Gastonia

nova72asu

I'm not looking for spots where Gastonia comes up in other topics. The purpose of this topic was to be a place to talk about projects and rumors of projects in the Gastonia area.

For example...the redevelopment of Mcadenville, or the new stores being constructed on Franklin Blvd across from Goodwill, Greenways, new roads, etc etc...

now post away!

The hh gregg & Ashley Furniture are part of the newest phase of Franklin Square that will also include some smaller retail and restaurants. The site is being developed by Ghazi who has a big part in the Two Ten Trade tower in uptown Charlotte.

There is something else new being built next to the Steak & Shake in front of Carolina Harley & Home Depot.

Also, there is serious talk of demolishing parts, or all, of Gaston Mall to make way for something new. The rumor I have been reading about is a Super Target. There is an issue with the Duhart floodplain going through the property. The city and the developer have had disucssions and I think that there are more public meetings scheduled for March.

There is a new Food Lion and some other minor stores being construced on South New Hope Road and Lowell-Bethesda.

I just wish they would do something with the vacant Winn-Dixie on South New Hope Road.

And one of the last, cool rumors I have heard is that Gaston County may very well be getting its first Starbucks. I have heard from a good source that the now vacant Long John Silver/A&W on 273(Park St.) in front of Abbey Plaza is the likely spot.

Hope this helps whet the appetite!

• Like 1

I just wish they would do something with the vacant Winn-Dixie on South New Hope Road.

And one of the last, cool rumors I have heard is that Gaston County may very well be getting its first Starbucks. I have heard from a good source that the now vacant Long John Silver/A&W on 273(Park St.) in front of Abbey Plaza is the likely spot.

At this point, any Winn-Dixie that is still vacant will likely remain vacant for quite some time. Most grocer interest has now passed and if the equiment inside has been sold, it's most likely future would be something like an independant furniture store/Big Lots/flea markets/etc.

Gaston Co. hasn't experienced the Starbucks invasion yet??? I find that amazing...

• Thanks 1

The hh gregg & Ashley Furniture are part of the newest phase of Franklin Square that will also include some smaller retail and restaurants. The site is being developed by Ghazi who has a big part in the Two Ten Trade tower in uptown Charlotte.

There is something else new being built next to the Steak & Shake in front of Carolina Harley & Home Depot.

Also, there is serious talk of demolishing parts, or all, of Gaston Mall to make way for something new. The rumor I have been reading about is a Super Target. There is an issue with the Duhart floodplain going through the property. The city and the developer have had disucssions and I think that there are more public meetings scheduled for March.

There is a new Food Lion and some other minor stores being construced on South New Hope Road and Lowell-Bethesda.

Hope this helps whet the appetite!

What would happen to the HT if SuperTarget is built at Gaston Mall?

What would happen to the HT if SuperTarget is built at Gaston Mall?

From what I have read, they are looking at the possibilities of keeping MaryJo's and the HT and building around them. Personally, I can't see HT being squeezed any more in that spot. They probably could find a better place in the general vicinity, even though land along Franklin Blvd. is getting scarce. Maybe they will move to where the current Target is now. A building swap may be in the works. MaryJo's is too much of a Gaston County tradition to be driven out of business. If they can't work something out for that spot, I truly believe they would relocate in the county.

I read in the Gaston section of the Observer not too long ago that the Mexican restaurant that is in the parking lot on Cox road has been told they need to vacate the premisis in the very near future. Haven't heard anything about the Wachovia though.

It amazes me how that particular HT has stayed open as long as it has. Parking is not optimal and unless you KNOW it is there, you don't even notice it from I-85. I have heard rumors for about 3 years now that HT was supposed to put an HT Express in Belmont, close to downtown. But I don't think that is going to happen. There is a development across from South Point High School that is going to be a Phillips Place/Birkdale Village type of project. The latest rumor is that Lowe's Food is going to be the main store there and not HT.

Personally, I think this is going to really cause havoc in that portion of Belmont. Southpoint road is a two lane road and with all of the houses they have planned at the river and up that road are going to be a traffic nightmare! There are NO plans by the state to widen it at any point in the foreseeable future. So, if anyone is planning on building on the Peninsula in the next 5 or so years, be prepared to sit and wait.

