The Washington County Militia

I haven't been keeping up with this too much. Although I've seen all the Free Wayne signs all over. He was found guilty today but I actually started hearing a little more about the militia itself. Has anyone else heard much about this and what do you think about this militia? From what I've heard it formed in the early 90's. It's a private group that's supposed to be there to 'help' protect the area. I know militias were useful in the past but I don't think I like the idea of some private group not too far away sitting around with lots of firearms. The leader got in trouble for having illegal firearms. Some have said Wayne isn't a threat and is a good citizen. But I still wonder about some group that not only has lots of firearms but some illegal ones at that. Anyway just curious if anyone else had anything to say about them.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't been keeping up with this too much. Although I've seen all the Free Wayne signs all over. He was found guilty today but I actually started hearing a little more about the militia itself. Has anyone else heard much about this and what do you think about this militia? From what I've heard it formed in the early 90's. It's a private group that's supposed to be there to 'help' protect the area. I know militias were useful in the past but I don't think I like the idea of some private group not too far away sitting around with lots of firearms. The leader got in trouble for having illegal firearms. Some have said Wayne isn't a threat and is a good citizen. But I still wonder about some group that not only has lots of firearms but some illegal ones at that. Anyway just curious if anyone else had anything to say about them.

Some militias get a little gung-ho about weapons. I can agree with them in a way because if they're ever needed to defend this country (our neighborhoods) what good will semi-automatic hunting rifles be against assault rifles and machineguns?

Food for thought: Of the hundreds of firearm related crimes in the US (schools shootings, murders) how many are committed with assault weapons? Assault weapon bans only make criminals more dangerous and turn would-be heroes into sheep.

Some militias get a little gung-ho about weapons. I can agree with them in a way because if they're ever needed to defend this country (our neighborhoods) what good will semi-automatic hunting rifles be against assault rifles and machineguns?

Food for thought: Of the hundreds of firearm related crimes in the US (schools shootings, murders) how many are committed with assault weapons? Assault weapon bans only make criminals more dangerous and turn would-be heroes into sheep.

If the country were invaded and if the entire American military complex, who no doubt would put all of its force behind expelling said invaders, were defeated, then I hardly think a few amature militias with a few automatic weapons would be able to save us. So, what's the point in having said weapons?

And don't say "well, what if our own government turns on us?!?!?" That's just conspiracy bullcrap. The government might turn on us, but the men & women of the US Armed Forces would not. They are people just as we are; they have family and friends, and they are smart enough to see when our freedoms are being unjustly challenged. I have faith that they will defend me, and I have faith that they will never turn on me.

I believe that the 2nd Amendment means a right to bear arms to defend ourselves from invasion. In modern times, we have delegated the task of defense to a trained, standing army (something the country barely had when the 2nd amendment was written). Should our military fail in its duty, then we have every right to invoke the 2nd Amendment and take up arms to defend ourselves. Right now (and for a long time before) we have been in no immediate danger of invasion.

One might make the arguement here about defending one's home from intruders/burgalars, but that is not what this militia was training to do. That is an entirely separate issue.

This is not to say that I do not believe guns should be legal. On the contrary, I believe guns should be legal when they are used for tools (such as the provision of food) and sport (like shooting contests). But if the only reason you have a gun is for percieved protection, that worries me that you may be a little eager to use it. When the 2nd Amendment was written, it is doubtful the authors had any concept of the true, accurate killing power our modern guns would obtain. What is the use for such weapons, other than to kill others? So why should it be legal to possess an item whose only discernable purpose is to kill, when killing is (generally) impermissable under the laws of our society?

Militias are a remnant of colonial times before a standing army was developed. I fail to see their functional importance now. Militia members would better serve by joining the standing military.

If the country were invaded and if the entire American military complex, who no doubt would put all of its force behind expelling said invaders, were defeated, then I hardly think a few amature militias with a few automatic weapons would be able to save us. So, what's the point in having said weapons?

If for some odd reason we were invaded, if they've made it to Washington County I say we're already in big trouble and have a lot more to worry about than trying to 'save' our county. :lol: To me it seems more like some sort of gun club. Some people get into collecting guns. But I wonder what happens when those people get together and decide to form a militia. I'm just wondering about the intent there. Especially when they start getting illegal firearms.

Okay I finally decided to look them up on the net to find out a little more. Here's their website by the way.

http://www.arkansasmilitia.com/

Okay I think I also see their argument about why Wayne shouldn't have been arrested.

Sec 3. Privilege of members from arrest.

The volunteer and militia forces shall in all cases (except treason, felony and breach of the peace) be privileged from arrest during their attendance at muster and the election of officers, and in going to and returning from the same.

Looks like that didn't hold up too well in court. :rolleyes:

Okay seeing this makes we worry about having these guys not far outside of Fayetteville.

The Militia's Prayer

by Wayne Fincher

Almighty God, we acknowledge You as our Creator, our Savior, and our Benefactor, the Law-giver and Judge of all the earth. We call upon You this day as our Witness, that we desire to live peaceably with all men. However, those who have denied You, and have scorned and mocked You relentlessly, now wish to enslave us by their folly, and to cause the Divine Liberties that You have bestowed upon this nation to be reserved for Your enemies alone. We now ask for Your Divine pardon for our many transgressions, thus sparing us from Your Terrible Wrath. Should battle come, Lord, we ask You to join our ranks and lead us surely to Victory over those who have rejected You and have willingly chosen the pathway to ruin........ In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ we humbly pray........ Amen.

This almost seems to me be finely splitting the line between a militia and an armed cult.

Guess it also goes to show, Fayetteville may be a rather liberal city but that doesn't mean the rest of Washington County is that way.

Okay I think I also see their argument about why Wayne shouldn't have been arrested.

Sec 3. Privilege of members from arrest.

The volunteer and militia forces shall in all cases (except treason, felony and breach of the peace) be privileged from arrest during their attendance at muster and the election of officers, and in going to and returning from the same.

i have a friend who works for washington co. and according to her this militia has been giving them trouble with new zoning that thay are trying to enforce. i think the county is making efforts to regulate what private landowners can/can't do with their land (within reason). this makes sense when you consider property values and the environment, etc. however, this is governement restricting the rights of the good people of washington co., so the militia is there to fight the power. i'm sorry, but the idea of a militia is so backward that i can barely comprehend it. basically, these are backwoods people who have lived in isolation so long that they are afraid of the mordern world and the only way they know how to interact with it is to arm themselves against it. you know, at any moment, nw arkansas is under the threat of invasion...

Yeah there seems to be an idea that they are 'protecting' the common man. Even if it is against the government. I'm not sure where that provision on their website comes from. If that really was law back in the early days of our country or not. But it obviously isn't enforced now and it didn't work to get Wayne out of trouble with the law either.

You should watch one of my favorite movies from the 80's, Red Dawn. It's about a bunch of kids who defend their community from invading Russians/Cubans. WOLVERINES!!!

I agree that if our military and national guard were defeated that we would be in trouble, but standing armies are really only good for invading other countries, not defending our homes. As a citizen I'd rather be a fighter than a sheep (baaah) if this country was invaded.

Militias may not be needed, but I believe every community in the US should have an armory stocked with military weapons and that anyone in the community should be allowed to train with those weapons. This would keep these assault weapons and machine guns out of civilian hands except in time of need and people will be trained on how to use them. That would be the biggest deterrent to any country that thought about invading the US.

You should watch one of my favorite movies from the 80's, Red Dawn. It's about a bunch of kids who defend their community from invading Russians/Cubans. WOLVERINES!!!

I agree that if our military and national guard were defeated that we would be in trouble, but standing armies are really only good for invading other countries, not defending our homes. As a citizen I'd rather be a fighter than a sheep (baaah) if this country was invaded.

Militias may not be needed, but I believe every community in the US should have an armory stocked with military weapons and that anyone in the community should be allowed to train with those weapons. This would keep these assault weapons and machine guns out of civilian hands except in time of need and people will be trained on how to use them. That would be the biggest deterrent to any country that thought about invading the US.

I just reviewed their website again and I really don't see anything unusually cultist there. It's really just the typical militia stuff you'd find anywhere. If you're referring to the militia's prayer, even that isn't unusually cultist. It's really just a typical prayer you'd hear from just about any Christian. All I could gather from their website is that the Fayetteville Militia is a stongly Christian body that believes in the right to own and bear arms and the right to defend oneself from would-be assailants. The only issue against them is their decision to break a federal law banning certain assault weapons and machineguns.

