Highway and Road Construction Updates

GRDadof3

They do, but I think part of the problem may be that the contractors claim a faster schedule to help them win the bid (less time to build means lower overall labor/equipment costs- excluding paying overtime to complete that fast) in case of it being the lowest responsible bidder. It would greatly reduce their bid price. I wonder what this contract says about the late completion, ie the fines per day they impose. I imagine it is hard to quantify in dollars what the 'financial' damage is to this project not being complete.

Since I manage these types of projects in my job (not for MDOT), I think I'm qualified to comment on this topic. First, the completion date is set by the owner, in this case MDOT. If the completion date is unrealistically short, all the contractors will will figure the cost of the penalities in their bids. There also provisions in the contract for unseasonable weather for extensions of time without penalty. Since time is money, virtually all highway contractors work overtime in Michigan except for spring when work is just beginning.

There are good reasons this type of work is not scheduled for winter months in Michigan. Concrete must be protected from freezing while it cures. The curing is a tempurature related chemical reaction. The cooler it is, the slower it cures and reaches the required strength. Asphalt plants shut down for the winter around deer hunting. You shouldn't place it on frozen gound, it will be all broke up in the spring :( . It just takes longer to do everything. Think what would be like to do landscaping around your yard in the snow & rain, it will take you longer than in July & August. Assuming the work is complete, they can't take the barricades etc away when the roads are slippery.

This project was handicapped by a late start. it should have been started in March, not May. Demo should have been occurring while weight restrictions were in effect. It doesn't help when the project is late and the PR people say completion is expected next week, 2 weeks etc. weather permitting. People forget the "weather permitting".

I can only fault MDOT for starting the project too late. Otherwise, I think they've done a pretty good job considering the weather.

MDOT penalties are based on the contract amount

2-5 million $1550 per day

5-10 million $2650

10 million up $3000

Note: Even if the cranes are ready to transport, they can't get a permit to move on a day with adverse road conditions.

This project was handicapped by a late start. it should have been started in March, not May. Demo should have been occurring while weight restrictions were in effect. It doesn't help when the project is late and the PR people say completion is expected next week, 2 weeks etc. weather permitting. People forget the "weather permitting".

I can only fault MDOT for starting the project too late. Otherwise, I think they've done a pretty good job considering the weather.

This article from the Grand Rapids Press says that the work on I-196 downtown and I-96 over the Grand Rapids Eastern Railroad "got a late start because crews were waiting for steel to be delivered, and in one case, utility companies to complete prep work". Of course they also said that all work would be completed by the end of the year.....

Also, a heads up for anyone who drives: if you thought there was a lot of construction last summer, just wait until this summer! :shok:

Edited by highwayguy

Construction north of GR will start in April

You're right highwayguy. April through Mid-November

- Northbound 131 closed from Ann St. to North Park, complete rebuild, all traffic shifted to Southbound lanes

- Northbound 131 from West River Dr to 10 Mile, repaving, shifted traffic with two lanes open going North

- Northbound and Southbound 131 through Grand Rapids, down to one lane in each direction for repairs

- Northbound 131 closed from Ann St. to North Park, complete rebuild, all traffic shifted to Southbound lanes

- Northbound 131 from West River Dr to 10 Mile, repaving, shifted traffic with two lanes open going North

- Northbound and Southbound 131 through Grand Rapids, down to one lane in each direction for repairs

Was anything ever decided from the Baldwin st, jenison/I-196 interchange?

And when is i-196 from E-Beltine - College getting redone, that section has to be the worst!

The article mentions laying new concrete between West River and 10 Mile Road. I wonder if they will widen the road to 3 lanes. I know there had been talk of this and some of the bridges had already been widen to three lanes.

And when is i-196 from E-Beltine - College getting redone, that section has to be the worst!

I thought I read/saw somewhere that the I-196 cooridor was going to be done in stages (Bridgework/lane improvments etc). I thought I saw somewhere that is mentioned 2010-1012. On the MDOT webpage, it looks like there is a lot of bridge work to be done. They also want to upgrade/redo the interchange with I-196/I96/M-37.

This article from the Grand Rapids Press says that the work on I-196 downtown and I-96 over the Grand Rapids Eastern Railroad "got a late start because crews were waiting for steel to be delivered, and in one case, utility companies to complete prep work". Of course they also said that all work would be completed by the end of the year.....

Steel is very problematic. If it's not fabricated locally, there's almost always a problem. The Road Commission bid a project in April of 04 for delivery of the steel in mid-summer of 05 for a RR bridge. One would think with a 15 month lead time, it would have benn delivered on time. WRONG!!! 17 months - almost 2 months late:cry:

Head back up to post #3 in this thread Northender. ^^^ :thumbsup: I believe we'll see more bridge work in conjunction with that this summer.

