Norfolk Civic/Government issues

vdogg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the hell was wrong with Daun Hester anyway? She seemed to do an excellent job to me and was a very non-controversial figure.

I'm not sure. I see her around all the time. She did things without evoking racial comments. Riddick is just trying to stir the hornets nest. There is no compromise and he makes everything into a racial issue even when there is nothing racial about it. We need to move foward and not live in the 60's. Hester is alot better vice mayor than Riddick could ever be.

I'm tired of his "bs". I'm writing a letter to council and to the pilot. As a norfolk resident, i'm completely embarassed by his actions and its clear to me that he is only out to serve his black constituents when we need members to look out for the greater good of all Norfolk citizens! Its time for him to step down!

I would not say that Mr. Riddick's rhetoric adequately represents his black constituents, but rather that it generally panders to an uneducated, politically ignorant segment of black society that, not always without reason, sees their relationship with predominantly-white authority as mutually antagonistic but woefully lopsided in terms of the distribution of power and resources. Of course, there is occasionally some truth behind the basic gist of Mr. Riddick's words but more often he presents a far more explicit racism than those he accuses.

I would not say that Mr. Riddick's rhetoric adequately represents his black constituents, but rather that it generally panders to an uneducated, politically ignorant segment of black society that, not always without reason, sees their relationship with predominantly-white authority as mutually antagonistic but woefully lopsided in terms of the distribution of power and resources. Of course, there is occasionally some truth behind the basic gist of Mr. Riddick's words but more often he presents a far more explicit racism than those he accuses.

I am a fairly new resident of Norfolk and it is obvious that Riddick was made Vice-Mayor for political reasons. After observing him both prior to and since moving to Norfolk, it is clear that he is of the Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton mold in his "pandering to the uneducated and politically ignorant", as per the eloquent words pf gosscj. I think Martin Luther King would look at Riddick and puke.

Daun Hester must have done something to piss off Paul Fraim for Riddick to be where he is.

Daun Hester must have done something to piss off Paul Fraim for Riddick to be where he is.

I seem to remember her mentioning a possible run for mayor the next go around, when she was asked about an opposition candidate to Fraim. I think she mentioned something to the effect of 'not this time, he gets a free ride for his stewardship of the city, but I wouldn't rule out anything beyond that.' You know, the whole thing with electing the Norfolk mayor was a HUGE mistake imo, I think I even posted here about it. The political backstabbing has already begun and its just going divide the city along racial lines like I said it would.

I've said before that Riddick is one of the biggest racists in the region and he is simply trying to turn his own embarrassment that could cost him votes into a racial issue to "unite" supporters. Can you imagine what would happen if he were a white male who was saying similar things about blacks and black cops? It would be national news and he would be condemned and forced to resign in shame, and Jesse Jackson and his ilk would be on the first available flight to ORF.

Does Norfolk have the "strong mayor elected by voters" government or is it a City Manager system that has a mayor elected by city council?

From all I read, Mr. Fraim certainly seems to be a very strong mayor, and unlike Richmond's Mayor Doug Wilder, he attends Council meetings. :lol:

Does Norfolk have the "strong mayor elected by voters" government or is it a City Manager system that has a mayor elected by city council?

For over 90+ years, the mayor was elected by city council. In May 2006, after many years of debate in the General Assembly, Norfolk citizens were able to directly elect a mayor. In that election, Fraim ran unopposed.

For over 90+ years, the mayor was elected by city council. In May 2006, after many years of debate in the General Assembly, Norfolk citizens were able to directly elect a mayor. In that election, Fraim ran unopposed.

Yes Fraim was directly elected, but the Norfolk mayor is still a weak mayor.

Nothing more than a glorified city council member!

A strong mayor would be Wilder of Richmond.

From all I read, Mr. Fraim certainly seems to be a very strong mayor, and unlike Richmond's Mayor Doug Wilder, he attends Council meetings. :lol:

While technically a weak mayor system, Fraim's duration as the city's mayor, and before that as a councilor, gives him a bigger voice than other current councilors. That said, they have already talked about making the mayor more powerful in the future, with greater authority over budgeting decision, etc. A HUGE HUGE mistake...

