Shaw/St. Aug Football Stadium in Raleigh

citiboi27610

The leaders of these universities need to meet with the Raleigh city leadership, and lay out their case for having what they are asking for. There needs to be negotiating on both sides, and possibly some compromises will need to be reached.

That is how you get what you want in life.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you presented good Idea's,but can you say for certain that they didn't take those approaches? And why is it a childish approach for them to head for Durham? Like you said this is a Business transaction."BOTTOMLINE".What was childish was the city proposing the stadium without proper funding in the first place from the start. So they did what they had to do, and remember the stadium complex was the city of Raleigh's Idea, So the city should have had a plan A and if that is not accepted, the city should have had a plan B, and also once again their was never a request from Shaw and St.Aug to build a Stadium so their was nothing for the city to shoot down , so why do they need to make a Case? The truth is they wanted their own stadium's and certain leaders from the city and southeast Raleigh proposed the complex for both Colleges, so it's not like they went to the city begging for a handout this was Mayor Meeker along with other city leaders BIG idea.(DON'T START WHAT YOU CAN'T FINISH) would be my advice to all parties involved.

Paul Coble being elected to the County Commissioners last fall was one of the least talked about happenings in local politics, but may have the highest adverse impact on inclusive, progressive, smart policy in this county. Unlike Bryan, Gurley, Meeker and other moderates, Coble is far to the right and has already shown us his impact, most notably the funding block this spring to the school system. I'm sure he and Meeker aren't best pals either.

I'm not sure if this is the right time for funding the stadium, given the election year for the city council, the funding mess with the schools, and the recent rise in costs for the convention center. I feel bad for Shaw & St Aug, because they want a piece of the action, but I think the commissioners/councilors know that if they don't support it, it means very little in the way of a political loss, whereas the potential cost to them voting for it is high.

The St. Augs stadium denial started off as neighbors not wanting it, but it evolved into having something bigger they pooled resources between the two schools, the city and the county. Studies were done for costs and locations unitl Coble pushed for the "stop all discussion" vote.

The schools should have done a better job of presenting their case to the *county*, as they had already made their case to the city and the community.

I don't blame Shaw for playing in Durham, but will St. Augs be happy to keep playing on its campus? I think Shaw playing in Durham will feel like every game is a "road" game, especially for the students at the Raleigh campus. They have an upcoming program... They should have at *least* Durham County Stadium-level facilities, if not better.

Leadership has been more from Mayor Meeker than Councilman West, the representative for District C. He has run unopposed for two or three terms now, and it does not look like anyone else will run this fall. So things aren't going to change any time soon.

The schools and SE Raleigh have little political capital... until that (and the same faces in leadership positions) changes, things will stay the same.

The St. Augs stadium denial started off as neighbors not wanting it, but it evolved into having something bigger they pooled resources between the two schools, the city and the county. Studies were done for costs and locations unitl Coble pushed for the "stop all discussion" vote.

The schools should have done a better job of presenting their case to the *county*, as they had already made their case to the city and the community.

I don't blame Shaw for playing in Durham, but will St. Augs be happy to keep playing on its campus? I think Shaw playing in Durham will feel like every game is a "road" game, especially for the students at the Raleigh campus. They have an upcoming program... They should have at *least* Durham County Stadium-level facilities, if not better.

Leadership has been more from Mayor Meeker than Councilman West, the representative for District C. He has run unopposed for two or three terms now, and it does not look like anyone else will run this fall. So things aren't going to change any time soon.

The schools and SE Raleigh have little political capital... until that (and the same faces in leadership positions) changes, things will stay the same.

Archived