Gastonia

nova72asu

It seems Cookout has gone on a major expansion in the Charlotte area lately. Definitely not gonna complain though because Cookout is delicious.

Apparently they have two stores coming or already built in Gastonia. I know where one is...next to Shake and steak on Franklin.

Anyone know where the other is?

I did some research on Cookout and sure enough there isn't anything really solid.

Does anyone know what stores are going into the development directly in front of HH Gregg and Ashley?

Apparently they have two stores coming or already built in Gastonia. I know where one is...next to Shake and steak on Franklin.

Anyone know where the other is?

I did some research on Cookout and sure enough there isn't anything really solid.

Does anyone know what stores are going into the development directly in front of HH Gregg and Ashley?

The other Cookout is on Freedom Drive across from Showmars. Has only been open about a year or so.

• Like 1

The other Cookout is on Freedom Drive across from Showmars. Has only been open about a year or so.

^That location would be in Charlotte, not Gastonia^

See post from this link, noted below.

http://jayseae.cxliv.org/2006/04/09/cook_o...te_nc_28212.php

"As for locations... as of today there are 39 all over NC... Keep looking in your area, we have 8 new stores going up in the next few months. Sunset and Sharon Amity in Charlotte opened a few months ago, and we have Lincolnton, Gastonia (2), and several more in the Charlotte area."

Gastonia (2) - Franklin Road next to shake and steak, where is the other?

Heard today that the new Ghazi development should have Moe's Southwest Grill and that Longhorn is moving from its current location over by Gaston Mall.

There will be at least one other restaurant and other shops, but my source didn't have much more information than that.

:thumbsup:

Heard today that the new Ghazi development should have Moe's Southwest Grill and that Longhorn is moving from its current location over by Gaston Mall.

There will be at least one other restaurant and other shops, but my source didn't have much more information than that.

:thumbsup:

I'd be shocked if it wasnt a carrabba's, they've been in the rumor mill for what seems like 3-4 years.

I guess longhorn is moving because of the closing of Gaston Mall.

I have heard SuperTarget is coming to the Gaston Mall location.

Anyone else heard anything about that?

When I worked at Best Buy in Gastonia, our managers told us they are tearing down Gaston Mall and replacing it with a power center consisting of Super Target, Best Buy, Dick's and another store I forgot. I presume any new deal would include Mary Jo's also.

When I worked at Best Buy in Gastonia, our managers told us they are tearing down Gaston Mall and replacing it with a power center consisting of Super Target, Best Buy, Dick's and another store I forgot. I presume any new deal would include Mary Jo's also.

If that happens, that will suck for franklin square to lose BestBuy and have a big vacant spot.

MaryJo's is so popular, not only in the southeast but even somewhat known across the country. i would hope they could find a way to stay at the location or find a new location nearby just to keep it familiar with those who shop there.

If that happens, that will suck for franklin square to lose BestBuy and have a big vacant spot.

MaryJo's is so popular, not only in the southeast but even somewhat known across the country. i would hope they could find a way to stay at the location or find a new location nearby just to keep it familiar with those who shop there.

Yes, that is true. They've always had good luck filling the big spots in that center though. It's had an above average rate of turnover with stores there since it opened. Toys R Us has been looking to get in that area for probably 6-7 years and Babies R Us isnt in the market yet either.

One thing that the demolishing will do is revive Akers Center, Gastonia's first strip center. Alot of Gaston Mall's stores are going to be heading over there, led by Jackson's Cafeteria.

Edited by QC704

I'm not familar with the name of the center where Target and Toys R Us is located. I'm assuming that is called Akers Center. I lived in Gastonia all my life and I never noticed. I just always refered to it as where Toys R Us is.

If best buy moved, do you think, not only Toys R Us would look at the location in Franklin, but also Hobby Lobby. I know they haven't been at the current location long.

Any idea about who the developers or anyone one working on the Gaston Mall demo/redevelopment project might be?

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this what was meant with the original post - but just read in the Gaston section of the Observer this morning that there is some sort of development near Ashbrook.

I believe that the area behind the Eckerd (soon to be Rite Aid) will be devloped by a company called Stanbery Development of Columbus, OH.

Starbucks is being tossed around as a possible tenant! So I guess the space at the A&W/Long John Silver's place in Belmont was a bust.

The development on New Hope as described by the Gazette has franklin square like qualities. I cant remember the size but it has alot of more "upscale" tenants that arent currently located in Gastonia. Jos A. Bank, Coldwater Creek, Ann Taylor Loft, etc. are the kinds of stores that were included in the drawing plus other outparcels.

Here's an excerpt from Thomas Monigan's blog at the gazette on the new center. FWIW, the rezoning was approved so the center has the green light from everything I understand:

SOMETIMES THE WHOLE DAY CHANGES WHEN THE PHONE RINGS. Some days are netter than others in this regard. Thanks to my Mystery Caller (You know who you are) who supplied the tip on The Shoppes at Gastonia. This will be on McLean Family land close to Ashbrook HS and the intersection of South New Hope and Redbud. Plans call for 128,500 square feet of retail space on 17.3 acres. Plans for The Shoppes at Gastonia will be presented at the June 7 meeting of the Gastonia Planning Commission. If approved, completion would be targeted for late 2009. Stanberry Development, based in Columbus, Ohio, would be leasing the land from Les McLean, who grew up in a house on that site. Greg Hall, Stanbery

• 3 months later...

Doesn't this thread belong in the Charlotte section???

No, look at the section description for Charlotte. "Charlotte: Charlotte Skyscrapers, Mass Transit Plans, Highways, Construction Projects, Rumors"

Doesn't say anything about Charlotte region, surrounding counties or municipalities.

Also the issues concerning Charlotte are different than those that concern Gastonia.

Thats why I started this thread under NC Forum.

Also, if I'm not mistaken in order for a region/area/city to get its own Section it needs to have significant activity under the State forum first. At least that is how it worked for Statesboro, GA and how they got their own Section.

No, look at the section description for Charlotte. "Charlotte: Charlotte Skyscrapers, Mass Transit Plans, Highways, Construction Projects, Rumors"

Doesn't say anything about Charlotte region, surrounding counties or municipalities.

Also the issues concerning Charlotte are different than those that concern Gastonia.

Thats why I started this thread under NC Forum.

Also, if I'm not mistaken in order for a region/area/city to get its own Section it needs to have significant activity under the State forum first. At least that is how it worked for Statesboro, GA and how they got their own Section.

I hope you guys get your own sub forum, but I hope you have patience because its taking forever for Fayetteville. I mean look at all the development. I guess when the city starts creating skyscrapers then will finally have ours.... LOL

If you drive through Fort Bragg, you would be amazed with all the development & in Hope Mills, NC with the future residential density around the Hope Mills Lake (Downtown Hope Mills).