Gastonia

nova72asu

No, look at the section description for Charlotte. "Charlotte: Charlotte Skyscrapers, Mass Transit Plans, Highways, Construction Projects, Rumors"

Doesn't say anything about Charlotte region, surrounding counties or municipalities.

Also the issues concerning Charlotte are different than those that concern Gastonia.

Thats why I started this thread under NC Forum.

Also, if I'm not mistaken in order for a region/area/city to get its own Section it needs to have significant activity under the State forum first. At least that is how it worked for Statesboro, GA and how they got their own Section.

True it doesn't say anything about Charlotte region, surrounding counties or municipalities. But places like Mooresville, Concord, and Kannapolis are often discussed there. You also can find multiple threads on those surrounding cities there. This topic should be pinned in the Charlotte sub forum. Fayetteville probably is the only area of NC that could have a sub forum outside of the ones we currently have.

Edited by Creasy336

True it doesn't say anything about Charlotte region, surrounding counties or municipalities. But places like Mooresville, Concord, and Kannapolis are often discussed there. You also can find multiple threads on those surrounding cities there. This topic should be pinned in the Charlotte sub forum. Fayetteville probably is the only area of NC that could have a sub forum outside of the ones we currently have.

I dont really see why you care.

I think there could be a Section for Charlotte alone and a seperate Section similar to Triad or Triangle that covers the municipalities surrounding Charlotte including gastonia.

I also think there should be a Section for the Unifour Counties around Hickory.

But I'm not a mod/admin and neither are you so it doesnt really matter what we think does it?

Oh great now this thread is burried under all the threads that are directly related to Charlotte. I hope this thread doesn't die like the other Gastonia threads in the Charlotte section.

I have moved this topic back to NC because of the reason you state. It was moved by mistake. We are not quite sure what to do about the municipalities around Charlotte and are open to suggestions. Please either send a PM or create another topic on it as this topic on it. Thanks

^Just to reinforce what metro said- we have debated this in the moderator's section for quite a while and we have not reached a conclusion yet. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, please PM one of us or start a new topic if you like. All of the cities around Charlotte fall into this category- Gastonia, Rock Hill, Concord, Monroe, etc...

• 4 weeks later...

According to a post made by member DigitalSky in the Charlotte Coffee House, Gastonia will be getting some new "high end" retail off New Hope Rd. This project was mentioned above, but lacked details. I did a bit of google searching and came up with websites for the consulting firm and developer involved (see below).

The development is proposed by Stanbery Development and Mason Retail Group. On stanbery's website they provide some information and you can download a very cool brochure. This is there website http://www.stanbery.com/index.asp?retail.d...pes-at-gastonia

Mason Retail group has been in existance since 2000. They consult and represent small to large retail companies and landlords for shopping centers. Check out their website fo more information http://www.masonretailgroup.com/aboutmrg.html

I'm glad to see some retail activity occuring somewhere other than Franklin Blvd/ Franklin Square area.

Edited by nova72asu

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know what is underconstruction in Stanley, NC on north/east side of HWY 27 just past (heading towards Mt. Holly) the new Stanley Market Place (Food Lion)?

They are clearing land there and I have heard rumors about various resturants but nothing firm. My google searching did not return anything worthwhile either. I did discover that according to the Gaston County GIS the property is named as part of Stanley Market Place and is owned by Catawba Land & Development, LLC. I didn't find anything about this group. All the information on Stanley Market Place I found only relates to the newly constructed FoodLion and attached retail spaces.

Construction work has begun on the Gaston Mall property. Max's Mexican Eatery has been demolished and a large retaining wall has been constructed along Cox Rd. I'm not sure if somthing is being built in that corner or if it will be parking area.

I haven't seen any site plans for this development, if anyone knows where I could view one online I'd appreciate a link. Is there an official name for this development/redevelopment yet?

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what is underconstruction in Stanley, NC on north/east side of HWY 27 just past (heading towards Mt. Holly) the new Stanley Market Place (Food Lion)?

