NHL

nashvillwill

It could work in Phoenix but i'm sceptic, maybe in a decade or 2. Houston is also healthier Economically, more population, and has group that wants a NHL team, don't know how the Aeros do in attendance now, it would also keep a team in the south, if that's why Bettmans fighting the move to Hamilton. and scheduling wise for next season i'm sure the NHL wants to keep the team in the "west", but well see how this pays out, but It certainly looks as though a AHL city is going to become a NHL city. The Coyotes probably are not going to be the last NHL team to file for Bankruptcy during this recession.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It could work in Phoenix but i'm sceptic, maybe in a decade or 2. Houston is also healthier Economically, more population, and has group that wants a NHL team, don't know how the Aeros do in attendance now, it would also keep a team in the south, if that's why Bettmans fighting the move to Hamilton. and scheduling wise for next season i'm sure the NHL wants to keep the team in the "west", but well see how this pays out, but It certainly looks as though a AHL city is going to become a NHL city. The Coyotes probably are not going to be the last NHL team to file for Bankruptcy during this recession.

Houston was 8th in the AHL in attendance this season, behind Hershey, Manitoba (Winnipeg, MB), Grand Rapids, Chicago, Wilkes-Barre-Scranton, Philadelphia, and Providence. I think Milwaukee would be a good place for an NHL team, its AHL team is 11th in attendance, but would also be able to draw on some of Chicago's market which is best in the NHL and 4th in the AHL. Plus, Wisconsin is a proven hockey market.

Wilwaukee would be a good fit for the league. but it really comes down to the people of the city. would they rather stay blackhawks fans, or would they prefer their own team?

no doubt Chicagoland could support another team, and if it were to ever happen I much prefer putting it in Milwaukee than actually in Chicago.

Another place I would like to see a team, and I know it may be crazy is the maritime provinces of Canada. those poor beotchs dont have much going for them out there, so I am pretty sure they would be nuts for whatever team they could actually go and watch.

The team would honestly have to have a few home areanas mainly in Halifax and Saint John's

Halifax is 373,000 people

St. Johns is 181,000

I think games should also be held in New Brunswick either in Moncton(126,000) or Saint John(123,000) you can drive between the 2 cities.

Sure it would be a new thing in North American sport to have several home grounds, but this is normal in some parts of the world.

50% of the games would be in Halifax, with 25% in Newfoundland, and 25% in New Brunswick.

I know I know, no one lives out there, but like I said its a little crazy of an idea. The novelty of just 10 games a year in newfoundland should be able to make pretty sure those games are sold out.

ehh whatever. But even still, sadly I think Houston could do better than a lot of places.

maybe I will make a list of cities that would seemingly be best suited for a NHL team

In Canada:

Hamilton: its a pretty big city, and within an hour or so drive you have a few other pretty big cities(kitchner/Niagara).

Hamilton is about 700k people, London is 458K(2 hour drive?) Kitchener is 451K and Niagara is 390k not to mention a billionaire looking to buy a team. and Toronto a city of 5,113K is inside that same drivable area.

The other best hopes in Canada are Quebec City and Winnipeg

Both cities are just a hare larger than Hamilton but do not have any other near by population centers.

Quebec city is actually much better off than winnipeg, and is growing in population faster. winnipeg might be better for TV coverage since geographicly its a big dead spot on the canadian land scape while in theory old Nordiques fans still have the HABs. just down the road in Montreal

I do not see either Quebec or Winnipeg getting a city unless some super rich guy steps up and starts trying to bully the league. they just do not have the corporate presence or population or even tv market.

So, make it seven, then keep it at seven for at least a decade and see what changes.

USA

Houston is The largest city without a team by FAR with around 5.7 Million people

Seattle is the next in line. with a population of 3.345M a wintery climate, and a natural canadian rival just across the border, and a now empty arena, I put this city near the top of the list.

Baltimore is a city that I think could support a team. it has 2.667M people and is a natural rivalry for the Caps. does there need to be a team? no, but like everything with these twin cities, if there is room for it in the market it will happen eventually. I think Baltimore will get a NBA team before a NHL team however.

Portland Oregon with 2.207 is a good candidate. this city is rapidly growing, and only has an NBA team right now. once the coming MLS team starts play and the city adjusts to being a 2 sport city it will be interesting to see what sport is next for this rising star of the pacific north west. my guess is baseball or football, but I think the city could easily support NHL.

Cincinnati-wintery, but with NFL, and MLB, sucking up corporate support I am not sure its a great fit. the good thing however is that Dayton is a close drive away, so the population that would support a team is much more than 2.155

Cleveland has NBA, NFL, MLB. its population too is much larger than 2,088K, but the city is losing people unlike Cinci.

Orlando is too warm and has the lightning near enough

San Antonio honestly could support a team with its combined population with Austin, but its too damn hot, and I doubt the people care about hockey. I know they want an NFL team, I am sure they could support MLB or MLS, and they have an NBA team. I just do not see it happening

Kansas City- 2,002K people, rapidly growing city, natural cross state rivalry, arean built and ready, only competing with baseball and football.

I have to start skipping over warm cities now :)

Indianapolis- 1,715k residents, fast growing city with NBA and NFL. I see this city getting baseball before hockey for some reason. but it could support a team I think.

Providence could support an NHL team but it would have to be as a 2nd Boston team because the two cities are increasingly tied together. I think the city is doing things right now with the baby bruins, and should not mess with sucess. besides they just fixed up the arena, so I do not see them ponying up again. the AAA baseball team draws so well I'd say this city could easily support MLB, but this is redsox nation, so its not gonna happen. some loyalties lie too deep.

Providence should have some pro team, it really is quite the city and has nothing but I guess the patriots and the NE revolution (near by) Loyalties are staunchly with Boston, so I guess its a mute point.

Milwaukee 1,549K residents, sporting a NBA team and MLB. Like I said before this could definately work as an option to northern chicago land and to the city itself.

Hartford-Springfield I know this would work, but I am a bit of a homer here. 1.3million in Hartford. Springfield is just 26 miles away with another 682K New Haven is 39 Miles away with 846K residents Worcester MA is 63 Miles away with 781K (likely more bruins fans that might not convert, but it is mid point between Hartford and Boston) and just for good measure Albany is 112 Miles away with 854K residents. I put Albany up, because it may be just under 2 hours away, but If there were a team in Hartford it would be MUCH closer to Albany than the Sabers-288 miles, Ragers-133 miles (4 hour drive due to traffic), or Canadians 227 miles.

There are more but I have to stop typing and then come back and edit this mess

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, i guess i'm the first poster this NHL season. My Predators started very cold, but might have gotten their mojo back. The Central division does not seem that tough this season(compared to the rest of the league). Detroit is having trouble, Toronto blows, Colorado is apparently very good. Just wanted to bump this thread to see what anyone else thinks.

• 8 months later...