House votes for minimum wage hike

rnc

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just wonder how many upper level management folks and CEO's would be willing to wait 10 to 15 years for a raise.

The CEO's for so many corporations make what many would consider excessive amounts of money then they say their company will go out of business if they pay those at the lowest scale $2.00 more per hour. Maybe a little pay cut for themselves would help for the good of the company if the situation will be that dire.

I just wonder how many upper level management folks and CEO's would be willing to wait 10 to 15 years for a raise.

The CEO's for so many corporations make what many would consider excessive amounts of money then they say their company will go out of business if they pay those at the lowest scale $2.00 more per hour. Maybe a little pay cut for themselves would help for the good of the company if the situation will be that dire.

It would seem your contempt for Madame Speaker Pelosi is misplaced. Here is the special minimum wage sheet for American Samoa that existed when the business friendly GOP was in firm control of the congress and whitehouse. These are the current standards there. Apparently MW laws there are specific to an industry. I found this by just typing in a few words into Google.

Do you have any proof of this is the reason American Samoa was not included? Generally resort areas even here in the United States are exempt from minimum wage laws. There was no tourist related business in Myrtle Beach for example that had to pay the minimum wage until labor go so short they raise the rates on their own accord.

It seems to me that you are itching to call this new congress corrupt before they even finish their first week of legislating. Get back to us when they start indicting them for breaking laws like their predecessors did.

No one will know for sure now that American Samoa will be bow included, but I find the irony in it amazing given that the bill was approved in congress with little to no argument from the Republicans. Besides, it was the ONLY territory to not be included and Star-Kist is the largest employer on the island

No one will know for sure now that American Samoa will be bow included, but I find the irony in it amazing given that the bill was approved in congress with little to no argument from the Republicans. Besides, it was the ONLY territory to not be included and Star-Kist is the largest employer on the island

I think some of you are mising the point on Samoa. Their economy is basicly three tunafish companies, and they don't need the same level of income to survive as we do in the Union proper. I would expect that the exemption does not apply to workers in Speaker Pelosi's district. The Republicans are looking for them to screw up, so I would expect the Democrats are on top of their game right now.

It is generally accepted that the Democratic leadership is the more liberal of the bunch. They picked moderate candidates so they could get their power back, and it worked. Its no different than saying that the Republican leadership is more (neo)conservative than others. Mrs. Pelosi is definitely not the MOST liberal, but she is on up there. That said, as long as the Democratic leadership continues to introduce moderate bills, they will gain lots of support from both sides of the table.

Now, as for the minimum wage bill I don't really have a problem with it. I say that as a Republican too. But what a real Republican (not this new breed of crazy ones) will tell you is that its the small businesses that are hurt by minimum wage laws, not the large ones, and that is where the major problem exists with this type of law. More importantly, that is what a real Republican cares about. Our locally owned businesses are just as important as any other, and we shouldn't create laws that make it more difficult for them to operate. Doing so would jeapordize our employment base, as small businesses make up a large portion of the economy. Without businesses like these, the minimum wage is irrelevant since small businesses will disappear. This in turn makes it that much easier for Wal-Mart and other national corporations to continue their rampage of destroying small towns accross America.

^I don't know that it does go both ways... "Comservative" isn't nearly the dirty word in American politics that "liberal" has become. Right-wing politicians proudly refer to themselves as "conservatives," while sneeringly calling their opponents "liberals" (even when they aren't). Left-wingers, on the other hand, have resorted to calling themselves "progressives" to avoid the dreaded L-word, a word that was a source of pride a few decades ago.

Furthermore, liberals haven't been in power in America in a very long time. They haven't been able to impliment very much, so there is little justification for the hatred they receive from the right, except that they are the opposition. The neoconservative movement, on the other hand, has done much to deserve the derision they are finally receiving.

Archived