It will take forever to get to the Starbucks at Abbey Plaza!! :yahoo:

• Like 1

I had heard that Mary Jo's was looking at relocating directly across Cox Road into the property where Ruby Tuesdays, Chuck E Cheese, and Olive Garden are located. That option makes alot of sense to me considering it would put them very near the old location. Plus they could build a new building and be the primary store and have direct access, rather than going into the mall. Not to mention if the property owner allowed it, they could build the new building and have spaces on either side for smaller stores and get the rental income for using the space. But, like I said I dont know if the land owner would go for that.

One of my friends family lives close to South Point HS off, I'm not sure the name of the road but it connects South Point Road to where all those new homes were built with the brick wall surrounding them....anyway...their property backs up to the property where that new commercial development off South Point is going to go. Just amazing the growth, becuase I can remember playing out in those woods and feeling like we were far away from everything.

From what I have read, they are looking at the possibilities of keeping MaryJo's and the HT and building around them. Personally, I can't see HT being squeezed any more in that spot. They probably could find a better place in the general vicinity, even though land along Franklin Blvd. is getting scarce. Maybe they will move to where the current Target is now. A building swap may be in the works. MaryJo's is too much of a Gaston County tradition to be driven out of business. If they can't work something out for that spot, I truly believe they would relocate in the county.

I read in the Gaston section of the Observer not too long ago that the Mexican restaurant that is in the parking lot on Cox road has been told they need to vacate the premisis in the very near future. Haven't heard anything about the Wachovia though.

It amazes me how that particular HT has stayed open as long as it has. Parking is not optimal and unless you KNOW it is there, you don't even notice it from I-85. I have heard rumors for about 3 years now that HT was supposed to put an HT Express in Belmont, close to downtown. But I don't think that is going to happen. There is a development across from South Point High School that is going to be a Phillips Place/Birkdale Village type of project. The latest rumor is that Lowe's Food is going to be the main store there and not HT.

Personally, I think this is going to really cause havoc in that portion of Belmont. Southpoint road is a two lane road and with all of the houses they have planned at the river and up that road are going to be a traffic nightmare! There are NO plans by the state to widen it at any point in the foreseeable future. So, if anyone is planning on building on the Peninsula in the next 5 or so years, be prepared to sit and wait.

It will take forever to get to the Starbucks at Abbey Plaza!! :yahoo:

Do keep in mind Harris Teeter closed their store in that Roses shopping center years ago too in Belmont. I think as far as South Point, the area south around Lake Wylie and South Fork is growing with some new upscale development, so I can see something happening there. As far as Gaston Mall, I think it would make sense if the SuperTarget was put where GM is and then HT taking Target's current location or working something out.

It's sad how the talk of gastonia is all about chain stores and strip malls. Having grown up there, I can't say I didn't expect it.

The sad thing is that the loray mill and downtown have not been picked up by renovations/refurbishing. Both have missed the wrecking balls. They both have potential to be gold mines. However, Gastonia has an obvious stigma that I don't see going away anytime soon. I know that I (like many I grew up with) will not be returning after college.

It's sad how the talk of gastonia is all about chain stores and strip malls. Having grown up there, I can't say I didn't expect it.

The sad thing is that the loray mill and downtown have not been picked up by renovations/refurbishing. Both have missed the wrecking balls. They both have potential to be gold mines. However, Gastonia has an obvious stigma that I don't see going away anytime soon. I know that I (like many I grew up with) will not be returning after college.

It always frustrated me that everything in Gastonia was located in Franklin Square or that vicinity. The downtown area has some good features and has some potential, but its just not being lived up to. I can't imagine what the planners over there were thinking when they allowed Franklin Square to happen. And the idea of it expaning isn't very appealing to me.

Is there any other retail gravitating to the new Walmart on W Franklin?

Now, help me out here, as its been several years since I've had to be in Gastonia. Is Gaston Mall the 'old' mall? What is the name of the 'new' mall? It seems to me like that place was doing ok.

The best reason I can come up for why retail and commerce has shifted away from the downtown, is that it is like many other cities in america. The car did it in. In the 70's leaders thought a facelift would help. So Main St was closed for a long period of time. This killed remaining businesses. To make matters worse, doctors and lawyers moved away for similar reasons (also fueled by our new adversion to downtown crime and percieved lack of parking (ha). Now banking regional/county offices and the left over textile industry corp offices, too. What is left is some lawyers, government, churches, and bums.

