Highway and Road Construction Updates

GRDadof3

2 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

This is from the Environmental Assessment for the proposed improvements in the corridor. 

image.thumb.png.1cc71977430c31820753129e205114ed.png

Wow, it's basically a complete interchange! And you can skip the East Beltline? Hallelujah!! 

That to me also looks like a 6 lane highway (at least).  Thanks for the intel RDD. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

This is from the Environmental Assessment for the proposed improvements in the corridor.

Thanks, Raildude!  Looks like they are adding a south/eastbound on ramp from Fulton, too, which totally makes sense.  They still need to take out that turnaround in the crossover, though.  That cross over should only be used for westbound traffic from the new offramp or eastbound traffic trying to get on the onramp.

13 minutes ago, Lmichigan said:

Actually, the more I look at it, the more they look like they've reconfigured it and made it into a curve for access only from eastbound Fulton, which would be great. 

The problem though is that if you exit Westbound I-96 and want to go Westbound Fulton, you need to able to go through that crossover to get to the westbound side. It might necessitate a light to make that interchange safer but who knows. 

This would take a lot of traffic off of Cascade Road and actually take traffic off of Forest Hill Avenue. If you're near Forest Hills/Crahen and Fulton and want to get on the highway to go East, or vice versa, you're screwed. You have to go all the way down Forest Hill Avenue to Cascade Rd, and then up to the new diverging diamond interchange and get on the highway. 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

The problem though is that if you exit Westbound I-96 and want to go Westbound Fulton, you need to able to go through that crossover to get to the westbound side. It might necessitate a light to make that interchange safer but who knows.

Oh, I know.  I was going to say that the crossover would also be used as a turnaround for people getting off westbound I-96, but though the diagram was kind of obvious about this so didn't mention it.  It looks that at least from the left lane on the offramp, you'll be able to accress the crossover turnaround. 

I guess what I've been trying to get at is that that crossover needs to be one-way: accessible only by eastbound Fulton traffic and the traffic off the westbound I-96 offramp.

7 hours ago, Lmichigan said:

Oh, I know.  I was going to say that the crossover would also be used as a turnaround for people getting off westbound I-96, but though the diagram was kind of obvious about this so didn't mention it.  It looks that at least from the left lane on the offramp, you'll be able to accress the crossover turnaround. 

I guess what I've been trying to get at is that that crossover needs to be one-way: accessible only by eastbound Fulton traffic and the traffic off the westbound I-96 offramp.

I would totally concur with that. Sold! 

• 5 weeks later...

Fox 17 ran a segment on the Cottonwood project in Jenison yesterday. This is a project that began in February and they're now saying it likely won't be complete until next spring after originally stating it would be done two months ago. According to a business owner of a gas station/convenience store at Cottonwood and Bauer, he has lost half of his revenue due to this project and it's possible they might not survive a full winter of no through traffic on top of the entire spring-summer-fall with no through traffic. We're starting to see the negative effects of the MITA's reckless disregard for citizens and businesses that rely on the roads they were tasked to complete as quickly as possible. 

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

Fox 17 ran a segment on the Cottonwood project in Jenison yesterday. This is a project that began in February and they're now saying it likely won't be complete until next spring after originally stating it would be done two months ago. According to a business owner of a gas station/convenience store at Cottonwood and Bauer, he has lost half of his revenue due to this project and it's possible they might not survive a full winter of no through traffic on top of the entire spring-summer-fall with no through traffic. We're starting to see the negative effects of the MITA's reckless disregard for citizens and businesses that rely on the roads they were tasked to complete as quickly as possible. 

Nice.  So, no incentives for timely completion?

39 minutes ago, wingbert said:

Nice.  So, no incentives for timely completion?

You would think there would be a fine for every day/week/month they go over the proposed deadline. Apparently all asphalt companies close for the winter on Friday, so they have said that after they lay down the base layer, they're putting the project on hold until next spring. Having family drive through that area on a regular basis, I can attest to the fact that it has really inconvenienced the township. All traffic is routed from Fillmore down 20th through a neighborhood of $500,000+ homes, lined up down 20th at a stop sign at Bauer where they sit for sometimes up to 10 minutes as a seemingly endless stream of cars goes down Bauer. Then there is a line at 24th and Baldwin in the left turn lane that often stretches beyond the turn lane down the left lane, resulting in people waiting to turn left through multiple lights. Now we're starting to hear from businesses saying they might end up closing because it has gone on for so long. I'm just floored that the MITA was able to get away with their mandatory shut-down of all labor when we have such a short window to take advantage of for these projects. They should face some kind of heavy repercussions for projects going this far over due to their own actions.

