Grocey Store for Downtown - when?

tnse

Has anyone else heard anything new about a possible grocery store for downtown? Don't you guys think this might be one of the things holding back downtown residential growth? It doesn't have to be a monstrocity like a Kroger or SuperWalmart. I think it would be nice to have a Fresh Market location. Maybe it would work in a space in South Main where a lot of the condos are going. Or how about in the space in Peabody Place left from Tower Records? Fresh market is small and has good quality stuff. Seems like it would fit in with the downtown landscape better than those mega chains. A grocery store in Downtown Memphis does not have to be open 24hrs either and Fresh Market fits that description. If people agree, maybe we should petition Fresh Market to open a location downtown. Maybe no one has ever approached them. As the only grocery store in the area and a first mover, i think they would do great. I think it would even draw from midtown. Thoughts? Discussion?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fresh Market would be a good fit for downtown. Even a scaled back schnucks would work well (and really help them solidify their place in the Memphis market). The cool thing about downtown is that places like Walgreens already exist in the core and residents of most major cities I've ever been to shop stores like that for everyday items because the prices are not inflated.

I think American's need to take a second look at the "bigger is better" attitude. On a recent trip to Quebec City I went to a mall that was anchored by two (small) department stores that had a great selection and a grocery store. Everything you need in one stop. We should break this idea apart and implement it in our downtowns. JMO.

The long-term plan is to realign Jackson Ave. with Mill Street (parallel street north of Auction) and connect North Parkway with the present Auction Ave. The general plan can be found at the Mem/SC Div. of Planning & Development site: http://www.dpdgov.net/(og5kuk55urelwv55yho...ent.aspx?id=341

This issue has been previously discussed in the board http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...p;referid=10526

There has been talk of a grocery store and other retail space north of St. Jude and between the realigned roads. It's not a large plot of land, but sufficient to house a scaled-down grocery.

Though it wouldn't help me much living on Mud Island, I think the best location for a new grocery would be in the downtown core in maybe the basement, ground, and 2nd levels of an existing building as there are few available large footprints to build on in the core. Granted, the costs would be higher as stocking multiple levels and connecting the new store to the supply chain would be harder (no 53' semis downtown), rent would be higher, parking would be harder to come by (of course walking or taking the trolley to the store is the whole point, but this is Memphis), but putting a new grocery in the downtown core near most of the new residents is the best option. Hmmm, why not have it on the bottom two floors of the Vue replacement on Main?

This article (http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/StoryLead.aspx?id=94242) in the Daily News mentions Kroger, Walgreens and Starbucks as possible tenants in the commercial development.

Maybe this is a case of underpromising and overdelivering, but Kroger, Walgreens and Starbucks? If that shows the kind of vision and imagination driving the project, it could end up being the $30 million dollar football stadium of retail.

I saw one (urban Kroger) in the Buckhead area of Atlanta a couple of years ago. It was built into the streetscape along Peachtree St. (one of the many) and I assume parking was in the rear...it looked really cool the way it blended in with existing buildings!

I have never seen an urban Kroger. One must exist somewhere though... I just figured that Kroger would be too bothered by such a small store and someone like Fresh Market or Schnucks would be more nimble and able to pull it off.

ok - yeah I have seen a kroger Signature in Oak Lawn but looked more suburban than urban. I have been to the Publix in Buckhead which was part of the bigger development also housing a two-level Target (I think). It was cool. I agree with someone who said Memphis needs a hometown store - I would suspect a company like that could open a store in a downtown setting much easier than Kroger (much less red tape). Maybe Super-Lo will do just that - the remodeled East Memphis store is nice and has a very loyal customer base.

• 2 months later...

I was reading the MBJ online the other day and there was an article on Aldi Food stores. They have an aggressive expansion plan for the Memphis area and really want to put a store downtown. I think an Aldi would be a great fit for downtown depending on the location. I think it would go over well somewhere close to the Pinch district close to St. Jude because of the Harbor Town & Uptown neighborhoods.

I was reading the MBJ online the other day and there was an article on Aldi Food stores. They have an aggressive expansion plan for the Memphis area and really want to put a store downtown. I think an Aldi would be a great fit for downtown depending on the location. I think it would go over well somewhere close to the Pinch district close to St. Jude because of the Harbor Town & Uptown neighborhoods.

Aldi is anything but a high line store, but here in Nashville, all their stores are clean and well-stocked. They carry a limited number of items compared to a major store and the brand names will not familiar, but the my personal experience has found the quality to be in line with the majors. I suspect it's more a packaging difference for the same, or almost same products. You will find some things you might not like, but for the most part, it's one of the best grocery deals in town. They even carry fresh meat, produce and dairy. The produce I find at Aldi (the staples mainly) are always in better shape than what I find at Kroger and the prices are insanely less. Aldi is a learned experience, but once you master it, it's quite a treat and one heck of a bargain.

For the actual experience, you'll be on your own. It might both amuse you and amaze you at the same time. I don't shop it often, but if a location was closer to my home, I'm sure I would.

On little example: One year, I bought a sliced honeybaked ham for Thanksgiving at Honeybaked Hams. Outrageous, over $55. The same weight, the size slicing and the same taste was gotten at Aldi the next year for $14. The examples are endless, but if you get a chance to learn the system, you'll be happy you did. Just don't expect to be pampered. Ain't gonna happen.

My two cents.

There are about 5 Aldi's in Memphis right now and their all suburban locations. Its not a high end grocer but I've always thought it would be a good fit for the South Forum, Peabody Place, or Northend area. I hope they don't build one of their typical stores though. Those come with small surface lots. I wouldn't really expect them to build a parking garage either so I think a visible spot in Peabody Place would be a great!

At one time, a couple of years ago, there was talk of an Aldi on the SW corner of Poplar/Cleveland, where the old Children's Dentistry building is. Would be a good complement for the current retail in the area and the proposed future Target.

Archived