Shaw/St. Aug Football Stadium in Raleigh

citiboi27610

My beef is that this would have done wonders for downtown nightlife on Saturdays and Sundays. With a influx of potentially 12,500 new consumers each weekend on football season, how could having the staduim downtown not work?

And from the article the city would only keep open the hotel-luxury tax (1/2cent) and pay about $13 million to the grand total cost of $35 million. So less than half. How many cities get asked to pay less than half on a new staduim?

The tax has also helped pay for a new convention center downtown.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shaw restarted their football program only a few years ago, but they have started to build a good fan base among alumni and their neighbors. St. Augs wanted to build a stadium on its campus, but neighbors complained about the noise and traffic. The shared stadium was proposed to pool resources, reduce duplication, and build a facility that could be used for other events.

The County commissioners did not vote to withhold funding for the stadium -- they voted to not even *consider* the stadium.

The board's three Democrats -- Betty Lou Ward, Harold Webb and Lindy Brown -- wanted to discuss the report further in a joint meeting with the Raleigh City Council and the heads of the two colleges.

Last time I checked, football fields are the same size for high school and college. The facility could be used for high school football on Friday nights, Shaw or St. Augs on Saturdays. A practice field could be used for Coble's youth soccer during the spring and summer when college and high school football are out of season.

Is the hotel/motel tax the same one that funds the RCC construction? So is this money just sitting there unused?

My beef is that this would have done wonders for downtown nightlife on Saturdays and Sundays. With a influx of potentially 12,500 new consumers each weekend on football season, how could having the staduim downtown not work?

The Wake County prepared foods tax is a one percent tax approved by the NC General Assembly to fund attractions that would attract out of county visitors. The room occupancy tax is a 6% charge on hotels, etc.

Most of this money is allocated to paying down the debt of the RBC Center and the Convention Center, but a few million dollars a year is used for other projects. The two taxes have partially paid for the RBC Center, the new Convention Center, SAS Soccer Park, Exploris and its Imax theater, the NC Museum of Art, the Cary aquatics center, and other projects. I could not find a year by year breakdown for which projects received money.

The $75,000 report (partially funded by Wake County) released a few weeks ago stated a developer chosen to build the stadium for $30 million would also want surrounding land to build supporting businesses -- restaurants, etc. This is one reason that soured the Watson Flea Market location. It is "landlocked" by 440, the wetlands, and the women's prison. To halt further discussion of a stadium with the city of Raleigh or the universities is a slap in the face. The feasability study was specifically for a shared football stadium between St. Augs and Shaw.

There might be some spillover to the CBD, but not directly. People in town for a game would likely eat in a restaurant before and/or after a game. The away team would often spend a night in a hotel, as would both teams' fans. I think the city and university representatives didn't think they had to be at the commision's meeting -- why would they be there if it was not on the agenda? I don't think anyone involved thought the fight would come to a head so quickly other than the four republican commissioners.

Wake Co COmmissioner says the stadium proposal's not dead yet. Apparently it was just a "staw vote" and one of the commissioners could be persuaded to at least discuss the idea with the city council and Shaw/St Augs presidents. My thought is why the hell not? At least talk to them. You can still hold to your no vote and the city could decide to pick up the pieces or not.

My sense is Coble & Webb (I think the two most conservative) are worried that Gurley or Bryan will change their vote... or else why would they not at least have the discussion. It's good to see Webb not giving up so easily. Where is James West in all of this?

The meeting mentioned in that article was the Raleigh Wake Citizens Association, one of the larger African-American political groups in the area. Their website is a few years out of date, last updated in 2004.

Webb wants to give the appearance that the stadium didn't die because of his vote. I know Councilman West was in favor of the flea market location for the stadium because it would remove the flea market and could attract revenue and development to the area. But he has been quiet for a few months now it seems...

From the county commissioner's comments, if this was going to be for a new football stadium for Wakefield, Wake Forest/Rolesville, Millbrook, and other high schools to share somewhere in North Raleigh, similar to Durham's stadium, it would be a done deal. The fact that it would draw even fewer tourists/out of county money would be irrelevant. They are so used to denying southeast Raleigh everything, they don't even think about the growth opportunities it would provide.

• 4 weeks later...

Raleigh city council will hear results from the feasibility study tomorrow at their meeting:

1. Multi-Purpose Sports Complex Feasibility Study

Last summer, the Council, in conjunction with the County of Wake, Shaw University, and St. Augustine's College, funded a study by HVS Convention, Sports & Entertainment Facilities Consulting to evaluate the feasibility of a new multisport complex which would be designed to host the two institutions' home football games, other intercollegiate athletic events, and various other recreational activities. This study would include a comprehensive market and financial feasibility study to assess the potential for a proposed multisports complex in Raleigh. The consultants have concluded their study and will present their findings and recommendations to the Council. A copy of the study is in the agenda packet.