Edited by GRLaker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GRLaker said:

You would think there would be a fine for every day/week/month they go over the proposed deadline. Apparently all asphalt companies close for the winter on Friday, so they have said that after they lay down the base layer, they're putting the project on hold until next spring. Having family drive through that area on a regular basis, I can attest to the fact that it has really inconvenienced the township. All traffic is routed from Fillmore down 20th through a neighborhood of $500,000+ homes, lined up down 20th at a stop sign at Bauer where they sit for sometimes up to 10 minutes as a seemingly endless stream of cars goes down Bauer. Then there is a line at 24th and Baldwin in the left turn lane that often stretches beyond the turn lane down the left lane, resulting in people waiting to turn left through multiple lights. Now we're starting to hear from businesses saying they might end up closing because it has gone on for so long. I'm just floored that the MITA was able to get away with their mandatory shut-down of all labor when we have such a short window to take advantage of for these projects. They should face some kind of heavy repercussions for projects going this far over due to their own actions.

If I were a business owner I'd sue. Complete BS. 

MITA did not shut anything down. They had been the negotiating voice for the contractors. The Operating Engineers union said they were going to negotiate with the individual companies not MITA. They threatened to walk out after the contractors refused to individually negotiate. The contractors all shut down and refused to let the operators strike or come to work, that's  called an employer lockout.

This is situation that no owner ie the Road Commission wants to be in. I've had a couple where we could only get the base asphalt down. In fact I  have a small one that is that way right now.  There might be some patching that will be done in the spring but it will be okay.

There's blame to be shared by both the Operating Engineers and the contractors to let it happen.

42 minutes ago, Raildude's dad said:

MITA did not shut anything down. They had been the negotiating voice for the contractors. The Operating Engineers union said they were going to negotiate with the individual companies not MITA. They threatened to walk out after the contractors refused to individually negotiate. The contractors all shut down and refused to let the operators strike or come to work, that's  called an employer lockout.

This is situation that no owner ie the Road Commission wants to be in. I've had a couple where we could only get the base asphalt down. In fact I  have a small one that is that way right now.  There might be some patching that will be done in the spring but it will be okay.

There's blame to be shared by both the Operating Engineers and the contractors to let it happen.

So do you think the base layer will be driveable for the winter then?

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Raildude's dad said:

"why it’s there a ramp from east 96 to West 196?" What you mean Willis? :unsure:

The 3/4th lane is for when wb 196 is rebuilt west bound traffic will be put on eb 196 with a concrete barrier between EB and WB traffic.  A good thing is there now if funding for the 3rd lane eb 1906 Fuller to EBL.

I had to read it 47 times, but I THINK what they meant to say is "why no connection from eastbound 96 to westbound 196". 

I'd love to see this as well as I could avoid the East Beltline, getting on 96 eastbound and (if it existed) merge onto 196 westbound. Raildude, is this in the long-term plan? If anyone would know, I think it would be you. :)

Joe

The reason I asked  what was meant because there is a crossover "ramp" if you will for wb 196 to eb 196 east of Maryland.  I've been told the eb 96 to wb 196 ramp is shown in the Environmental Assessment for the current project(s) and the grades have been laid out to make sure it can be physically constructed once the current work is complete. I got the grade info from the engineer that did it :good:. However the ramp is not in any of the current projects for the interchange. 

Michigan places too much emphasis on pavement condition and not enough on fixing capacity / congestion projects like this.  They also will pay the big dollars for milling and filling once a few cracks show up rather than extending the pavement life with some crack filling / sealing, seal coating and other pavement maintenance treatments. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The next phase of the Ionia/Michigan/I-196/Division ramp reconfiguration/addition is set to begin. Can anyone decipher this? Draw a graphic? :)

This project consists of the Reconstruction of Ionia Avenue from Michigan Street to 750 feet North of Michigan Street; Division Avenue from 1200 feet South of Fairbanks Street to 770 feet south of Fairbanks Street; and I-196 Westbound On-Ramp at Ionia Avenue and Division Avenue. This work will provide a new on-ramp to westbound I-196 at Division Avenue and will connect Ionia Avenue to Division Avenue from Michigan Street. The existing on-ramps to I-196 Eastbound and Westbound from Ionia Avenue will be improved. Connection to Ionia Avenue north of I-196 will be maintained from Newberry Street and Fairbanks Street. Work includes pavement removal, new storm sewer, traffic signals, street lighting, concrete curb and gutter, American with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant ramps, hot mixed asphalt pavement, street trees, pavement markings and final restoration.

• Confused 1