Highway and Road Construction Updates

GRDadof3

One other section of highway that really needs some attention is 131 from Wealthy to 28th Street. It's really designed poorly and pretty janky, with weird service drives. 

I know we've talked on here about the Wealthy Street overpass, now's the time to start working on a redesign. 

• Like 3

I heard that there will probably be a redesign of some of the on/off ramps downtown on 131.  They are less than a mile apart so they don't conform to standards.  One possibility is putting Wealthy at grade with 131 passing over it. similar to Pearl.  I think that would definitely help the east and west sides of 131 feel more connected by being able to access Wealthy via Ionia and Ellsworth.

For those interested in the M-231 expansion, this is what I found.

Here is a draft from 2002 showing M-231s possible routes.

http://www.michiganhighways.org/indepth/US-31Byp_FJ1Access.pdf

7D2ACA61-5C30-490F-9344-0AF0A7309ABA.thumb.jpeg.3d795dc9849f8a65052ea993157e7a16.jpeg

And another image of the full route.

8E3D536E-16A6-44EE-B9BF-3A2C5A93176E.jpeg.f0396be1bb1db9677515c8ffdce5fd31.jpeg

Here is an image presented a few days ago in Zeeland showing where the route could be constructed in that area.

A78D6752-BAE1-4108-9C93-3EA6003ADD27.thumb.jpeg.46c70a9195bc80200ff3f0703f2b763b.jpeg

MDOT says these are strictly concepts and that there is no plan to extend M-231 “at all” because there are no funds. Even if the plan was approved, construction would not begin for another 6-8 years after approval.

https://www.hollandsentinel.com/news/20200213/possible-m-231-expansion-considered

Edited by WMrapids
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, WMrapids said:

MDOT says these are strictly concepts and that there is no plan to extend M-231 “at all” because there are no funds. Even if the plan was approved, construction would not begin for another 6-8 years after approval.

Looking at the concept, there doesn't seem to be a ramp from Eastbound 196 to Northbound 231...  I would think some traffic would want to use it as a bypass of Holland and Grand Haven heading northbound on 31.

IMG_0032.jpg

12 hours ago, Onekama said:

Looking at the concept, there doesn't seem to be a ramp from Eastbound 196 to Northbound 231...  I would think some traffic would want to use it as a bypass of Holland and Grand Haven heading northbound on 31.

IMG_0032.jpg

I can’t imagine the state is building incomplete interchanges anymore. I’m pretty sure what you’re looking at there is just property zones.  It’s hard to tell the true scope.  Looks to be more than enough space for them to build a ramp over the WB lanes from EB to NB.  It wouldn’t make any sense for them not to, since more than half of the traffic they are trying to divert comes from traffic trying to head north.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 7:04 PM, MJLO said:

I can’t imagine the state is building incomplete interchanges anymore. I’m pretty sure what you’re looking at there is just property zones.  It’s hard to tell the true scope.  Looks to be more than enough space for them to build a ramp over the WB lanes from EB to NB.  It wouldn’t make any sense for them not to, since more than half of the traffic they are trying to divert comes from traffic trying to head north.

Even more likely and probably cheaper is the space inside the circular area in the south for a “ loop around similar to the i94/196 near Benton harbor 

Edited by GR8scott

• 2 months later...

I noticed yesterday they've started working again on the I-196/96/EBL interchange project. WOOT!! Can't wait for that project to be finished. 

Also, apparently Michigan and College is going to be (or already) completely closed through May for a complete rebuild of the intersection. 

https://www.fox17online.com/news/local-news/grand-rapids/major-intersection-in-grand-rapids-to-be-closed-in-may

6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Also, apparently Michigan and College is going to be (or already) completely closed through May for a complete rebuild of the intersection. 

It is closed. And they have some very lovely signs up at the Bagel Beanery reminding people that it is $170 and 2 Points on your license if you use their parking lot to avoid the closure. Didn't seem to stop the 15 cars I saw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

It is closed. And they have some very lovely signs up at the Bagel Beanery reminding people that it is $170 and 2 Points on your license if you use their parking lot to avoid the closure. Didn't seem to stop the 15 cars I saw.

Can't get a ticket when GRPD doesn't enforce traffic laws.  They did that one time when Leonard and Fuller were closed though...

• 5 months later...

I saw posted that I-196 is up for big repairs/expansions for 2021, including a complete rebuild of the Eastbound bridge over the Grand River (which would detour traffic up to I-96 and back East) and widening I-196 to 6 lanes in each direction from the 96/196/beltline junction to Fuller. 

