Liquor licenses downtown to possibly expand

GRDadof3

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole idea is highly controversial.

As the article states, a liquor license on the open market sells for $90-100K. They've become more costly through the years but I can't remember one less then $60K. Now, you want to hand out more for the paultry price of $20K?

That's a darn fine way to undermine the value of the existing liquor licenses that are out there and completely piss off all of the restaurants that have had to pay the higher price for one. Doesn't sound like good business to me.

I can see both sides of this issue. I have often thought of opening a downtown location but knew the cost of a liquor license would make this very difficult. On the flip side my current license has a value that now may be lower because of this new law.

I like the fact that these new licenses go back to the municipality if the business does not succeed. This may help to preserve some of the value of a non-restricted license.

I can see both sides of this issue. I have often thought of opening a downtown location but knew the cost of a liquor license would make this very difficult. On the flip side my current license has a value that now may be lower because of this new law.

I like the fact that these new licenses go back to the municipality if the business does not succeed. This may help to preserve some of the value of a non-restricted license.

This whole idea is highly controversial.

As the article states, a liquor license on the open market sells for $90-100K. They've become more costly through the years but I can't remember one less then $60K. Now, you want to hand out more for the paultry price of $20K?

That's a darn fine way to undermine the value of the existing liquor licenses that are out there and completely piss off all of the restaurants that have had to pay the higher price for one. Doesn't sound like good business to me.

Do businesses need a permit to be BYOB? I actually enjoy places like Marado that don't serve but allow you to bring your own alcohol to dinner. I was recently at a restaurant in Philly that was pretty upscale but didn't have a liquor license. Allowing patrons to bring their own is a great way to get people in the door for dinner.

Do businesses need a permit to be BYOB? I actually enjoy places like Marado that don't serve but allow you to bring your own alcohol to dinner. I was recently at a restaurant in Philly that was pretty upscale but didn't have a liquor license. Allowing patrons to bring their own is a great way to get people in the door for dinner.

To make an investment on the open market and get screwed is on thing. For existing restaurants, that paid the price, to get thrown under the bus by their own city government is another.

Don't cut the legs off of the businesses that made the commitment to be there first.

Archived