What developments could be done to better honor Gerald R. Ford?

24 posts in this topic

I have a few ideas:

1) My reflecting pool fountain idea ILO the parking lot along Pearl Street. The museum now looks like it should be in Kentwood coming in from that side.

2) Get I-196/Gerald R. Ford Freeway on the East side repaved now! Don't wait to expand it in 2012. How embarrassing.

3) Expand the Gerald R. Ford Airport, and possibly create a memorial in the airport.

4) Rebuild the Gerald R. Ford Federal Building into something much more grand.

5) Remove the visitor information booth that never gets used Southeast of the museum. It's looking pretty dated.

Anyone have any other ideas, or improvements that could be made to the museum or downtown in Ford's honor?

I have a few ideas:

1) My reflecting pool fountain idea ILO the parking lot along Pearl Street. The museum now looks like it should be in Kentwood coming in from that side.

2) Get I-196/Gerald R. Ford Freeway on the East side repaved now! Don't wait to expand it in 2012. How embarrassing.

3) Expand the Gerald R. Ford Airport, and possibly create a memorial in the airport.

5) Remove the visitor information booth that never gets used Southeast of the museum. It's looking pretty dated.

Anyone have any other ideas, or improvements that could be made to the museum or downtown in Ford's honor?

To continue the effort to revitalize our downtown and urban core. To honor Ford we should be bolder in our attempt. After all this is his home.

A Statue that honors the man. The monument should be honest and accessible to all people.

How about naming one of GRPS's high schools after him? Its simple, and relatively cheap. I'm surprised there isn't a Gerald R. Ford High School in GR right now actually.

I'd like to see a memorial of the signing of the Helsinki Accords myself. Something that symbolizes peace, and the fall of an oppressive empire. (Lets face it, with the Helsinki Accords Ford ended the Cold War and not Reagan.)

I absolutely agree on the statue. If Arthur VandenBurg deserves one (and he does), then certainly so does Ford.

I like the reflecting pool idea for the museum...

I'm all for repaving the Ford Freeway, but that has very little do do with Jerry Ford or his passing. It's more due to the fact that I like good roads.

As for airport expansion, I'm all for it. But I don't think it should happen in honor of Ford, nor do I think it will for that reason. The airport will expand or contract due to market forces, as it should. And I tend to think that the mural/bust combo that currently graces the airport concourse serves as a fine memorial to the President.

How about naming one of GRPS's high schools after him? Its simple, and relatively cheap. I'm surprised there isn't a Gerald R. Ford High School in GR right now actually.

I'd like to see a memorial of the signing of the Helsinki Accords myself. Something that symbolizes peace, and the fall of an oppressive empire. (Lets face it, with the Helsinki Accords Ford ended the Cold War and not Reagan.)

I have a few ideas:

If South High School were still around I'd bet that it would be renamed Gerald R Ford High.

Once they get the Federal building rebuilt, maybe they can also rebuild the Ford Museum. I heard it referred as "looking like a car dealership" in national media commentary.

Once they get the Federal building rebuilt, maybe they can also rebuild the Ford Museum. I heard it referred as "looking like a car dealership" in national media commentary.

Yeah, big, mature trees suck. ;)

The museum planted "mature" trees when the building was completed. I've thought for years the now huge trees and shrubs either need a very good trimming or replacement so one can see the building from the street. One would think they're in the forest down there. IMHO, a relatively inexpensive landscaping job would really increase the buildings curb appeal, :thumbsup:

When I was at the airport recently, I noticed the mural by Paul Collins had been relegated to the baggage claim in a dark corner. This was such an honor for Ford when it was dedicated, and in the next renovation, I guess it did not match the decor.

I would move it to a place of honor, with better lighting.

Re-skin/rebuild the Fedral Bldg. and freshen up the Ford Museum - the first step would to be remove that hideous lettering that runs across the front of the building. The reference to a car dealership was not too far off the mark.

On the day of the funeral I was thinking how a Ford statue would look perfect at Monroe & Pearl, across Monroe Center from Vandenburg, right at the tip of the park.

I have a few ideas:

Several exterior upgrades are going to happen starting this spring at the ford federal building. :ph34r: