North Boulevard Town Square

richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

North Boulevard Town Square nets B.R. economic development award

Baton Rouge's North Boulevard Town Square, which opened earlier this year, has netted the city the Louisiana Municipal Association's top economic development achievement award among Louisiana cities with populations of 25,000 or more. Mayor Kip Holden and city officials recently accepted the Community Achievement Award for Economic Development at the association's state convention in Lake Charles. The $7 million project created an acre of open green space in the heart of downtown by reconfiguring several streets near the historic Old State Capitol and the new 19th Judicial District Courthouse. The Town Square includes two stages for concerts, a fountain, tables and chairs, a covered bus stop and a media tower with a high-definition screen. "This project has taken our downtown to the next level among American cities, and that increases our ability to attract visitors and new businesses to keep our local economy strong," Holden says in a release. The $2 million second phase of the Town Square project is slated to begin later this year to extend the park east along the North Boulevard median from Fourth Street to Fifth Street, and as far west as River Road. For more information on the square, click here.

http://www.businessreport.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=daily-reportAM&date=20120813

• 3 weeks later...

The Weather Channel shines a light on North Boulevard Town Square

In case you missed it while the power was out, downtown Baton Rouge got some positive PR from The Weather Channel, which did a live broadcast Thursday from the new North Boulevard Town Square downtown. Particularly noteworthy in meteorologist Mike Seidel's report on the aftermath of Isaac in the Capital City was a shot of the 35-foot multimedia tower on Third Street, which was appropriately tuned to The Weather Channel during the broadcast. "So cool," remarked one of the network's anchors in reference to the tower. "It was really good play for downtown," says Downtown Development Director Davis Rhorer, who, coincidentally, was quoted in an article Thursday in The Quad City Times of Davenport, Iowa, about the value of downtown redevelopment. "Downtown is the soul of a city. It is a place that is created by everyone for everyone. It is a place where we may live, work and play," Rhorer is quoted as saying. "They've been going through a lot of the same things in Davenport that we have in our downtown area," he says. "They have seen what we have done and are taking a page from our play book."

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportAM

• 4 weeks later...

imgSpacer.gif

Townsquareheader3.jpg

North Boulevard Town Square Receives National Award

2012 International Downtown Association Conference

(Minneapolis, MN. September 22, 2012)-During its most recent annual conference, the International Downtown Association recognized the Baton Rouge Downtown Development District with a Downtown Merit Award for its work and initiatives related to North Boulevard Town Square.

The North Boulevard Town Square was among 22 qualified entries in the category of Public Space. This category recognizes capital improvements that enhanced the urban design, physical function, or economic viability of downtown and the community. North Boulevard Town Square was selected as the winner of the category, reflecting its ability to act as a common space where all are welcome to gather and experience the rich culture of south Louisiana. It was designed for the people, versatile enough to be used for both active and passive recreation.

Since its completion, North Boulevard Town Square has been utilized everyday for popular events ranging from quiet lunches to live concert events. The North Boulevard Town Square beacon, located at the heart of the Arts & Entertainment District, has been a focal point, continuously displaying community significant events to users of the space. Such events include; Hurricane Isaac Updates from the Weather Channel, downtown event information, the Summer Olympics, and televised football games.

davisaward_WE3.jpg North Boulevard Town Square has received seven awards from state and national organizations ranging from the Good Growth Coalition to the American Society of Landscape Architects. This award is the fifth consecutive award received by the Downtown Development District from the International Downtown Association, giving recognition to the continuous progress of Downtown Baton Rouge.

"North Boulevard Town Square has definitely become Baton Rouge's living room, attracting residents and visitors to enjoy the experiences it offers. The award is a great honor to North Boulevard Town Square and reiterates the positive response it has received from the people of Baton Rouge. The support of Mayor-President Kip Holden and the Metro Council has been instrumental in the realization of Town Square and the national recognition it continues to receive," Davis Rhorer, Executive Director of the Downtown Development District said in the news release.

nbts_logo_thumb.JPG"Downtown Development's project received the IDA Merit Award for delivering excellence in downtown management. Each year the IDA Awards Jury recognizes organizations that utilize best practices in our industry. The North Boulevard Town Square is a shining example of excellent downtown management that delivers real results." - David Downey, IDA President and CEO

The Washington, D.C. based International Downtown Association (IDA) is a champion for vital and livable urban centers and strives to inform, influence, and inspire downtown leaders and advocates. With 550 downtown organization members and thousands of friends, IDA is a guiding force in creating healthy and dynamic centers that anchor the well-being of towns, cities, and regions.

See the links below to stay current with Town Square happenings.

townsquarebr.org

www.facebook.com/townsquarebr

twitter: @townsquarebr

TownSquare_Header.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

TOWN SQUARE: Rhorer said the $1 million sculpture that will serve as the canopy for a stage for live performances at the town square will arrive in several pieces on Nov. 15.

It will then take about two weeks to assemble and another two weeks to add the stainless steel cladding to the surface.

The piece, paid for out of the state sales tax rebate fund, will support a truss system that will be put in place for downtown concerts and other performances.

