GRDadof3

Highway and Road Construction Updates

14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

That's the "How many green lights will we have to sit through before I can turn left" game. Same thing happens at Knapp and Grand River in the morning and in the evening rush hour. The most I've sat through is probably 5.They're rebuilding that entire area of Knapp and doing nothing to address the light issue. 

Is any organization looking at all of this? The Grand Valley Metro Council used to do a lot around these issues but I haven't heard from them in a decade. 

I think the driver behavior issues too are directly related to a breakdown in our transportation system. People are getting desperate and resorting to reckless behavior. Or hogging the left lane because they know if they go in the right lane they will never EVER make it back to the left lane. 

Even where there's a left turn arrow, my favorite is the driver who sits in line through several cycles of the light then, when they are first in line, still seems surprised when the light changes and gives them the green arrow - as if it is some random occurrence and the green arrow just appeared randomly.  

Also, thank you for the clarification on the bus lane.  I don't drive that stretch of Division often enough so when I do I've been perplexed by the situation.

On 10/17/2018 at 1:09 PM, GRLaker said:

It has taken construction crews half a year to redo Cottonwood in Jenison adding a single turn lane and they're still not even close to being done. It is a mile and a half of road. Can you imagine how much time it would take to bring this whole city up to snuff with what the population calls for?

With that said...Everything in that list is absolutely needed. Our infrastructure is horrendously out of date when it comes to number of lanes compared to population. 

I don't know where to start responding to this thread . Roads and bridges have been my passion and career for 46 years. I will start by responding to this post. The Cottonwood project is far more than adding a single lane. It's a complete rebuild with adding township water main and a sanitary force main. Check out the OCRC website for the project info and photo's.

26 minutes ago, Raildude's dad said:

I don't know where to start responding to this thread . Roads and bridges have been my passion and career for 46 years. I will start by responding to this post. The Cottonwood project is far more than adding a single lane. It's a complete rebuild with adding township water main and a sanitary force main. Check out the OCRC website for the project info and photo's.

I also heard they were part of the strike that was going on.

Here's another total boondoggle: traffic headed Eastbound on I-196 trying to go North on 131 at rush hour. Traffic is so backed up, that cars have to make their own exit ramp in the breakdown lane (shoulder) along I-196, which causes all kinds of people to pass the exit ramp and try to get in later, causing near accidents.  It's particularly bad on Fridays during the summer, when you combine people heading north. 

On 10/16/2018 at 11:23 AM, wingbert said:

All true.  The problem is that the westbound on ramp still backs up and clogs the diverging diamond.  Also, locating 5 stoplights in the course of what, a quarter mile, was not the most intelligent of ideas.  Why didn’t East Paris get extended north before all that development was allowed to proceed?  Why was it deemed better to keep the light at Cascade West Parkway?  Why is the light at Kenmore on a timer and not a trigger?  It’s so frustrating to stop for a red light at Kenmore while you sit and wait for nobody - especially on a Sunday afternoon.  That area is such a mess and with continued addition of density in the Forest Hills area it is just going to get worse.  Horrific lack of foresight on display right there.

I finally  was able to check. Cascade West Parkway and Kenmoor both are demand actuated 24/7.  If you're stopped by the signal and there's no side street traffic, something is wrong. I've been told it can be a defective sensor (the little orange pucks in the pavement) or a stuck ped signal button. The signal will default to cycling so traffic can get out.  If you notice something like that either call the Road Commission (or the City if in GR) or submit it on-line.  I go thru Alpine and Ann a lot.  I noticed traffic was backing up  nb Alpine  every night more than usual.  Passed that info to the City.  Sure enough, the wb left turn orange puck was defective and the signal had defaulted to cycling instead of being on demand for Ann St. 

As for East Paris, when the Harley Hotel went under (closed the doors and sat vacant) and there was minimal development on Cascade, it was suggested by  several engineers  the property be bought by MDOT, the RC , or the township  for an interchange rebuild. Exit was easy, entrance would have meant a flyover of I-96 for a right side entrance ramp. No one stepped up to make the  purchase. Trivia - I worked for the painting contractor that painted (and hung wallpaper - lots of it - ugly as all get out) when the hotel was built  when I was going to college (68-71)

A similar  suggestion was made for Burton and Patterson.  Burton over Patterson with a single direction Patterson I-96  exit / entrance.  I just saw those concept drawings again a few weeks ago:).  MDOT said the feds won't allow a one direction interchange. But I'll bet you a lot of money they never asked :(.  Sometimes common sense prevails but one needs to ask - ask me how I know. 

I've always said when an area gets to a certain density, it goes into gridlock in spite of all the planning that goes on.  Unless our government becomes an autocracy,  the planners can't just appropriate land for the good of the people or arbitrarily decide land use.

Edited by Raildude's dad
added more info
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Raildude's dad said:

I finally  was able to check. Cascade West Parkway and Kenmoor both are demand actuated 24/7.  If you're stopped by the signal and there's no side street traffic, something is wrong. I've been told it can be a defective sensor (the little orange pucks in the pavement) or a stuck ped signal button. The signal will default to cycling so traffic can get out.  If you notice something like that either call the Road Commission (or the City if in GR) or submit it on-line.  I go thru Alpine and Ann a lot.  I noticed traffic was backing up  nb Alpine  every night more than usual.  Passed that info to the City.  Sure enough, the wb left turn orange puck was defective and the signal had defaulted to cycling instead of being on demand for Ann St. 

As for East Paris, when the Harley Hotel went under (closed the doors and sat vacant) and there was minimal development on Cascade, it was suggested by  several engineers  the property be bought by MDOT, the RC , or the township  for an interchange rebuild. Exit was easy, entrance would have meant a flyover of I-96 for a right side entrance ramp. No one stepped up to make the  purchase. Trivia - I worked for the painting contractor that painted (and hung wallpaper - lots of it - ugly as all get out) when the hotel was built  when I was going to college (68-71)

A similar  suggestion was made for Burton and Patterson.  Burton over Patterson with a single direction Patterson I-96  exit / entrance.  I just saw those concept drawings again a few weeks ago:).  MDOT said the feds won't allow a one direction interchange. But I'll bet you a lot of money they never asked :(.  Sometimes common sense prevails but one needs to ask - ask me how I know. 

I've always said when an area gets to a certain density, it goes into gridlock in spite of all the planning that goes on.  Unless our government becomes an autocracy,  the planners can't just appropriate land for the good of the people or arbitrarily decide land use.

Gridlock is understandable but when traffic systems aren't upgraded to meet demand it starts leading to danger to people's lives; that's quite another topic.  There's a discussion about this going on on Facebook too about creating a new regional authority to address all of these issues. Growth in Byron Center affects Wyoming. Growth in Hudsonville affects Grandville. Growth in Allendale affects Walker. And on and on. 

3 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

Good to know.  Thank you for the info.  I don’t know what’s up with Kenmore but now I know who to contact.

As for East Paris, I just with the drive into the Metro Health building were the opposite side of the intersection and the Parkway intersection had been closed.  It’s too late for that now.

I took a picture of this today. About a quarter mile from the "actual" offramp I-196 to Northbound 131. Create your own offramp.  No construction, just another typical rush hour boondoggle in Metro GR 

20181019_172234.thumb.jpg.c5e2170e5a81b4fa1ec67dee34c61af6.jpg

20181019_172240.thumb.jpg.f52e2d6ad1af22829fd7707b58dfcd8b.jpg