• 3 weeks later...

Expand an existing high school stadium??? The three closest options to Shaw and St. Augs are Enloe, Broughton, and Southeast Raleigh. None of those are within walking distance of either campus.

Broughton has a niceish stadium already, and fans could go to Cameron Village, but Broughton would not likely allow it.

Enloe has one two lane road to New Bern Ave, and the stadium is locked in on two sides by roads.

SE Raleigh is outside the beltine off Rock Quarry Road. It would be in the community, but far from the colleges. If they upgrade a high school field for this project, this will probably be the site.

A stadium could be wedged in near Chavis, either north of the community center or south of Ligon Middle School east of Haywood Street. Shaw already practices some at Chavis. But that probably won't happen due to parking concerns. Ugh.

I don't know where Councilman West is on this... he hasn't been to the South Central CAC's meetings in a while.

• 1 month later...

This is an absolute shame for Raleigh...I gets its not too much else that needs to be said for that.

Durham still needs to come up with a long-term solution for County Stadium. It would be nice to build a joint facility (Northern High and NCCU) but I can't think of a suitable location. The current site has been extremely desirable for developers especially considering its proximity to Durham Regional Hospital.

This is an absolute shame for Raleigh...I gets its not too much else that needs to be said for that.

Durham still needs to come up with a long-term solution for County Stadium. It would be nice to build a joint facility (Northern High and NCCU) but I can't think of a suitable location. The current site has been extremely desirable for developers especially considering its proximity to Durham Regional Hospital.

I didn't really see or notice anybody really fighting tooth and nail for this thing, and everytime I see black leaders from Raleigh there alway older people, and am not saying that in a negative way but we need some young black leaders to step up and take the helm of leadership and sometime you have to go on the OFFENSE meaning folks should have been picketing on Fayetteville St in front of the County Office to let the City of Raleigh know and the Wake County commissors know, HEY LOOK THIS IS NOT COOL!!!!!! WE PAY TAXES TOO! AND ALSO WOULD LIKE NICE PROJECTS BUILT IN OUR NECK OF THE WOODS TOO!!!!!!!

I agree with you that young black leadership should step up to the plate and voice the obvious concerns, but picketing is not the way to go. A more diplomatic approach would be best. Picketing would only cause further tension and create an atmostphere of disunity in the city that i'm sure no one in Raleigh is interested in having happen. Raleigh has come a long, long way in terms of positive race relations, compared to other cities throughout this country. That is one of the big reasons i'm sure why this area has gained so much respect in the media as of late. Let's not take a step backwards.

I believe this about the universities of Shaw and St Augustines....it is their leadership that should be raising concerns, getting media attention, throwing up neighborhood signs (like Dix 306 signs), etc.....without the universities raising their intensity, there is nothing or nobody for the community to get behind....

The leaders of these universities need to meet with the Raleigh city leadership, and lay out their case for having what they are asking for. There needs to be negotiating on both sides, and possibly some compromises will need to be reached.

Based on what I have seen so far, Raleigh has shot down their request (for whatever reason), and what do they do? They take the childish approach and head to Durham. Instead, they need to take their case directly to the people who shot them down. Bottomline, this is a business transaction and they need a business plan. They must be prepared to present a Plan A, and if that is not accepted, be prepared to present a Plan B.

That is how you get what you want in life.

The leaders of these universities need to meet with the Raleigh city leadership, and lay out their case for having what they are asking for. There needs to be negotiating on both sides, and possibly some compromises will need to be reached.

Based on what I have seen so far, Raleigh has shot down their request (for whatever reason), and what do they do? They take the childish approach and head to Durham. Instead, they need to take their case directly to the people who shot them down. Bottomline, this is a business transaction and they need a business plan. They must be prepared to present a Plan A, and if that is not accepted, be prepared to present a Plan B.

That is how you get what you want in life.

Very true....St Augs was fully prepared to build their own stadium but neighborhood oppositiion cuaght the city's ears and this what they were offered as an alternative. I personally think its BS that Peace College gets the ok to close a city street despite very strong neighborhood opposition but St Augs can't build a stadium on their existing land. I realize there are differences in the cases but there is still too much 'case by case' politicking for my tastes...

Very true....St Augs was fully prepared to build their own stadium but neighborhood oppositiion cuaght the city's ears and this what they were offered as an alternative. I personally think its BS that Peace College gets the ok to close a city street despite very strong neighborhood opposition but St Augs can't build a stadium on their existing land. I realize there are differences in the cases but there is still too much 'case by case' politicking for my tastes...

Archived