Gastonia

nova72asu

Sounds like a developer has an FHA loan approved to transform the Loray Mill into residential space. Construction may begin in August.

The $39 million first phase includes 190 loft apartments, 79,000 square feet of commercial space and 34,000 square feet of amenities including a gym, swimming pool and event space.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/06/25/3340773/gastonia-loray-mill-project-gets.html

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Thought I would bump this thread to hear/see anyone's opinions on a lot of the development that has been going on in and around G-Town since the last post almost a year ago.  I think that the old Gaston Mall redevelopment has definitely helped a lot - even though traffic can be a real pain.  And reading that Blockbuster is closing with the sale of the building, I'm wondering what will happen to that crunched up corner of real estate.  The return of HT (hopefully) is a good thing in my eyes along with the long shot potential of Publix entering the market as well.  Belmont/Cramerton area REALLY needs a good grocery store, however any development talk runs up against the behemoth WalMart near Belmont Abbey and hits resistance.

Loray Mills finally getting off the ground is a good sign that Gastonia is taking steps in the right direction to be a decent player in the bigger metro market.  But the interesting aspect is that Gaston County is still one of the better places to live in the area IMHO and doesn't have as many problems (i.e. congestion, traffic sprawl) as Union, Cabarrus, southern Iredell counties.

• Like 1

Cheddars in Gastonia is amazingly awesome!

Blockbuster shouldn't sit empty long. This area is prime real estate. Tearing down the old mall was a huge game changed for that side of Gastonia. Meanwhile, all the stores that left New Hope/Franklin continue to fall one by one. I'd like to see Hobby Lobby move closer to all the action BUT you'd have an empty Target, empty Toys R US empty Hobby Lobby and the other side of New Hope wouldn't be much better with Roses & Office Depot jumping ship to all the action also.

• 1 year later...

I haven't seen anyone post about this, even though it has been lurking in the background for quite some time.  The scope of this is massive and I am very afraid of the impact it will have on several fronts.  First, the Stowe Botanical Garden, the Carolina Thread Trail that goes along the lakefront, Lake Wylie itself and New Hope Road/Pole Branch Road traffic.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2015/01/800-home-lake-wylie-community-planned-on-former.html

I totally understand progress and that Gaston County continues to be a more desirable place to live, but 800 homes?  My understanding is that when this whole development was originally considered, it was somewhere in the ballpark of 1,400 homes.  So I guess we should be happy that it has been scaled back to just 800.

The sanctity and serenity of this area of Gaston County will, IMHO, be irreversibly changed for the worse.  The Botanical Garden will not have the quietness and solitude it currently has with all of the development that this will bring.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/22/2019 at 10:42 AM, rancenc said:

Potential redevelopment of the Eastridge Mall property in Gastonia????..stay tune for more details.

https://www.gastongazette.com/news/20191108/gastonia-endorses-development-plan-around-eastridge-mall

I would go one step further and knock much of the interior shop  and make it smaller and open air.  However this is good plan with apartments, hotel, offices, more restaurants etc.  

also I would post this story in the Ring Cities of Charlotte UP since they may miss it here.  this is good news for that lagging mall. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...