Can't seem to find the article now though... 

Not sure what's going on with the 196/96/beltline project. I thought it was supposed to be done in August but they've been doing a lot of what I'd call "erosion control" work on the new Beltline-only exit ramp. 

20 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I saw posted that I-196 is up for big repairs/expansions for 2021, including a complete rebuild of the Eastbound bridge over the Grand River (which would detour traffic up to I-96 and back East) and widening I-196 to 6 lanes in each direction from the 96/196/beltline junction to Fuller. 

Can't seem to find the article now though... 

Not sure what's going on with the 196/96/beltline project. I thought it was supposed to be done in August but they've been doing a lot of what I'd call "erosion control" work on the new Beltline-only exit ramp. 

Thanks - I've been wondering about the I-196/96/Beltline project as I had not seen anything about this in a long, long time.   Also wondered about the widening project on I-196 too.  I thought ALL of this was suppose to be done this fall.  I understand Covid played some part in delays. 

Edited by mpchicago

According to the map, it looks like 196/96/beltline should be opening up for the season this next weekend, with the offramp opening Monday afternoon.  And all of the major highway projects being completed no later than Nov 13 for the season.

As GRDad said, it looks like they will be closing the eastbound 196 bridge over the highway next year :(.  They will also be working on the pavement between  Fuller and the Beltline. https://www.fox17online.com/news/local-news/kent/road-construction-2021-part-of-i-196-gets-a-rebuild-part-of-it-will-be-closed

Some day this section of highway will not have construction over the summer....maybe?

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 6:53 PM, GRDadof3 said:

widening I-196 to 6 lanes in each direction from the 96/196/beltline junction to Fuller. 

I'm guessing you meant 3 lanes in each direction for 6 total?

32 minutes ago, Floyd_Z said:

I'm guessing you meant 3 lanes in each direction for 6 total?

No, 6 lanes in each direction, ala Atlanta. :)

On 11/3/2020 at 1:59 PM, JoeSchmo said:

According to the map, it looks like 196/96/beltline should be opening up for the season this next weekend, with the offramp opening Monday afternoon.  And all of the major highway projects being completed no later than Nov 13 for the season.

As GRDad said, it looks like they will be closing the eastbound 196 bridge over the highway next year :(.  They will also be working on the pavement between  Fuller and the Beltline. https://www.fox17online.com/news/local-news/kent/road-construction-2021-part-of-i-196-gets-a-rebuild-part-of-it-will-be-closed

Some day this section of highway will not have construction over the summer....maybe?

Thanks for the info. That's great news! 

Christmas came early: The whole "Switch" project is finished, with the exit lane from I-96 South to the East Beltline open now. 

Also the I-196 Eastbound section near Lake Michigan Drive is finally reopened. I can't really tell what they changed. It just looks "new." Did they add a break-down lane and lengthen the onramp from LMD? 

On 11/9/2020 at 8:31 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Christmas came early: The whole "Switch" project is finished, with the exit lane from I-96 South to the East Beltline open now. 

Also the I-196 Eastbound section near Lake Michigan Drive is finally reopened. I can't really tell what they changed. It just looks "new." Did they add a break-down lane and lengthen the onramp from LMD? 

They completely rebuilt the bridge decks on the bridges over LMD and on-ramps to 196

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2020 at 6:54 PM, Floyd_Z said:

I heard that there will probably be a redesign of some of the on/off ramps downtown on 131.  They are less than a mile apart so they don't conform to standards.  One possibility is putting Wealthy at grade with 131 passing over it. similar to Pearl.  I think that would definitely help the east and west sides of 131 feel more connected by being able to access Wealthy via Ionia and Ellsworth.

MDOT has the local office of AECOM working on the study.  Daughter is working on it:)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

I was talking to my daughter over the holidays. It's flown under the radar but the 3rd lane on I196 from Maryland to Fuller will be added this coming summer and a 3rd lane on I-96 from 28th St to M-21 will be built also. Finally...

Wow. finally is right!

On 12/29/2020 at 6:00 PM, Raildude's dad said:

I was talking to my daughter over the holidays. It's flown under the radar but the 3rd lane on I196 from Maryland to Fuller will be added this coming summer and a 3rd lane on I-96 from 28th St to M-21 will be built also. Finally...

Is a 3rd lane being added in both directions for the I-196 and I-96 projects?   

Edited by mpchicago

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...