Paraphrased thoughts of the Norfolk City Council:

Hey, Guys! Our city council system has helped alleviate racial tensions over political rights by having a racially balanced council, and generally made for a more cooperative atmosphere between councilors, business interests, and citizens. In fact, under this system, our city has slowed (and likely reversed) our population decline, seen public school performance increase dramatically, revitalized downtown, seen property values skyrocket, seen major residential investment and renewed capital spending throughout the city to update infrastructure, but I have this idea... Let's get rid of all that so we can have a mayor (*cough me *cough*) with more power!! Hahaha YEAGGHHH (Howard Dean scream!)

What the hell was wrong with Daun Hester anyway? She seemed to do an excellent job to me and was a very non-controversial figure.

It's no big secret what happened. Fraim and the other white power brokers gave Riddick a fancy title, "vice mayor," a little cash on the side, to get rid of the threat Hester could have been. They all deserve another. Riddick may be a clown and sucker, but he is right.

It's no big secret what happened. Fraim and the other white power brokers gave Riddick a fancy title, "vice mayor," a little cash on the side, to get rid of the threat Hester could have been. They all deserve another. Riddick may be a clown and sucker, but he is right.

You're kidding me right? :huh: I personally would have trouble applying the label of truth to such a conspiracy theory, even with Norfolks obvious troubles with racism in the past. Racism is by no means dead but I think this ones a little too far fetched. All I am interested in is the actual facts that led up to the depature of Daun Hester as Vice Mayor. I never heard a full explanation of the events that transpired to cause this.

You really think Riddick is going to anywhere in a statewide election year? LOL! Kaine and Warner will call Fraim and the rest of the boys up, and let this thing die. If Democrats want to anger and enrage their Black vote in Hampton Roads and Richmond when they are trying to take back the Senate and House, go ahead and try to recall Riddick! I will love the show!

^^^I will agree with you on one thing, after reviewing the issue I do not think a recall will be the right thing. There are far too many in the black community that actually do support him and a recall will only inflame those tensions. I think the most prudent thing would be for him to step down as Vice Mayor and remain a councilman until such time as his constituents decide otherwise. It should be his constituents that initiate a call for recall, not the chief of police or any other councilman. If they don't, or they do but then a recall fails on full vote, that verdict and that position of his constituents should be honored. I fear that a full recall action initiated and sponsored by only white politicians will only served to make Riddick look like the victim that he claims to be. I think the Pat Robertson treatment will work best in this situation. Old man just keeps spoutin off at the mouth, but nobody takes him seriously.

What bothers me is if the roles were reversed and it was a white vice mayor, everyone would be calling for his head on a platter. This double standard crap has to stop and racial inflamming also has no place in this country anymore. Double standards hurt this country and communities within it. Standards are standard no matter what race you are.

Riddick is a racist and has no place for any city council. I don't care if Riddick was white and saying racial things, there is no place for this anywhere.

As a resident of the 4 ward I can tell you... it is unlikely he will be replaced any time soon. There are many who disagree with his statements. (As a city council member...you dont -publicly- blast your own police dept.) But he has a very strong base of supporters. Anyone who would run against him would get "Fraiser'ed" - as in Ali Vs. Fraiser and called everthing but an child of God... Moderate Black politicians have to walk a razor thin tight rope. Look at what happened Daun Heaster. If your too pro-black you put off whites and if your are to well liked by whites many blacks assume you must not be for us. Even Barak Obama has already been called the white man canditate in some circles..... Anybody who runs against Riddick would run that same risk.

Thats whats so disturbing!

Shouldn't voters vote for who is the best candidate, not who represents just a segment of the population?

It's like those who vote down political party lines, it doesn't matter to them what the candidate stands for because they belong to a particular party!

I always vote for who I feel is the best candidate, not which party they belong to, not what color they are, not where they come from, not by what clothes they where, not even their sexual orientation.

Archived