Why are you democrat or republican?

michaelskis

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a conservative on most of the important issues out there. I vary on a few things (I like cities, for example), but I am generally a conservative.

Since the Republican party, ideally, is the more conservative party, I call myself a Republican for now.

It is a well-put post, and I agree with much of what Spartan said. However, if the current leadership of the Republican party isn't upholding these principles, and in many cases is acting exactly opposite to these principles, they are no longer Republican principles. At some point, one has to decide between loyalty to one's party and loyalty to one's ideals. If you truly believe in "financial responsibility and less goverment influnce on our daily lives," you are not a Republican, considering what the party has become.

If I was American I would be Democrat (despite the blue dog). I like the left, wiser and more willing regarding to social issues than the right wing (easy to say "down with taxes" :rolleyes: )

In France, the right has only decriminalized the abortion in the 70's (an abortionnist woman was guillotined in 1943). Then the left made of the abortion a right, now women can abort before 12 weeks, and after if medical reasons. The abortion is refunded by the Social Security. Also, the morning-after pills are administered free by school nurses.

I'm a democrat, but I have alot of agreement with the green party. I would vote green if they had a chance of being elected. I don't ever vote green because that would be like a vote for a republican. I like the dems because they tend to be more inclusive of various groups than the republican party. My biggest issues right now would be ending the war in Iraq, equality for all Americans, including legalization of gay marriage, stricter environmental regulations to help reduce greenhouse gases, etc., much greater emphasis and access regarding mass public transportation and the legalization of some currently illegal drugs, such as marijuana. I am also concerned about the lack of access to quality health care for so many Americans. Can you see why I don't vote republican? Oh, I'm also against the death penalty.

Some typical Minnesota attitudes that pretty much sum up my view on politics:

Looks like the Republicans are mad. I will tell you what, I would rather pay higher taxes and lower the over all costs of living, have better roads and better education. The Grand Oil Party would love to see a return to the type of economics that caused the Great Depression, and they started us down that path. It seems that there are many people that can not grasp simple economics however and buy into this low tax, personal responsibility crap and the Pee on you economics where wealth trickles down. If that all worked then the top 1% of the economic ladder wouldn't own 80% of all assets. The Fact is it costs money to run government and the Government should take care of its people not the people take care of the government. And if that means that I have to pay a higher tax rate, so be it. If I have to pay a little more so may kids have a good education then thats fine. However I am not fine with paying a higher tax rate so that Bush can have a war that benefits his stock portfolio!

Chris A

Sadly, taxes help build bridges, keep roads repaired, make sure hungry kids get breakfasts, improve our schools, provide services for our elders. Health care? Talk to your neighbor or go to the next bean feed or raffle of a set of antlers by some desperate family trying to pay for cancer care or a kidney transplant. Why pay taxes? To do something for the common good, not just for yourself. The issue is not taxes, it's intelligent use of the taxing power.

kent n

I will gladly pay more taxes for better health care. The Universal Health Care system in Canada may have some flaws, but so does our current system. When I see my health care benefits declining and my premiums increasing, it doesn't exactly leave a postive impression. I broke my leg and had to pay out of pocket for the whole thing. My insurance didn't cover anything. And yet, my insurance company had a 4 billion dollar surplus in 2005 and was ordered by the federal government to give that back to customers in the form of premium breaks for a few months. Still haven't seen it. The CEO of that company stands to make 30+ million a year as a pension when he retires. I on the other hand have to choose whether I pay my hospital bills after my broken leg or whether to buy groceries and pay the heating bill.

kyla k

In my opinion, Democrats seek to improve the country by improving the quality of life for those with a poor quality of life at the cost of higher taxes for the ultra rich. Republicans seek to improve themselves at the cost of their countrymen.

A lot of people voted for the Democrats in 2006 because they were voting against Republicans more than they were voting FOR the Democrats. They had every justification in doing so. Republicans in this day and age stink to high heaven of corruption and greed.

I think you will see a major ideological shift in the parties as the baby boomers fall from power and the "echo"-boom generation overpowers Generation X (sorry, we're quite a bit bigger than you guys are.. much like the baby boom stole so much attention). I don't think we'll be getting more conservative. The days of Reaganism are numbered.

Some typical Minnesota attitudes that pretty much sum up my view on politics:

Looks like the Republicans are mad. I will tell you what, I would rather pay higher taxes and lower the over all costs of living, have better roads and better education. The Grand Oil Party would love to see a return to the type of economics that caused the Great Depression, and they started us down that path. It seems that there are many people that can not grasp simple economics however and buy into this low tax, personal responsibility crap and the Pee on you economics where wealth trickles down. If that all worked then the top 1% of the economic ladder wouldn't own 80% of all assets. The Fact is it costs money to run government and the Government should take care of its people not the people take care of the government. And if that means that I have to pay a higher tax rate, so be it. If I have to pay a little more so may kids have a good education then thats fine. However I am not fine with paying a higher tax rate so that Bush can have a war that benefits his stock portfolio!

Chris A

Sadly, taxes help build bridges, keep roads repaired, make sure hungry kids get breakfasts, improve our schools, provide services for our elders. Health care? Talk to your neighbor or go to the next bean feed or raffle of a set of antlers by some desperate family trying to pay for cancer care or a kidney transplant. Why pay taxes? To do something for the common good, not just for yourself. The issue is not taxes, it's intelligent use of the taxing power.

kent n

I will gladly pay more taxes for better health care. The Universal Health Care system in Canada may have some flaws, but so does our current system. When I see my health care benefits declining and my premiums increasing, it doesn't exactly leave a postive impression. I broke my leg and had to pay out of pocket for the whole thing. My insurance didn't cover anything. And yet, my insurance company had a 4 billion dollar surplus in 2005 and was ordered by the federal government to give that back to customers in the form of premium breaks for a few months. Still haven't seen it. The CEO of that company stands to make 30+ million a year as a pension when he retires. I on the other hand have to choose whether I pay my hospital bills after my broken leg or whether to buy groceries and pay the heating bill.

kyla k

In my opinion, Democrats seek to improve the country by improving the quality of life for those with a poor quality of life at the cost of higher taxes for the ultra rich. Republicans seek to improve themselves at the cost of their countrymen.

