Best Fine Dining/wine bar bistro type places in Ft. Wayne

RyanBT

Hi folks, I'm traveling up to Ft. Wayne in a couple of months and was wondering if y'all have any input on the Ft. Wayne dining scene. I'm a looking a fine dining place, hopefully in a hip downtown type setting. Good wine list is a must. I'm used to the great places here in Columbia, Sc and Charleston, so I'm looking for something comparable. Thanks for any suggestions!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi folks, I'm traveling up to Ft. Wayne in a couple of months and was wondering if y'all have any input on the Ft. Wayne dining scene. I'm a looking a fine dining place, hopefully in a hip downtown type setting. Good wine list is a must. I'm used to the great places here in Columbia, Sc and Charleston, so I'm looking for something comparable. Thanks for any suggestions!

• 4 months later...

Again, late to this thread, but for future reference:

Don't forget Henry's, on West Main Street at Fulton. More casual than elegant, but with good food and nostalgic atmosphere that's authentic, not contrived. It's a long-time institution maybe just a step above a neighborhood tavern, popular with the arts & theatre crowd and people from the newspaper offices next door. A little loud for my taste on nights when they have live music, but that seems to be an issue with live music everywhere; other than that it's excellent. It's a very mixed crowd, straight, gay, all ages.

Relatively new downtown is Toscani, on the north side of Wayne Street about half a block west of Calhoun. The decor is classy without being stuffy, the service is attentive, and the food is good.

I'd like to see them open the Window Garden (13th floor of Summit Square) as a fine-dining establishment in the evenings. It's a nicely-appointed facility with excellent views and used to be pretty busy at lunchtime. The last few times I've been there, business is way off. I've had breakfast there and been one of only two or three people in the place. It's centrally-located and has a skybridge connection to the parking garage, and via the parking garage to the Hilton, Grand Wayne, and Embassy Theatre.

Probably the most upscale venue downtown is the Summit Club, on the top floor of National City Bank, but it's membership-only. I've only eaten there once, as someone's guest, and it seemed to me to be more about the prestige and exclusivity than the food. The menu isn't even priced; members get a monthly bill. I guess if you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it.

Archived