Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tennesseestorm

Southeastern USA "swamps" - photo requests

21 posts in this topic

Does anyone have, or tell me a good site where I can find photos of swamp land across the southeast? We have some swamps here, but nothing like the ones on the southeast coastal plains.

Thanks in advance!

Here are some shots of the Congaree National Forest, the largest remaining intact tract of old-growth floodplain forest in North America, just outside of Columbia, SC.

Some pictures of a wetlands park that is part of the Edisto Memorial Gardens complex in Orangeburg, SC can be found here.

Wow - thanks! We are actually planning on going to Congaree NF later this year, unless we go through Atlanta, instead of Columbia when we go to Florida. We may not even go to Florida and just to go Congaree, then to Charleston.

That 2nd link was also grand. Thanks again!

Here are some shots of the Congaree National Forest, the largest remaining intact tract of old-growth floodplain forest in North America, just outside of Columbia, SC.

Some pictures of a wetlands park that is part of the Edisto Memorial Gardens complex in Orangeburg, SC can be found here.

Virginia (and N.C. as it crosses the broder) has one with a great name:

The Great Dismal Swamp

Don't have any pictures of it though :)

Here are a few pics from a swampy lake, (if that qualifies) in Augusta Georgia.

And thought this shady spot was really pretty.

post-1681-1169004702_thumb.jpg

post-1681-1169004874_thumb.jpg

post-1681-1169004702_thumb.jpg

post-1681-1169004874_thumb.jpg

Yes. Thanks! I love it! I am actually looking for photos like that. Thanks again

Here are a few pics from a swampy lake, (if that qualifies) in Augusta Georgia.

And thought this shady spot was really pretty.

Virginia (and N.C. as it crosses the broder) has one with a great name:

The Great Dismal Swamp

Don't have any pictures of it though :)

Shingle Creek, Orlando

27405607.jpg

Boggy Creek, Lake Nona, Orlando

27405606.jpg

Celebration surronded by Reedy Creek

27405604.jpg

27405498.jpg

Disney

27405497.jpg

Lake Concord

27405478.jpg

27405474.jpg

or

Do you mean this "Swamp"?

FloridaBenHillGriffin_stadium_north_air1.jpg

Thanks for those photos! Great!

I am surprised though.... those in Orlando- I never knew there were so many deciduous trees (without leaves) in that part of Florida... I thought most were evergreens down there. :unsure: I do see alot of evergreens though now that I go back and look. I just thought that there were not as many down there. As you can see... I have never been to FL. <_<

Also- in the ones that say "headwaters of the Everglades" - is that closer to the actual Everglades in south FL, or are they further up?

Thanks again!

This is the swamp behind my house...and disregard the date, they were taken last week.

Picture037.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture005.jpg

A swamp in your backyard? Thats awesome! I wish I had a swamp.... seriously. My uncle in Raleigh, NC had a swamp (about a half of an acre worth) in his back yard when he first bought his property, but he had some heavy duty grading and fill-ins done to get shed of it. <_< I would have kept it personally. It had baldcypress, pond pines, etc. I have a baldcypress, but its not in a swamp, but it is in a damp area of the lawn.

Looks like I see some pine trees in your swamp.... is that a pond pine or slash pine?

Thanks again for posting the super photos! Those are the type I am looking for! Keep them coming!

This is the swamp behind my house...and disregard the date, they were taken last week.

Thanks! Glad you liked them. Ill have to get some more of it when it snows on Monday.

I think it's a pond pine, well, that's what my neighbor thinks they are. Ill have to do some research on that one :thumbsup:

Yes, thanks.

I have found out that a pond pine will also grow on dry land.

Here are a couple of links to the pond pine: (photos of the rest of the tree appreciated) Are there any palm type trees around that swamp?

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/sy...heet.cfm?ID=362

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pond_Pine

Thanks! Glad you liked them. Ill have to get some more of it when it snows on Monday.

I think it's a pond pine, well, that's what my neighbor thinks they are. Ill have to do some research on that one :thumbsup:

Thanks. Wow, that sounds neat.... like something you would see in a movie! :thumbsup:

Will look forward to them. We do not have any swamps close to here. Closest one I know of is about 25 miles away, except a small one about 8 miles away.

No problem. I'll have to get out there tomorrow when it's sunny, otherwise the canopy of trees makes this thick fog that's been around all day cover the swamp.

Thanks! I love it! I would like to see photos of the same swamp this summer. Do know it if has any water moccasins in it? :unsure:

I've seen a couple here and there, and for the most part, I like to stay on the trail, which you can partially see in the upper left hand corner here...

DSC08439.jpg

Oh yes... I see it. How neat.

I drove by that swamp today in Kingsport that I mentioned, as I had to go to my cars dealership for a part.... sadly, I did not have my camera. Its just a small swamp though.

I've seen a couple here and there, and for the most part, I like to stay on the trail, which you can partially see in the upper left hand corner here...