GRDadof3

Highway and Road Construction Updates

One other section of highway that really needs some attention is 131 from Wealthy to 28th Street. It's really designed poorly and pretty janky, with weird service drives. 

I know we've talked on here about the Wealthy Street overpass, now's the time to start working on a redesign. 

• Like 3

I heard that there will probably be a redesign of some of the on/off ramps downtown on 131.  They are less than a mile apart so they don't conform to standards.  One possibility is putting Wealthy at grade with 131 passing over it. similar to Pearl.  I think that would definitely help the east and west sides of 131 feel more connected by being able to access Wealthy via Ionia and Ellsworth.

• Like 2

For those interested in the M-231 expansion, this is what I found.

Here is a draft from 2002 showing M-231s possible routes.

http://www.michiganhighways.org/indepth/US-31Byp_FJ1Access.pdf

7D2ACA61-5C30-490F-9344-0AF0A7309ABA.thumb.jpeg.3d795dc9849f8a65052ea993157e7a16.jpeg

And another image of the full route.

8E3D536E-16A6-44EE-B9BF-3A2C5A93176E.jpeg.f0396be1bb1db9677515c8ffdce5fd31.jpeg

Here is an image presented a few days ago in Zeeland showing where the route could be constructed in that area.

A78D6752-BAE1-4108-9C93-3EA6003ADD27.thumb.jpeg.46c70a9195bc80200ff3f0703f2b763b.jpeg

MDOT says these are strictly concepts and that there is no plan to extend M-231 “at all” because there are no funds. Even if the plan was approved, construction would not begin for another 6-8 years after approval.

https://www.hollandsentinel.com/news/20200213/possible-m-231-expansion-considered

Edited by WMrapids
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, WMrapids said:

MDOT says these are strictly concepts and that there is no plan to extend M-231 “at all” because there are no funds. Even if the plan was approved, construction would not begin for another 6-8 years after approval.

Looking at the concept, there doesn't seem to be a ramp from Eastbound 196 to Northbound 231...  I would think some traffic would want to use it as a bypass of Holland and Grand Haven heading northbound on 31.

IMG_0032.jpg

12 hours ago, Onekama said:

Looking at the concept, there doesn't seem to be a ramp from Eastbound 196 to Northbound 231...  I would think some traffic would want to use it as a bypass of Holland and Grand Haven heading northbound on 31.

IMG_0032.jpg

I can’t imagine the state is building incomplete interchanges anymore. I’m pretty sure what you’re looking at there is just property zones.  It’s hard to tell the true scope.  Looks to be more than enough space for them to build a ramp over the WB lanes from EB to NB.  It wouldn’t make any sense for them not to, since more than half of the traffic they are trying to divert comes from traffic trying to head north.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 7:04 PM, MJLO said:

I can’t imagine the state is building incomplete interchanges anymore. I’m pretty sure what you’re looking at there is just property zones.  It’s hard to tell the true scope.  Looks to be more than enough space for them to build a ramp over the WB lanes from EB to NB.  It wouldn’t make any sense for them not to, since more than half of the traffic they are trying to divert comes from traffic trying to head north.

Even more likely and probably cheaper is the space inside the circular area in the south for a “ loop around similar to the i94/196 near Benton harbor 

Edited by GR8scott

I noticed yesterday they've started working again on the I-196/96/EBL interchange project. WOOT!! Can't wait for that project to be finished. 

Also, apparently Michigan and College is going to be (or already) completely closed through May for a complete rebuild of the intersection. 

https://www.fox17online.com/news/local-news/grand-rapids/major-intersection-in-grand-rapids-to-be-closed-in-may

6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Also, apparently Michigan and College is going to be (or already) completely closed through May for a complete rebuild of the intersection. 

It is closed. And they have some very lovely signs up at the Bagel Beanery reminding people that it is $170 and 2 Points on your license if you use their parking lot to avoid the closure. Didn't seem to stop the 15 cars I saw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

It is closed. And they have some very lovely signs up at the Bagel Beanery reminding people that it is $170 and 2 Points on your license if you use their parking lot to avoid the closure. Didn't seem to stop the 15 cars I saw.

Can't get a ticket when GRPD doesn't enforce traffic laws.  They did that one time when Leonard and Fuller were closed though...

• Like 1