Latest on I-196/Baldwin/Chicago Dr exit

I know construction starts this year on the new Baldwin interchange but I have yet to have any official time table of road closures, projected deadlines, and such. If anyone is M-DOT savvy, please help me out. They have webpage about this on the M-DOT site but the most recent information I've been able to find on the project dates back to the Environmental Study which was completed a year or so ago.

Edited by j3shafer

US-131 will have at least 2 lanes open in each direction through both construction zones, except during some non-peak times when it may be reduced to one. The work for repairs (mostly north of downtown) that will require lane closures will also be done mostly during non-peak times (nights and weekends).

I-196 will also have work on multiple bridges throughout the summer.

Was anything ever decided from the Baldwin st, jenison/I-196 interchange?

I wouldn't expect much to be done on the Jenison interchange project this year.

As DwntwnGeo said, the pavement replacement and widening is scheduled for 2010-2012. They have to widen all of the bridges first, otherwise it would have to go back to two lanes at every overpass.

There's an item in the city commission agenda this week pertaining to the city buying a sidewalk easement from a business along Ellsworth for reconstruction of Ellsworth this year. The interesting thing is that it mentions that Grandville will be rebuilt from Wealthy to Cherry, and Ellsworth will be rebuilt from Goodrich to Bartlett. No word as to when construction will begin, but presumably in April or May.

377469350_345e76d39c.jpg

The easement they are purchasing is right in front of this parcel in the middle. For some reason the street curves and the property line stays straight North South. If you walk in that area, the sidewalk pretty much blends right into the parking lot. I don't know the history of why it ended up that way. I wouldn't be surprised if someone here knows. It sounds like the city purchased the easement so they can restore sidewalk when they rebuild the street. The building in the lower left is the Peter Martin Wege Center for Dance that is undergoing renovation and expansion (thread)..

382111791_662d9b1961_o.jpg

The easement they are purchasing is right in front of this parcel in the middle. For some reason the street curves and the property line stays straight North South. If you walk in that area, the sidewalk pretty much blends right into the parking lot. I don't know the history of why it ended up that way. I wouldn't be surprised if someone here knows. It sounds like the city purchased the easement so they can restore sidewalk when they rebuild the street. The building in the lower left is the Peter Martin Wege Center for Dance that is undergoing renovation and expansion (thread)..

382111791_662d9b1961_o.jpg

Ellsworth was curved that way when 131 was built in the early 60's. It looks like MDOT didn't aquire the ROW back then. I'll have to check and see if they acquired a grading permit to build what they did :unsure:

Hmm, thats interesting. Glad to see them restoring the sidewalk though. Do a lot of people walk in that area?

No, not in this immediate area. The ITP Central Station (transit) is just North of here, but South of this area gets pretty industrial. Since I'm so generous, I went and took some photos for you dtown :) :

Here's the corner, looking NW from Ellsworth:

382891047_59fb939bd0_b.jpg

Here's looking North toward downtown (ITP on the right with a for lease sign in their upper office window)

382891044_1040e4dc44_b.jpg

Looking South over that corner (not my car parked there):

382891054_a3a780283c_b.jpg

You can't even really tell where the parking lot ends and the road begins, because there are no curbs.

Snapped this one as well while in that area:

383054429_7c43b68b26_b.jpg

It sure will be nice when they rebuild these streets. They are BAD!!

Hope that helps.

Thank you GRDad, that really does help. I knew what you were talking about, sort of, because ive seen lots like that before, but it really helps to see the area itself.

So, is the easment going to take up part of the parking lot? Which then they will put sidewalk, curb, and some grass, or something like that?

BTW, that last shot is sweet. :)

Thank you GRDad, that really does help. I knew what you were talking about, sort of, because ive seen lots like that before, but it really helps to see the area itself.

So, is the easment going to take up part of the parking lot? Which then they will put sidewalk, curb, and some grass, or something like that?

BTW, that last shot is sweet. :)

Thanks. My guess, based on similar street rebuilds downtown, that they will install new curb bumpouts, restore the sidewalk, put curbs on the inside of the parking lot, add trees and new parking meters. Here's the entire Grandville section scheduled to be rebuilt this year. Two sections are the old historic bricks streets paved over that I'm hoping get replaced with new brick, much like the city has done in other areas. Eric and Justin at Terra Firma (which owns several buildings along Grandville) may have been given plans of the rebuild that they could share?

384644359_71d5e82586_o.jpg

Cherry/Lake/Diamond Area

59499408_d66c6144af.jpg

Ionia Ave

72511244_0a3c288e16_b.jpg

72965460_86babf7864_o.jpg

This rendering of the 212 - 216 Grandville project (Hopson Flats) gives you a good feeling of what I hope the end product will look like:

319851721_f935697874.jpg