Rutherford County building moratorium

reednavy05

This frankly is the damn dumbest way I have ever heard in history to stop growth. Putting an end to growth for a specific period of time is the best way for Rutherford County to ruin it's chances of growing in the national spotlight. This brings up the issue of Metro style government, yall read this from the Daily News Journal

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../701100325/1002

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me they are just needing more money for infrastructure improvements. Maybe they need to increase their impact fee a little more and start building the schools and roads they need now instead of being reactive. A building moratorium is a bad idea for a county this size. The developemnts are coming to MD TN rather they like it or not. If they dont build in Rutherford then Davidson, Sumner, Williamson, and Wilson counties will be the real winners here if this happens.

A moratorium spells out irresponsibility to future businesses wanting to relocate here. Proposing this in an attempt to make ammends with the residents who have and will be annexed is rather rediculous. I believe that Rutherford and Murfreesboro should stop trying to be like Williamson County and propose real urban developments, not sprawl. The problem is not overbuilding, it's lack of planning. Murfreesboro desperately needs new infrastructure such as a new library with branches, banks, restaurants, condominiums, museum, entertainment, and class A office space downtown. Murfreesboro should look at Chattanooga or Asheville as positive examples of how to plan Smart Growth. Until Murfreesboro thinks like a city and not a small town, silly stuff like this will continue to pop up.

Edited by Justiceham

Well...a moratorium can give the county more time to better plan for growth, including zoning, education, and how to provide infrastructure. And it's not a small-town thing to do. Shelby County has enacted a moratorium in all unincorporated areas of the county.

Sometimes it's just necessary for an area to take a breather and figure out how to proceed with sustainable development, not just cheap development. It's also a good sign that the politicians and administrators are willing to say "No" to the big-money developers who often are looking for an easy buck - not necessarily what's good for the county.

I haven't read the DNJ article posted above, so my grasp of what exactly is being proposed is tenuous. However, forcing property owners to stop using their property according to their own plans just because it doesn't fit the government interest is tyranny plain and simple.

Edited by Relient J

Like I said all this bickering between city and county can be solved by merging into a Metropolitan style government.They're gunna get annexed at some point, so just shut up and get over it, I understand their stance, but its going to happen regardless of if, but when

Like I said all this bickering between city and county can be solved by merging into a Metropolitan style government.They're gunna get annexed at some point, so just shut up and get over it, I understand their stance, but its going to happen regardless of if, but when

I'm for a metropolitan form of government, too, but as Rardy has pointed out things need to be planned out right and the infrastructure just is not there for Murfreesboro to carry the load...yet. I cannot debate what is right for the residents who are being annexed, but I can say that you've got to be kidding to believe that living that close to the city limits you would not be annexed eventually. A metropolitan form of government would solve most woes, but create new ones too. I suspect the residents who are opposed to even being annexed will simply pack their bags to find out Murfreesboro would go metro. Many people who have lived here for years have enjoyed living in peace and quiet, yet still receive the offerings of a city. With continued growth, Murfreesboro can no longer sell the quality of life/Mayberry image anymore. I enjoy living here and seeing the changes because in my short life Murfreesboro has always been changing. Murfreesboro is a great place to live, work, go to school and raise a family no doubt. I just hope the city and county can come up with a plan to keep people here and not push them away.