Downtown Fayetteville NC photo tour part1

NcSc74

I had to fly home for a funeral in Virginia so I stopped by downtown on my way to RDU for my flight back to Vegas. I really wish I had more time to explore the eastern end of downtown but I was on a tight time table. Fayetteville is much maligned and looked down on but the city itself is one of NC's oldest and has a great amount of history within it. There is a good push to revitalize downtown and the surrounding areas. I for one used to live just up the hill in the historic haymont village. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of the village but I promise next time I will tell my job to give me at least an extra day. I think I may have to break this down in two parts as I took as many pics as possible in the short amount of time I had. Oh yeah it gave me a chance to try out my new nikon D-50 santa gave me... :thumbsup: Ok here we go.

Lafayette himself

picture611lm5.jpg

picture613nd1.jpg

Renovated train station. Not the best view as this is the back side of it.

picture621kk3.jpg

New roundabout and spires on ray ave.

picture624iu9.jpg

Closer pic of roundabout

picture627cg2.jpg

picture630dj0.jpg

picture631at5.jpg

picture636mx9.jpg

Starting the rebirth of retail in the downtown district. I noticed antique shops, hardware, candy shops and what is most encouraging is the mix of small business owners returning to the district.

picture637vd3.jpg

That is the end of part one. Coming soon the Hay street stroll to see just what is in store for downtown...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics of Fayetteville :)

I make it down there every once in a while and love downtown. You captured downtown pretty good.

Fayetteville is making great strides to improve itself. I dont think Fayetteville would look right with skyscrapers, rather low and mid rise structures that blend with the existing buildings.

Downtown is VERY walkable and historical.

Anyone heard anything about the proposed development along the Cape Fear River? It is pretty close to DT Fayetteville.

Great pics of Fayetteville :)

I make it down there every once in a while and love downtown. You captured downtown pretty good.

Fayetteville is making great strides to improve itself. I dont think Fayetteville would look right with skyscrapers, rather low and mid rise structures that blend with the existing buildings.

Downtown is VERY walkable and historical.

Anyone heard anything about the proposed development along the Cape Fear River? It is pretty close to DT Fayetteville.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Dont worry man In about 5 years Fayetteville will be known worldwide very soon. I notice that alot of small business security company is being created in this town. Plus Fayetteville Outer loop starts up again in the begining of next year & with I-73, I-74 being constructed about 20 mins south of Fayetteville. Lets not forget about the 25,000 to 40,000 people will be relocated to this area within 6 years & the rival of East Fayetteville along the Cape Fear River.

Dont worry man In about 5 years Fayetteville will be known worldwide very soon. I notice that alot of small business security company is being created in this town. Plus Fayetteville Outer loop starts up again in the begining of next year & with I-73, I-74 being constructed about 20 mins south of Fayetteville. Lets not forget about the 25,000 to 40,000 people will be relocated to this area within 6 years & the rival of East Fayetteville along the Cape Fear River.

First, I'd like to say thanks to all of you for supporting our growing downtown. I am the Downtown Development Manager and am glad to see that downtown is being noticed. One correction, though. They didn't sell slaves at the Market House. Share croppers bid their work there and were picked up for a day's work. The Market House was also where UNC was formed and where NC was officially signed in as an independent state.

Downtown history is endless, but its future is even more impressive. The riverfront development is in fact part of the official downtown. We just opened Lord's Mill and renovated Campbellton's Landing which is right on Cape Fear River. The other development is River Bluff which is a large housing development that will overlook the river. www.riverbluffhomes.com

The Botanical Gardens also overlook the river.

The 300 Block Project, which is located on the 300 block of Hay Street will be complete this fall. It will include elite penthouses, condos, and townhomes which are almost all sold. There will also be retail and office space for sale on the first floor. www.300Hay.com

Festival Park Plaza and Festival Park are now complete. This year's Dogwood Festival featured JoJo and the concert was held at Festival Park. The ampitheatre is great and the park was a hit with the community.

Docks at the Capitol is also on the way. It is due to open this fall also. It is a replica of a Dave and Busters or an ESPN Zone. ESPN Radio will lease the front part of the building and broadcast live from the building's display windows 24/7. The windows will actually be the radio station. So fun! Dock's will be 45,000 square feet and will have one million dollars worth of games and billiards, a 5,000 sq foot sports bar, plasma tvs every where, a full scale restaurant, party rooms, banquet facilities, in house catering, bowling..I can go on and on. The website is www.docksatthecapitol.com

Though our big projects are great, small business is what makes our downtown a hit. All of our big projects are from local people who love downtown. We are definitly a small business hub and we're proud of that. They came in before anyone and risked all they had to better the downtown and live their dream. Their passion is obvious when you walk into each store. That's what makes us special.

We still have property available for development but it's do or die time now. We want investors who are experienced. We believe in public/private partnerships if the project will increase the tax base and better our community.

• 3 months later...

i wonder how that'll effect, fayetteville, lumberton and such with the cross of i95 and now i74, would be great for it to help lumberton to grow and maybe saint pauls, give the fayetteville region more attention i'd think, reading on that other thread about the history of the carolina cities and everyone kept going on about charlotte and such, but looking at the very begining, it wasnt charlotte, raleigh nor greensboro, new bern and fayetteville were the big boys of north carolina, i just wish fayetteville got the recognition it deserves with its population, history, its military presence (some see it in a bad light, i did too, but it does have its good points) and other such things.

Archived