NHL

nashvillwill

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Columbus needs to be very, very careful. They can't have a bad team for years and years and expect to have a team 15 years from now (just ask Hartford). The Whalers were basically one of the worst teams the NHL ever had success-wise, and that's why there were always rumors of bad attendance. The people of Hartford supported a horrendous team for a very long time, better than some other markets with much better teams. Columbus needs to protect itself from this type of problem and get some winning done. The people of the city are supporting the Blue Jackets tremendously and it'd be a shame if that enthusiasm were beaten out of them with year after year of horrible teams....

I wholeheartedly agree w/ that statement. They have improved a little bit this year, but next year, they need to at least contend for a playoff spot. At least that's the sentiment I get from my friends back in Columbus, otherwise they said the attendance will start declining. They have said it is time for Rick Nash and Nikolai Zherdev to grow up and really become the stars people think they can become. I'm not sure what type of lease the team has in Nationwide Arena, but knowing how smart Nationwide's Real Estate Group, who financed the arena themselves, I'm sure they have a pretty longterm ironclad lease w/ the Blue Jackets that would make it extremely hard to move. I don't know for sure, but I would expect that to be the case. The good news is that a non traditional hockey market like Columbus, has completely surprised a lot of people w/ how well they support the team. I think as the city continues to grow, that could potentially lead to them pulling in another big professional team, b/c the city has a proven track record that they will support a professional team well, but not quite as well as Ohio State football(its God).

I wholeheartedly agree w/ that statement. They have improved a little bit this year, but next year, they need to at least contend for a playoff spot. At least that's the sentiment I get from my friends back in Columbus, otherwise they said the attendance will start declining. They have said it is time for Rick Nash and Nikolai Zherdev to grow up and really become the stars people think they can become. I'm not sure what type of lease the team has in Nationwide Arena, but knowing how smart Nationwide's Real Estate Group, who financed the arena themselves, I'm sure they have a pretty longterm ironclad lease w/ the Blue Jackets that would make it extremely hard to move. I don't know for sure, but I would expect that to be the case. The good news is that a non traditional hockey market like Columbus, has completely surprised a lot of people w/ how well they support the team. I think as the city continues to grow, that could potentially lead to them pulling in another big professional team, b/c the city has a proven track record that they will support a professional team well, but not quite as well as Ohio State football(its God).

I haven't heard much about attendance, but I know they aren't a bottom feeder compared to places like Boston and Nashville. Nashville is a first place team and they are averaging around 10,000. And boston horrible, but an original 6 and they aren't getting more than 8.000 at a game. They inflat the numbers every game, and give away tickets and it is still hard to get people to come.

the pacific is tough. You go from a 2 to a 7 seed. I think the playoffs will be exciting in the west this year. If the west teams don't beat each other up like in the NBA I think the west will walk away with teh cup.

Buffalo is tough, and you can never discount an out-of-this-world display by Martin Brodeur. The west does have the dominant teams though....

Yay playoff time! Go Sharks!!

I'm nervous opening against Nashville...something about their style of play gives us trouble, we don't have a terribly good record against them.

but if they get by they will have an easier second round opponent.

this Nashville/San Jose series has been very interesting so far. Both teams are playing like its the Western Finals! i wish good luck to both teams, obviously im rooting for Nashville, but it will definately be an interesting series.

Side note: to my fellow hockey fans out there. Nashville has recieved a lot of heat lately about being thugs and stupid fans. I just wanted to express to you all that most fans here are legit. However, our team does not get media/coporate support like they should. It is true that there are a few brainless idiots in the stands(i had a couple behind me last night. arg!) that scream "shoot it" everytime someone touches the puck. However, there are so many more fans who understand the game, and (believe it or not) are legitimatly worried when an opposing player is injured. don't let our "taunts" confuse you. those taunts just make the game experience more fun for us. furthermore, Nashville fans DO understand that the Preds are playing very agressive hockey at an unconventional time of year. whether this work or not will make or break the team. we do understand this. this will be a good series between two good teams.

i just felt the need to stand up for my fellow fans in an "unconventional" hockey city. thanks for taking this into consideration. :)

this Nashville/San Jose series has been very interesting so far. Both teams are playing like its the Western Finals! i wish good luck to both teams, obviously im rooting for Nashville, but it will definately be an interesting series.

Side note: to my fellow hockey fans out there. Nashville has recieved a lot of heat lately about being thugs and stupid fans. I just wanted to express to you all that most fans here are legit. However, our team does not get media/coporate support like they should. It is true that there are a few brainless idiots in the stands(i had a couple behind me last night. arg!) that scream "shoot it" everytime someone touches the puck. However, there are so many more fans who understand the game, and (believe it or not) are legitimatly worried when an opposing player is injured. don't let our "taunts" confuse you. those taunts just make the game experience more fun for us. furthermore, Nashville fans DO understand that the Preds are playing very agressive hockey at an unconventional time of year. whether this work or not will make or break the team. we do understand this. this will be a good series between two good teams.

i just felt the need to stand up for my fellow fans in an "unconventional" hockey city. thanks for taking this into consideration. :)

I agree completely and it is good a non-hockey city may make a persense (sorta like the hurricanes, but maybe they will stick around the following year), I think the two best series in the first round are gonig to be SJ/Nashville and Dallas/Vancouver... both will have the best chance to go 7 with any of the four teams pulling out the series win.