Backing into parking spots

SmellyCat

I'm just curious...what's the deal with so many people backing into parking spots in this area? Being a Yank (please don't hold that against me), this is something unique to me. I've lived in many parts of the U.S., but the frequency of it down here seems very high. I have to admit, I find it annoying because it tends to slow up traffic in parking lots, especially by those who need multiple attempts to get it right, and in addition a lot of people back in awfully crooked.

Is it a regional thing? Historical? Cultural? Bueller?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Backing into spaces lets you get into much tighter spaces with much narrower aisles than you can driving forwards, due to the way that a car steers. Small parking spaces aren't a problem around here so I can't see why many people back in (and I've never thought it's that prevalent anyway), but head to any large city in the US, and people will back in much more often. Then, go to Japan, where there's hardly a single parking space that isn't too small... everyone backs in, 100% of the time.

I'm just curious...what's the deal with so many people backing into parking spots in this area? Being a Yank (please don't hold that against me), this is something unique to me. I've lived in many parts of the U.S., but the frequency of it down here seems very high. I have to admit, I find it annoying because it tends to slow up traffic in parking lots, especially by those who need multiple attempts to get it right, and in addition a lot of people back in awfully crooked.

Backing into spaces lets you get into much tighter spaces with much narrower aisles than you can driving forwards, due to the way that a car steers. Small parking spaces aren't a problem around here so I can't see why many people back in (and I've never thought it's that prevalent anyway), but head to any large city in the US, and people will back in much more often. Then, go to Japan, where there's hardly a single parking space that isn't too small... everyone backs in, 100% of the time.

Which is more anoying ? Waiting for someone to back into a parking space or wait for someone to backout. All the same to me. Just depends on where you are at a time.

When that guy backs out of a space and hits me because he could not see me coming, I am going to wish he had backed in when he was in front of you 3 hours earlier. :D

I work above the Mingle Realtor School. Every single realtor that goes there for certification or training backs into their spot. There is no practical reason to do it, either. No one else in the whole building does, but EVERY realtor does. It's quite hilarious, actually, to look at the parking lot from above. I think it's a show-off thing...just like they always back cars in spaces at dealerships. The only cars I usually see do it are luxury cars.

I lived in California for 10 years and would say that from Fresno to SoCal, most people nose into parking spaces.

In fact I worked for a courier service for a while, and part of our "Smith System" training was to back into parking spaces. We only did it when the boss was around. :) Then reverted to our normal ways.

Because its faster and easier to pull out of a spot than to back out. when i'm finished somewhere whether it be work, school, or shopping, i'm ready to hit the road!! when i'm backing into a parking space, i'm usually not in much of a hurry. I just know i'm gonna be in more of a hurry to leave than to get there. Actually, the only time i pull into a spot is when i'm ilate for an event and don't want to take the extra 3 seconds to back in. Besides, if backing into a spot slows lot traffic, backing out does the same. I've never even knew it was something to take note of.

• 2 months later...

Personally, I prefer backing in and if you know your vehicle and are used to it, it doesn't take but a few seconds longer than pulling in. I drive a full size pick-up, and in many cases it is the only way for me to park in one fluid motion. If the aisle is tight, I have to do a couple turns to get in forward while backing in is always one try.

My significant other backs in all the time. I've asked, and been told it's easier to get out of the space that way than backing out of the space. And it makes sense, since I drive a Honda Civic and have to crane my neck like the rubber man from Fantastic 4 in order to see around the massive vehicles that have inevitably parked on both sides of me.

But I still can't bring myself to back into a space.

My pet parking peeve are the jerks that use two parking spaces because their car is just too too precious to have only one space and it needs the extra room to make sure no one gets too close to it. Grr.

Archived