There is also an issue of who has and does own the buildings and lots downtown. One large player is an equivilant to aslum lord and will not cater or sell for renovation/refurbishing prodjects. He has also let his properties decay. Some more reasons for the lack of return to downtown is the recent downturn of it's economy and general lag in design and planning (due to it's misled conservative ideals of small gov. and bad taste alike).

As to the malls... Gaston Mall--the old one-- is on Cox Rd. It is the one in valley/depression (both economically and physically). The "new mall" was built in the 70's and has been renovated. I think Westgate(?) now owns it. It was "East(something) Mall." It has JC Penny, Sears, Belk, and Dillards as anchors. Maybe this has changed--I haven't been there in atleast 3 years.

Edited by frey

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just FYI..

#1. Financing is all but in place for the Loray Mill renovation project. If this thing actually does get some legs, it could revitilize the entire western side of Gastonia.

#2. Gaston Mall is an unmitigated dump. The mens toilets in the mall are barely function, as one of the bathrooms has no doors on the stalls while all of them are constantly overflowing. There is nothing worth saving in that mall, save HT and Mary Jo's. The cafeteria is one of the most dreadful restaurants in the entire Charlotte region. Needless to say, I cant wait to dance on it's grave once it's demolished.

Edited by QC704

What ever happened to that plan for a freeway/toll road to the south of Gastonia, that would loop around and eventually connect to 321 going north?

I believe it is still in the "planning" stages. They are still doing the environmental studies on which corridor to use along the southern border of the county and SC.

I think last summer there was a public meeting in Belmont that had information on the possible routes and future interchanges. I remember seeing plans for the interchange and S. New Hope Rd. near the Botanical Garden. There were plans for retail and apartments/condos all around the interchange.

Charlotte is slowly creeping our way folks! It is only a matter of time before the real congestion hits our little piece of heaven in rural Gaston County. I wonder how long it will take to lose the "County" stigma though........

By the way, I noticed last week that the old Boston Market is now GONE from in front of Franklin Square - by Best Buy. Does anyone have info on what is replacing it?

Also, there is a small building going up next to Steak N' Shake by Cox Rd. Any info on that UP'ers?

And while I'm asking 20,000 questions, is there any timeline on the Ghazi development in front of the HH Gregg and Ashley Furniture store? I am very curious to see what is going to go in that development!

• Like 1

The small building going up next to Steak N' Shake by Cox Rd. is a Cookout.

News from Belmont:

Construction has begun on the Hampton Inn near the new Wal-Mart which is part of the Montcross area. Furture business reported to come are Lowes, Cracker Barrell and Longhorn Steakhouse.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The small building going up next to Steak N' Shake by Cox Rd. is a Cookout.

News from Belmont:

Construction has begun on the Hampton Inn near the new Wal-Mart which is part of the Montcross area. Furture business reported to come are Lowes, Cracker Barrell and Longhorn Steakhouse.

Poor Belmont :(.

I hope it doesnt go the way of most of the small towns in southern meck/western union counties.

• Thanks 1

I kind of understand what you mean by hoping it doesn't go by the wayside. I do think they are trying to preserve as much of the downtown as possible. It is the wooded, more "rural" areas of Belmont that are under seige. (i.e. Southpointe).

BTW - Does anyone have any information on the Ghazi project on Franklin? The development in front of HH Gregg & Ashley Home looks like it will be pretty decent.

And looking to see also if anyone knows what will take the place of Boston Market in Franklin Square.

:unsure:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

BTW - Does anyone have any information on the Ghazi project on Franklin? The development in front of HH Gregg & Ashley Home looks like it will be pretty decent.

And looking to see also if anyone knows what will take the place of Boston Market in Franklin Square.

You must be talking about the buildings that are being constructed practically right on the road. There are several things I don't like about that project. First, what you see as you drive by is the back of the building and service entrances. There isn't any interesting architecture, just plain walls, except for glass at a couple of the building corners. Second, you can barely see Ashley and HH Gregg not that I care to see them, but if I were those businesses I would be upset.

Third, the buildings are so close to the road they had to provide a decel/accel lane. Even with that short lane entering and exiting from Franklin could be difficult and dangerous. The sight distance is limited.

Verizon Wireless is taking Boston Market place according to the sign out front.

Anyone know anything about COOKOUT BURGERS next to Steak and Shake? Are there others somewhere else, are they any good, etc?

• Like 1