They are clearing land there and I have heard rumors about various resturants but nothing firm. My google searching did not return anything worthwhile either. I did discover that according to the Gaston County GIS the property is named as part of Stanley Market Place and is owned by Catawba Land & Development, LLC. I didn't find anything about this group. All the information on Stanley Market Place I found only relates to the newly constructed FoodLion and attached retail spaces.

From what I hear it is a Bojangles and an auto parts store. Not certain if anything else.

I drive by Franklin Square every day I work, looking forward to see how that side of town works out, while also sad to see gaston mall go. It might be old, but I remember going to that hobby shop as a kid (now 33).

Speaking of feeling old, anyone remember when Mary Jo's was located in Dallas? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Construction work has begun on the Gaston Mall property. Max's Mexican Eatery has been demolished and a large retaining wall has been constructed along Cox Rd. I'm not sure if somthing is being built in that corner or if it will be parking area.

I'm sorry to hear Max's is gone. That was one of my few favorite mexican joints in Gastonia. That and the one on Garrison that I can never think of what its called.

• 3 weeks later...

Bojangles is coming soon to Stanley, NC see franchise website here...

http://www.bojangleskbo.com/locations.htm

There are buildings being constructed next to the retaining wall where Max's used to be.

McCallister's Deli has a sign up for the site. I like McCallister's alot, had one in Boone I ate at while in college.

I haven't heard anything else about the development on New Hope with the high end retail.

I did notice a new Food Lion on New Hope.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is going next to Johnny B's at the Bi-Lo shopping center on New Hope?

It looks industrial from the front facade that faces Sonic. Kind of small, so not sure it would be

another restaurant. :dontknow:

I'm assuming you are talking about the outparcel in the north-east corner of the BI-LO Center.

Well I did the typical google and webgis digging. The current owner listed on the County GIS system has an address of 319 S Sharon Amity Rd STE 300. I googled that address and came up with Sree Hotels. I google Sree and found their website, here:

http://www.sree.com/

This seems like an odd location for a hotel to me. It could be owner listed on the County GIS sold the property to whomever is developing it now. Are their any signs post advertising the construction firm or engineering firm?

• 2 weeks later...

Major development planned for Cramerton.

See news articles here:

http://www.charlotte.com/485/story/652780.html

http://www.gastongazette.com/news/peoples_..._cramerton.html

See the developers website here:

http://www.hoppercommunities.com/

The proposed development would double the population of the town. It is a mixed use development covering 143 acres. The developer filed for annexation by Cramerton. The developer is expecting construction to begin in 5-6 months and build out in 5 years.

My take on this is wait and see. There has been a similar development in the Town of Catawba, Catawba County, that was approved in late 2006/early 07 and there hasn't been a single shovel of dirt moved yet. Also, I find it strange that this development is part of Cramerton when it is closer to McAdenville.

Anyhow, here is the site in GoogleMaps

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.253247,-...p;t=h&hl=en

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just read that Hanes is closing its plant in Gastonia, as well as 3 other NC locations....the largest US plant, located in Eden, an inventory warehouse in Rockingham and a textile plant in Forest City. In all, Hanes is closing 7 plants and all 4 in closing in the US are in NC.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know what happen to Gap, Goody's and Friedman's Jewelers in Gaston Mall?

In other News.....

Bosch Tools and Cochrane Furniture in Lincoln County are closing.

Here are a few news articles about the closings.

http://lincolntribune.com/modules/news/art...hp?storyid=8147

http://www2.nccommerce.com/eclipsfiles/18583.pdf

http://www.lincolntimesnews.com/Default.asp?VA=17245

• 5 months later...

Just a little bump on this topic...

Was at Gaston Mall not too long ago and they are making some interesting progress on the new layout. Now, if we can get some new info on the Target that is supposed to go there and when is the rest of the section (Media Play) going to be torn down or redone!!

Some new restaurants that are open or in the works are the Hickory Tavern across from Lowe's Food on Gaston Day School Road. That is supposed to open late summer.

New deli/sandwich shop in downtown Cramerton is AWESOME!! I highly recommend it! Locally owned/operated - best type of business to patronize! H & M Deli & Market is the name.

Flip Flops is open in the shopping center with HH Gregg & Ashley Furniture.