what would you like to see happen in the Triad's downtownS in 2007?

cityboi

in 2007 for the Greensboro, NC (downtown):

My wish list

1) the announcement of a 30-story "Center Pointe II" tower next to Center Pointe

2) a public/private partnership that help makes it more feasible for large scale high-rise projects (parking is a big issue for highrise projects and these developments typically need parking decks. The city could help provide parking for these developments. Recently downtown lost out an an opportunity for a new hotel due to parking issues.)

3) local government and developers implementing the South Elm Street redevelopment plan

4) redeveloping Festival Park and creating continuity between Festival Park and Center-City Park

5) an announcement for a new Bellemeade Village plan

6) a plan for improving the streetscape along Market Street, Eugene Street, Greene Street and Friendly Ave (the way South Elm Street has been done. All street lights throughout downtown need to be decorative, not just on Elm Street.)

7) allowing food stands on downtown streets (strict food vending laws makes it impossible for someone to set up a hot dog stand)

8) a downtown trolley (trolley styled buses)

9) a more detailed redevelopment plan for the far southwest corner of downtown (the area that borders lee Street, Spring Garden Street and the railroad tracks. There are a number of warehouses there and the area is almost out of reach)

10) the city purchase of the rail yard between the depot and Southside (the rail yard is a brownfield that needs to be turned into a park. The rusted train platform can be preserved as a stage for an amphitheater. a large pond and a rock waterfall could be built in the park as well. The park would connect well with the planned City View Apartments in Southside.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erm, the Triad doesn't have a downtown, and WS is no less a dominant piece of the Triad than GSO. Your topic title is therefore going to offend some... :unsure:

v - Just giving you a hard time, have read enough of your posts that I don't think you'd have done that on purpose. ;)

1. Commitment to fund the Winston-Salem Streetcar.

2. Commitment to fund the Winston-Salem Streetcar.

3. Commitment to fund the Winston-Salem Streetcar.

4. Commitment to fund the Winston-Salem Streetcar.

5. Parking freeze in downtown of both GSO and W-S for the next 25 years.

I too am tierd of "Parking" the downtown of Winston has wated hundreds of thousands of dollars on parking studies. Opening business in most locations (not 4th or trade) is really hampered by off-street parking requirments. For insatnace in starting my office (downtown) I had to come up with 9 parking places... despite the fact that there is curbside parking on 2 sides of my building and I have as of yet to see it all taken....

I can park curbside in front of the courthouse 9 out of 10 times I go... with exceptions of Monday morning... Actually... from almost any place in downtone winston you can find an clomst empty parkig deck within 2 blocks...

Winston should invest in opening these decks up for public parking or even buying one or two and making them completely free for parking (like 7th street station in Charlotte)... that would help.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have to meet off-street parkign requirments when the city maintaind a card access only and almost always empty parkind deck and an always empty parking lot less that 200 feet from my office.

There are plenty plent plent of places to park in downtown winston... people just have to look right in front of them.

I too am tierd of "Parking" the downtown of Winston has wated hundreds of thousands of dollars on parking studies. Opening business in most locations (not 4th or trade) is really hampered by off-street parking requirments. For insatnace in starting my office (downtown) I had to come up with 9 parking places... despite the fact that there is curbside parking on 2 sides of my building and I have as of yet to see it all taken....

I can park curbside in front of the courthouse 9 out of 10 times I go... with exceptions of Monday morning... Actually... from almost any place in downtone winston you can find an clomst empty parkig deck within 2 blocks...

Winston should invest in opening these decks up for public parking or even buying one or two and making them completely free for parking (like 7th street station in Charlotte)... that would help.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have to meet off-street parkign requirments when the city maintaind a card access only and almost always empty parkind deck and an always empty parking lot less that 200 feet from my office.

There are plenty plent plent of places to park in downtown winston... people just have to look right in front of them.

same situation in Greensboro. a solution I had to the problem in both Greensboro and Winston-Salem is to use a trolley to connect to all the parking decks and the trolley can take you in close proximity to where you want to go. You could park in a deck 5 or 6 blocks away from your destination and the trolley could take you there. First the cities should use bus trolleys. I know Winston has one but its a lunch trolley.

Archived