Favorite Small Town.

Arkansas Student

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everyone will probably vote for Eureka but it's too easy.

I'd say Scott or Keo. Those towns are right by Little Rock and just have classic charm - plantations, antique stores, cypress swamps and magnolia trees the size of what passes for skyscrapers in Arkansas.

Another one I've always liked is Jasper, just because it's so picturesque.

(I actually think all 3 of these are under 1000 in population)

I wanted to give some thought to my choices first.

I like Hardee -- the downtown is just great.

Tyronza is nice, compaired to most eastern/delta towns. Of course I'm biased since I have some family there.

Calico Rock, although it is mostly dying, has a great old downtown area built on the bluffs above the White River. You can tell that at one time it was a major railroad stop in North Central Arkansas.

Ozark has a very nice downtown, too, and the river bridge is lovely. Plus they have a great BBQ place down there..... I don't remember the name, though.

Anyone ever been to Western Grove, outside of Harrison? There downtown is off Hwy 65. I've always wanted to see what it was like, but never went.

Leslie, further south on 65, is another one of thos dying towns like Calico Rock that echos its former greatness.

And, I'll throw a shout-out to my hometown of Mtn. View. It's got plenty wrong with it, but as small towns go in Arkansas I don't believe you can get much better. It's a unique place. :thumbsup:

I know you specified 6,000. As far as those go, I 'd say my top 3 would be 1. Mena 2. Clinton 3. Eureka Springs. However, with a little more population, my favorite small town in Arkansas is Arkadelphia. It is around 10,000 in population. It's a very unique place. It is a very liberal place. I've never seen a small town where all types of people get along so well. The downtown is nice. They have great parks along the Ouachita River. It's very close to Lake DeGray, and a bedroom community, of sorts for Hot Springs. It's a very scenic town, being at the foothills of the Ouachitas. My very favorite view in Arkansas is driving along HWY. 7, just north of Arkadelphia. I know people that drive it for the first time are quite shocked. You are just driving along, then all of a sudden, you come around a curve in between rock walls. As you are driving over the dyke on the side of the lake, you have a beautiful view of the lake on one side, wooded areas on the other, and mountains in the background.

I know you specified 6,000. As far as those go, I 'd say my top 3 would be 1. Mena 2. Clinton 3. Eureka Springs. However, with a little more population, my favorite small town in Arkansas is Arkadelphia. It is around 10,000 in population. It's a very unique place. It is a very liberal place. I've never seen a small town where all types of people get along so well. The downtown is nice. They have great parks along the Ouachita River. It's very close to Lake DeGray, and a bedroom community, of sorts for Hot Springs. It's a very scenic town, being at the foothills of the Ouachitas. My very favorite view in Arkansas is driving along HWY. 7, just north of Arkadelphia. I know people that drive it for the first time are quite shocked. You are just driving along, then all of a sudden, you come around a curve in between rock walls. As you are driving over the dyke on the side of the lake, you have a beautiful view of the lake on one side, wooded areas on the other, and mountains in the background.

I don't really consider Arkadelphia a "small town" but in that range of kind of smaller regional cities I really like it as well. I think the influence of the colleges is a big reason why. They also add a few thousand to the population during the year.

Along the same lines, I've always loved Russellville for the same reasons. It has a nice, well-maintained downtown without empty storefronts. The Ark Tech campus is nice and attractive. The mountains and scenery around Lake Dardanelle have always been impressive.

Archived