A lot of people voted for the Democrats in 2006 because they were voting against Republicans more than they were voting FOR the Democrats. They had every justification in doing so. Republicans in this day and age stink to high heaven of corruption and greed.

I think you will see a major ideological shift in the parties as the baby boomers fall from power and the "echo"-boom generation overpowers Generation X (sorry, we're quite a bit bigger than you guys are.. much like the baby boom stole so much attention). I don't think we'll be getting more conservative. The days of Reaganism are numbered.

I do not afilliate to any political party as I feel it would be very foolish to so for it would hinder me as voter. Thus I vote for whom I feel would be the best suited for the elected office no matter the party. If this is a question of rather one is left or right of the political and moral spectrum, I try to approach the issues of the day with an open mind and look at all sides of the box before coming to a conclusion. Rather that conclusion lands me in in the conservative end or the liberal end of the political and moral spectrum matters not to me.

The problem with property taxes paid to the county is that they are not equal and do not consider the fact that maybe there is a farmer our there with a considerable amount of land but a small income that is paying larger than his or her fair share to fund schools.

That is why, in the 1960s, a popular Republican governor worked with DFL legislators here to begin funding the school system at the state level through income taxes, which are inherently more fair as you are taxed based on your personal income rather than your property value. It was known at the time as the "Minnesota Miracle" and we were known as the state where "government worked".

This tradition has been carried over to today. Almost 80% of funding for our schools comes from the state general fund, funded by income taxes.

Texas most likely has good roads because it receives a higher amount of funding from the federal government than it pays in. Minnesota receives only 69 cents back for every federal tax dollar it pays in. Hardly fair, in my opinion.. but all those states that choose to short fund their programs in order to keep lower taxes end up getting more from their Republican law makers from the federal government while we get short changed. You can call that mean-spirited or whatever you want, but it's the truth.

Minnesota makes itself successful by itself. Our state programs, such as MinnesotaCare (a state-subsidized medical insurance provider for hte working poor) provides insurance for many workers that do not have insurance available through their work place. Minnesota also has a large grant program for college students, and actually makes up the largest portion of my financial aid outside of scholarships that I earned.

I challenge you to tell me, then, why Texas, which does not have a state income tax and does not have a terribly high gas tax, has some of the best roads in the country, can afford to build some wonderful schools, even out in the boonies, and has a highly regarded public University system, along with several pretty well regarded junior colleges. I have not even a clue how good the academics are in the schools here, but if the facilities are any clue, they must be in the top tier in the nation.

I am a registered Democrat because I believe that society has an obligation to help and protect the less fortunate through public and private means. I am also concerned about the environment, believe in a woman's right to choose and I favor universal healthcare. As a Gay American, the Democratic Party is more welcoming. The Party as a whole still has a lot of work to do regarding better promotion of gay rights. In totality though, I see no options for me at all on the other side.

• 2 weeks later...
Texas is sitting on the largest proven oil and gas reserves in this country. It makes money leasing out those reserves as well as making income in general on energy. The state as a relatively high sales tax rate of 6.25% and the cities tack on at least another 2% on top of that. Finally, because of the influence that politicians have had on the federal government (thankfully ending now) the Federal government provided close to 40% of the states budget. In other words, everyone in the USA is paying taxes to support the Texas budget.

It's not much of a challenge when one actually looks at their budget.

And in any case, I'm not sure why people SUPPORT paying higher taxes in the first place. Is that not YOUR money? If anybody else claimed they were entitled to a piece of your income, you would laugh them out of the room, and yet people, like sheep, simply submit to the idea of supporting taxes. :blink: Certain taxes, I agree, are necessary, to promote trade and infrastructure, and those I support as well, but...it always amazes me that people WANT to give more and more to an entity that has proven, time and time again, that it is not really worthy of allocating it (talking more Federal government here than state level, but can be applied to both).

Liberal democrat I am not.

Republican I am not.

I vote for whom I think can do the best job for our country, state and city.

We have too much big business in the pockets of out elected leaders for them to favor anything that will help the middle class. The middle class to the Democrat and Republican parties is a tax base for their pet projects.

I do not say all in Washington is not working for the middle class, but you have to hunt for them.

It has been 10 years before congress is going to pass a min-wage bill.

In the same time congress has had 8 or 9 pay raises.

Congress gets on too many wedge issues (gay marriage) but leaves our southern border open for anyone to cross.

Illegal immigration is a major problem in this country but I hear too many Democrats and Republicans who want to make them citizens. We have some Republicans and a few Democrats that want to enforce the immmigration laws, but too many are in big business pockets and want to keep them here at slave wages.

As long as we jump on the party wagon and vote for what turkey they put for us to vote for, it our own fault and not getting involve. We most all most get involve at the grass roots and send the best person to represents us.

Texas is sitting on the largest proven oil and gas reserves in this country. It makes money leasing out those reserves as well as making income in general on energy. The state as a relatively high sales tax rate of 6.25% and the cities tack on at least another 2% on top of that. Finally, because of the influence that politicians have had on the federal government (thankfully ending now) the Federal government provided close to 40% of the states budget. In other words, everyone in the USA is paying taxes to support the Texas budget.

It's not much of a challenge when one actually looks at their budget.

Archived