Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DetroitMan

Apple planning local store

18 posts in this topic

Sounds good. Briarwood is getting a nice selection of stores, but I still think that mall needs even more upgrades.

I agree, it would be nice to see Briarwood get an expansion similar to what's happening at Twelve Oaks Mall right now. I definately think Ann Arbor could support a Nordstrom and a few other retailers.

Yeah that's just thing. I hear how so many Ann Arbornites drive to Twelve Oaks, although I don't exactly know to what degree the two malls compete against one another. I think what Briarwood could do is build an outdoor portion like Genesee Valley in Flint did. Although, this might decrease available parking significantly. Briarwood is a rare case in malls where every parking spot can get filled during busy times. Toward the end of December, the gf and I had to park in the Olive Garden lot across Eisenhower.

That does sound like a good idea building an outdoor village. I would like to see something like the Streets of Woodfield and since parking would be a problem if something like this were built, building a few parking garages would solve that problem. Here's a link to the Streets of Woodfield. http://www.thestreetsofwoodfield.com/ BTW, is Briarwood one level or two levels.

I went to Briarwood for the first time a few years ago while in AA for some medical tests, and the first thing that struck me was how small and outdated it looked inside and out. Now, I hate malls, but if you're going to have them I say go all out. I'd always thought the malls here were a little dinky and out of date, so this was surprise. It wasn't horrible or anything, but really underwhelming considering how wealthy Ann Arbor and its surroundings, especially, are.

I hope you weren't there when they had the huge brick barriers at the center. They've since removed all those. Circulation is a bit better, although still not the greatest.

After the initial excitement of seeing the newspaper headline, was anyone else somewhat disappointed that this store was not going to be located downtown?

Not really, although it would be more convenient for students I suppose. The thing is, downtown Ann Arbor is losing the eclectic group of locally owned retail because of elevated rents. The more national retailers that come downtown, the higher rents will go up forcing more mom and pop stores to close, and replaced by stores that are found in every city. I highly doubt a downtown apple store would contribute anything more than existing retail already does.

The only thing that really excites me about this is it will be more convenient for me to get my iPod replaced the next time I drop it. Typically, I buy my apple products online. It's cool to go into the stores in Chicago and New York. They are very impressive, but the rest of their stores are pretty predictable in appearance So it's not like they would be building an architectural wonder if they located it in downtown AA.

I'm very surprised that it isn't going downtown. I went to Briarwood like twice in the 2 years I was there and that was more or less because I was in the area and had nothing better to do. Grand Traverse Mall is nicer than Briarwood

I definately think Ann Arbor could support a Nordstrom and a few other retailers.

I'm just shocked they don't have a food court. This was an innovation of the 90's. So Briarwood is only like a decade behind :(

Apple Computer was listed on Briarwood's website as coming soon but is now no longer there. Also, there is no mentioning of an Ann Arbor store on Apple's website. :o

Hopefully, this is just a mistake.

Hm. This certainly isn't proof positive, but they still have positions posted for Ann Arbor on the official website:

appleij2.jpg

I'll keep poking around, but I haven't read anything that indicates they've scrapped this location.

Hm. This certainly isn't proof positive, but they still have positions posted for Ann Arbor on the official website:

appleij2.jpg

I'll keep poking around, but I haven't read anything that indicates they've scrapped this location.

Was at Briarwood today. There's now a big Apple sign on the construction walls across from Pottery Barn.