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/4109931-123/pharmacy-planned-downtown-for-downtown

$1 million dollar tent. Wow. Need to remember that next time the city says they need to pass a new tax.

Suggesting a new tax is toxic in these economic times.....all over the country.

Holden's (or whoever's the next mayor) chance of a future tax was dead after Alive, no pun intended. This canopy is just going to be a monument to waste for all tax opponents.

Politically, this was a stupid move and probably sent the city back in the long run. The last thing we need is a picture of this thing in the paper not being used or collecting bird crap.

That $1 million could have gone very far with new sidewalks, landscaping, cross walks, and about 100 other things downtown that aren't frivolous and couldn't easily be spun that way.

It wouldn't take much to make it look like it isn't used.

That's what I'm worried about.

It's also adjacent to what will be the new library and the giant new courthouse.

I think they are going a few steps too far, and it could backfire.

They really should have spread things around better....for political and practical reasons. What is the point of going above and beyond what is necessary to make North Blvd look great while police HQ sits a quarter mile away in a building that is collapsing on itself?

I question a city's priorities with this kind of foolishness.

Edited by cajun

I don't think the stage's proximity to the courthouse and new library will be a problem. It hasn't been a major problem the years before it began construction, why should it be now?

For a second I thought you meant the downtown substation, but yes the Highland Rd substation desperately needs to be demolished and a new and improved building needs to be built in the area, even with a detox for drunk LSU students and football fans.

Democrats favor the investment model, I mostly agree with it, however I wouldn't say that I would agree with 110% of what the city has done.

You know what I mean, Cajun.

I guess I don't see much grey area here and I'm overly eager to point out perceived hypocrisy. I was debating this very topic (regarding a similar project in Atlanta) with a friend of mine recently who I expected more common sense from. Glad you seem to be a little more level headed than him.

North Blvd would not be possible without the citizens and their tax dollars as well as their private spending downtown.

Some choose to forgot the key differences between private and public capital in society today. Concentrated investment is risky. Risk is better handled and mitigated in the private sector. When someone say that a politican did something for them, they often forget where the ideas and funding comes from. It's especially pervasive in Louisiana where Huey Long still shapes the populist attitudes today.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

FOL2012header_email.jpg

Downtown Festival of Lights

North Boulevard Town Square

Friday, November 30th

4 p.m. - 9 p.m.

*Free Parking in River Center Parking Garages!

Join us under downtown's historic oaks to commemorate Baton Rouge's oldest holiday tradition. Transforming the winter sky into a wonderland, North Boulevard will be lit with half a million sparkling lights. Experience the magic beneath the 35-foot Christmas tree in North Boulevard Town Square. Enjoy free ice skating and play in six tons of real snow at the Snow Village. Roaming performers will be on hand including a balloon artist, stilt walkers, and more. Visit Santa's Gift Shop and listen to holiday music during an evening of visual, and performing arts. Don't miss the many downtown holiday open houses and art showings. Below is a list of events for you to celebrate the season with us!

CLICK HERE TO EXPLORE THE EXCITEMENT OF THE FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS!!!

Please view the attached flyer to check out what Downtown Baton Rouge has to offer throughout the month of December!

2012 Holiday Season Schedule of Events

Festival of Lights Map

This is a great time of year to visit all Special Holiday Gift Shops downtown! For all of your Holiday Shopping needs please visit one of the many shops in the downtown area! Specialty items and gift certificates available at local coffee shops, spas, and other area merchants. For contact information please check out the link:

Downtown Merchant Listing

festivaloflightssitemap.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly in favor of the local tax n' spend model, but hate it at the national level. With local taxes I feel like I get to reap the benefits--or at least have the option of reaping the benefits--more. 

That said, its been nice spending on downtown. The area deserved it, and what they've done is very impressive. Now's probably a good time to let private investment take over for awhile. Other neighborhoods can use some attention from the taxpayer dollars. 

• Like 1

Mostly in favor of the local tax n' spend model, but hate it at the national level. With local taxes I feel like I get to reap the benefits--or at least have the option of reaping the benefits--more.

That said, its been nice spending on downtown. The area deserved it, and what they've done is very impressive. Now's probably a good time to let private investment take over for awhile. Other neighborhoods can use some attention from the taxpayer dollars.

I feel the same way. I don't think it is hypocritical to go one way on a local level sometimes and the other on a national level. Different problems, different solutions.

Downtown stage sculpture construction begins

The stage canopy, called “The Crest,” will be a 65,000-pound, 35-foot tall, curved oval which will act as both a piece of public art in North Boulevard Town Square and as a functional performance stage cover to hold up lighting and sound equipment.

The sculpture, designed by Trahan Architects, is 16,700 square feet of stainless steel, and is 85 feet in length and 45 wide, said Mark Hash, one of the architects.

The canopy is made up of 14 segments, which will be assembled over the next two weeks. Contractors bolted in the base of the structure, which is the heaviest segment, on Monday, Hash said.

Davis Rhorer, executive director of the Downtown Development District, said the project should be fully complete and ready to be enjoyed by the public in February.

http://theadvocate.com/home/4650220-125/downtown-stage-sculpture-construction-begins

Edited by richyb83