Sad statement on quality of nightlife

spockko

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the deal is that people will go where the good crowd is regardless of how good the DJ is. The herd mentality.

I would say that if you are doing online shows on DI or where ever then I would expect the music to sell itself....but a nightclub is a whole different animal. Most people go to nightclubs to hang out with friends, have fun, and check out all the "hotties." Music is usually secondary.

If you want to be succusful then the key is to get the hottest people you know and let them if for free....then everyone else will follow and pay their way.

I think its the the type of people at the spot. People that like to dance will dance as long as the music is halfway decent and the dj is not messing up. People that come out to profile will do mostly that whether the dj is skilled or not. But honestly, Show Me What U Got, Walk It Out, and Staying Alive at the same party in the same general time frame makes me question the djs "move the crowd" skills. I can't imagine how that flowed & was supposed to keep people up & dancing. Its sounds too disjointed.

I'll give ya a better scene than that! City Tavern on Thursday nights in Dilworth. Unbeknownst to me and my partner they have a big party night every Thursday or at least they did (the one night we accidentally were part of it was the last night we have been there). In the middle of our dinner at about 8:30 the lights suddently went down and a DJ that we had not noticed in the corner cranked up, seriously I wouldn't make this up, a remix of Fins by Jimmy Buffet set to a really bad high energy dance beat. By the end of our meal about a half hour later all of Dilworths divorcees were out dancing around the tables. The music only got worse - lots of top 40 dance mixes and, really, no kidding, even more Jimmy Buffet remixes. We actually stayed an for an extra drink or two to watch the train wreck.

Oh, of course they played YMCA. It reminded me of a wedding reception -- where bad music is OK because you get to see everyone that you love or just met being a fool. At least they didn't play the macarana.

Sorry kids but I think you're missing the point of the Observer article.

I guess I should have called this topic "Sad statement on quality of dj entertainment. There is no intent to create a dj-vs-band rift. Both are viable entertainment and actually some of the best I've seen is a combo of both with a "quality" dj playing during the band breaks.

Speaking of "quality", apparently noone has ever seen anything but a hokey wedding dj. Wow...

A good dj doesn't have "train wrecks", plays to the crowd (all genres), and finally...won't run the crowd off.

I honestly haven't seen a decent dj in at least 3-4 years. Can anyone name a good experience?

Anyone interested, along the lines of the DJ conversations, Breakfast Club is having a break-dance competition and party this Sunday night. I went a few months ago -- if you like Hip-Hop, and I do, it is a great music night. I'm not sure if he is again, but the DJ was Wiiz Kid. Watching all the dancers was a lot of fun.

This isn't my opinion, it comes from the Observer. I was just passing it along.

To clearify I was focusing on the average bar/nightspot top-40 dj, not big house club jocks like Darude.

But I guess the average has lowered over the last few years since anybody can now claim to be a digital dj.

Hey spockko :)

I'm a little confused by this:

I took this to mean that you thought DJ E-Luv was good and should've got the people moving.

Archived