Muskegon of the Past

Eridony

Great photo! You can see the Square under construction next to Krautiem's. I did not realize the Second Ave first floor windows were originally different. They have looked like they do now for as long as I can remember. Thanks for posting this.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Square was a high end men's clothing store. It closed in the early 1980's.

All the streets were one-way at one time. Western and Clay were changed back to two-way after the Mall was built. Changing back Muskegon, Webster, First, and Second is just the final step of a process of turn-back that started in the med 1970's.

Ah, thanks. I never knew Western and Clay were one way streets. It's not very surprising though since many cities had their downtown streets flow in one direction during that period.

Here is another photo of the Michigan Theater. From the look of the cars I'm guessing the theater hadn't been around for very long when this was taken.

2324701753_35d79f1275_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I not sure of this information, but as I remember from one of my college marketing classes, it was due to the fact the Century Club didn't want to be a part of the downtown mall and the same with the Daniels business. The original mall was to connect with the LC Walker Arena. The point is that not everyone wanted to be a part of the mall. But I am scratching some old brain cells here. I'm just glad it's gone, the mall, but not the destruction of all the buildings. I like old buildings, the history it holds. Where I live the beams are over 200 years old. Some pieces of wood that where removed from the rebuilding of the Century Club, the rings in the wood were narrow and tight. Just beautiful wood. We'll never see wood like this again.

I not sure of this information, but as I remember from one of my college marketing classes, it was due to the fact the Century Club didn't want to be a part of the downtown mall and the same with the Daniels business. The original mall was to connect with the LC Walker Arena. The point is that not everyone wanted to be a part of the mall. But I am scratching some old brain cells here. I'm just glad it's gone, the mall, but not the destruction of all the buildings. I like old buildings, the history it holds. Where I live the beams are over 200 years old. Some pieces of wood that where removed from the rebuilding of the Century Club, the rings in the wood were narrow and tight. Just beautiful wood. We'll never see wood like this again.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived