Highway and Road Construction Updates

GRDadof3

collegeos2.jpg

crosssectionkx8.jpg

Sorry the resolution isn't better on these.

These are the latest engineering study drawings I've seen for the overpass. It is my understanding that this is a preliminary study that they are working from. I think th 6 lanes are a given, but there is still some flex on sidewalk widths and the on-ramp access to the neighborhood.

The first overhead shot shows 6 lanes of traffic. It also shows that the current cut-through into the Belknap Neighborhood at Hastings as being eleminated. This is still being explored as a possibility. If the route into the neighborhood remains open, then there will be a redesign to improve the safety. From a neighborhood perspective, there would also need to be some gateway elements and cues that people are entering a residential community, not Michigan Ave.

The second drawing has the following dimensions working from left to center for the 6 lane bridge: 8ft sidewalk, 2 ft shy, 12ft lane, 12ft lane, 11ft lane. The current 5 lane configuration is 6ft sidewalk, 1ft shy, 11ft lane, 11ft lane and one 11ft center lane. Again, from a neighborhood perspective, I think we would advocate for a minimum of 10ft area for pedestrians. The city standard, as I understand it, is 14ft (3ft from buildings, 6ft sidewalk, 5ft parkway). This is obviously a little different from a downtown street scape, but there should be a buffer between the cars and pedestrians.

collegeos2.jpg

crosssectionkx8.jpg

Sorry the resolution isn't better on these.

These are the latest engineering study drawings I've seen for the overpass. It is my understanding that this is a preliminary study that they are working from. I think th 6 lanes are a given, but there is still some flex on sidewalk widths and the on-ramp access to the neighborhood.

The first overhead shot shows 6 lanes of traffic. It also shows that the current cut-through into the Belknap Neighborhood at Hastings as being eleminated. This is still being explored as a possibility. If the route into the neighborhood remains open, then there will be a redesign to improve the safety. From a neighborhood perspective, there would also need to be some gateway elements and cues that people are entering a residential community, not Michigan Ave.

The second drawing has the following dimensions working from left to center for the 6 lane bridge: 8ft sidewalk, 2 ft shy, 12ft lane, 12ft lane, 11ft lane. The current 5 lane configuration is 6ft sidewalk, 1ft shy, 11ft lane, 11ft lane and one 11ft center lane. Again, from a neighborhood perspective, I think we would advocate for a minimum of 10ft area for pedestrians. The city standard, as I understand it, is 14ft (3ft from buildings, 6ft sidewalk, 5ft parkway). This is obviously a little different from a downtown street scape, but there should be a buffer between the cars and pedestrians.

They show two left turn lanes to go West on I-196. This to me is such a bad idea. Obviously they are going to have to enlarge the merge lane getting on to the highway, but two lanes of traffic entering Westbound I-196? It makes me think of the 28th Street/Westbound I-96 onramp, where two lanes of traffic are trying to enter the freeway. What a cluster.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Work on Wealthy Street between S. Division and Jefferson begins Monday, turning two of those intersections into round-abouts. I imagine they'll have it completely closed off.

Yes, it will be closed for several months. This notification is only for Phase 1.

ROAD CLOSURE NOTIFICATION

Closing Name: WEALTHY STREET

Notification Date: 03/18/2008

Closure Type: Full Closure

Street Closed: WEALTHY STREET

Where: FROM DIVISION TO JEFFERSON

Starting Date: 03/24/2008 08:00AM

Ending Date: 06/01/2008 05:00PM

Originating dept: Traffic Safety - 456-3066

Description:

PHASE I - STREET RECONSTRUCTION.

EASTBOUND DETOUR: DIVISION TO FRANKLIN TO JEFFERSON.

WESTBOUND DETOUR: REVERSED

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/1352

Edited by highwayguy

This might be a huge number to suggest but perhaps somone could throw together a list of road projects scheduled for this year similar to the Dad's thread about large scale construction projects?

Here's a good site once they get it running for "the season" - http://www.gvmc.org/transportation/construction.shtml They publish it in the Advance as well.

That Jenison/Grandville exit is going to be such a mess. I'm not looking forward to it at all. Forwarning to anyone from other parts of town that may have to travel through that area, I strongly suggest taking the surface streets or M-6. You'll still be able to get off at M-11/Wilson but even that is going to be very congested and messy. Probably would be better off getting off at the first Chicago Drive exit in Wyoming.

Well for those of you guys that live in Wyoming, here is there proposed list of reconstruction work. Please note that they have not posted the new construction list yet. I am still hoping that Burlingame from 36th to Parrie gets repaved.

The link you provided is labeled "Proposed Construction" not "Reconstruction". You might want to call the number provided to get an answer to your question.

Well they do have the road construction page on their. The thing is that it is 2007's. That is just the proposed list of work. I believe it needs to be approved by the city or something. In anycase since the map is not out just yet I said it was proposed. My guess on Burlingame is they will just spot pave it. They did it last year in one spot. But I dont think that will do any good this year. Well I was happy to see that they at least have something about 2008 posted though.

• 1 month later...

I noticed today that Union from Fulton to Lyon (? I think) is all ripped up and looks ready to get new pavement. Its about time.

Speaking of Lyon, it's being rebuilt from Division to Lafayette. Has that started yet?

Also Oakes from Commerce to Division is all torn up right now.

• 2 months later...

Another much-needed upgrade. Lake Michigan Drive up to Covell:

2716854765_31c926300c_b.jpg

Thank goodness for that new center turn lane. I don't know how many times we've seen close calls from cars speeding around those curves and barely missing cars trying to make left turns along that stretch of road.

No Pictures but the Leonard project between Colindale & Oakleigh is finishing up, it's been going since the end of March.

Also does anyone have the scoop on the work being done at the 3 Mile & Fruitridge intersection? I'm pretty sure it's in preperation for the Fruitride bridge over 96 being redone next year but i'm not sure...

Also does anyone have the scoop on the work being done at the 3 Mile & Fruitridge intersection? I'm pretty sure it's in preperation for the Fruitride bridge over 96 being redone next year but i'm not sure...

Nothing to do with Fruitridge over I-96. Dual left turn for EB to NB. The project was suggested about 10 years ago with only needing some signing and signal timing / reconfiguration to make it work. The powers to be turned it into a construction project and waited for "federal funding" so those that use the intersection have had unnecesary delays for about 10 years :angry:. If I used the intersection it every day, I'd have been ringing the phone off the hook in some offices (I'd been a PITA. :rolleyes: )

Every so called traffic engineer needs to drive their jurisdicton regularly during RUSH hour, not during regular business hours (End of Rant :silly: )

Nothing to do with Fruitridge over I-96. Dual left turn for EB to NB. The project was suggested about 10 years ago with only needing some signing and signal timing / reconfiguration to make it work. The powers to be turned it into a construction project and waited for "federal funding" so those that use the intersection have had unnecesary delays for about 10 years :angry: . If I used the intersection it every day, I'd have been ringing the phone off the hook in some offices (I'd been a PITA. :rolleyes: )

Every so called traffic engineer needs to drive their jurisdicton regularly during RUSH hour, not during regular business hours (End of Rant :silly: )

They should try biking their jurisdiction every once in awhile as well. Might give them a little different perspective.

• 4 weeks later...

In other news regarding G.R. freeways....

"The state is installing a new $1.3 million tool to help ease traffic congestion on Grand Rapids highways...The sensors count every vehicle that goes by, along with their speed....The state Department of Transportation uses the same technology in Detroit to inform motorists about average travel times...U.S. 131 from 28th Street north to West River Drive, and on I-196, from M-45 east to the East Beltline."

Mlive Article

...Says we should start seeing travel times posted by the end of next summer, and it's about time. Seems like those electronic boards have been completely useless since they put them up.

Anyone hear anything about when we should start seeing these travel times posted?