I've haven't read enough posts to know where all the thread members are from, but ya'll should remember that NWA is a part of a small, poor, mostly rural Southern state in which a segment of the population is still fighting the Civil War. If you combine those facts with the fact that it's a Bible Belt state with a large number of believers expecting the End Times any day, it can make for a volatile situation.

Before any one flames me, I'll tell you I'm a native Arkansan and saved Baptist, although my religious views now don't reflect that. I'm in contact with people often who wholeheartily believe the federal government and any other group they don't like is the enemy and we all need to arm ourselves against them. It scares the hell out of me when I hear some of the discussions because I'm not sure what is redneck bluster and what people are actually willing to do. Anything that is seen to be an encroachment on their perceived rights could be very rudely met, and that's putting it gently.

This is why I so welcome the growth of NWA; the influx of people from other areas of the country combined with the influence of the University of Arkansas make it a more livable area. I'm also glad this is an anonymous chance to voice my views and I hope my choice to do so doesn't discourage anyone from choosing to come here. I'd like to emphasize that the majority of people here don't hold those extreme views, only a small segment. Hopefully as the area grows we will all be more tolerant of those who don't believe or have the same background as we do.

I've haven't read enough posts to know where all the thread members are from, but ya'll should remember that NWA is a part of a small, poor, mostly rural Southern state in which a segment of the population is still fighting the Civil War. If you combine those facts with the fact that it's a Bible Belt state with a large number of believers expecting the End Times any day, it can make for a volatile situation.

Before any one flames me, I'll tell you I'm a native Arkansan and saved Baptist, although my religious views now don't reflect that. I'm in contact with people often who wholeheartily believe the federal government and any other group they don't like is the enemy and we all need to arm ourselves against them. It scares the hell out of me when I hear some of the discussions because I'm not sure what is redneck bluster and what people are actually willing to do. Anything that is seen to be an encroachment on their perceived rights could be very rudely met, and that's putting it gently.

This is why I so welcome the growth of NWA; the influx of people from other areas of the country combined with the influence of the University of Arkansas make it a more livable area. I'm also glad this is an anonymous chance to voice my views and I hope my choice to do so doesn't discourage anyone from choosing to come here. I'd like to emphasize that the majority of people here don't hold those extreme views, only a small segment. Hopefully as the area grows we will all be more tolerant of those who don't believe or have the same background as we do.

I too am a saved Baptist, but my religious preference is non-denominational. It doesn't really matter what religion one follows so long as he/she has accepted Jesus as our saviour. There's room enough in Heaven for everyone and then some. There are times when I become overwhelmed with emotion knowing that He suffered and died on the cross so that I wouldn't be condemned to eternity in Hell for my sins. These Christians who refer to themselves as Militia share those same strong emotions, except they are willing to fight to protect the salvation that Jesus has blessed upon us sinners. I don't think they're guncrazed fanatics wanting to overthrow the governement, but they won't stand by and allow the government and private organizations to squander our blessings by replacing Christianity with secular or esoteric beliefs. It's bad enough that God is banned from schools, but now they're trying to steal Christmas! Something has to be done and the Militias are doing it, although they must not break the law. During the End Times it will be impossible for Christians to NOT break the law since our very thoughts will be a felony.

God Bless!

I'm still wary of mixing strong religious belief with armed weapons. I know I'm going to get it for making this comparison. But to me it doesn't seem like too much of a line to cross before it's possible that some of these armed Christian militias end up being more similar to some of the armed fundamentalists Muslims in the Middle East. How long before some of these people start trying to force some of their beliefs on others? I just think trying to mix any religion with weapons is a mistake.

I'm still wary of mixing strong religious belief with armed weapons. I know I'm going to get it for making this comparison. But to me it doesn't seem like too much of a line to cross before it's possible that some of these armed Christian militias end up being more similar to some of the armed fundamentalists Muslims in the Middle East. How long before some of these people start trying to force some of their beliefs on others? I just think trying to mix any religion with weapons is a mistake.

Archived