CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Easley Town Center

g-man430

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I think rejecting this might be the first smart thing that Easley has done. The tacky sprawl on 123 hasnt gotten any better, and this project was not much more than a glorified strip mall (which Easley already has 34567890 of). Easley may indeed need a target type store on that side of town, but I contend that it could be built in a better way than the Town Center.

^^^Well, 400 people think otherwise and i'm one of them. You just don't get it do you Spartan? Drive by that intersection where 123 is in front of Rocky Springs Baptist Church and look at all the crosses on the side of the road. I have to drive by here every morning and afternoon on my way to and from Tri-County Tech. and it sickens me that the county still hasn't done anything with this intersection. It needs to be fixed. Whether this involves the development or not, they should pass the incentives just to lower the death rate that has occured in this area. Also, I live in the Easley area, so I know how these people feel not having any stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, Kohl's, Ross, Old Navy, Shoe Carnival, TJ Maxx, etc. Why would I want to drive 25 minutes all the way over to god for saken Woodruff Road to pick up an ink cartridge from Best Buy or Circuit City when I can just drive five minutes down the road and pick one up potentially at Easley Town Center. I would rather have a village like setup too like the Shops at Gridlock, but I would also rather have something like Cherrydale than nothing at all. Also, you don't even live in this area like I do Spartan, so I don't know what it matters to you anyways. Rant over.

Gman, you should really get down off of your horse. I drive by that intersection quite often, as I work in Greenville. I experience the congestion and frustration of Easley Bridge Road almost every day. I see the wrecks at that intersection almost daily. You will note that I didn't say they shouldn't fix that intersection or these stores shouldn't be in Easley, just that they should look for a better location. I don't see how building yet another strip mall on 123 will improve the situation or be beneficial to Easley when the same stores could literally go anywhere else (153 maybe?). I see Easley as the best example of bad sprawl and the effects thereof in this state, and more importantly I see a community that doesn't want to change the status quo (at least on appearance). Easley has pretty good leadership though (Mayor Chris can be downright inspiring), so that could change, and this may be a sign of that happening. I hope it does, for Easley's sake.

Also, if I lived in the Easley/Powdersville area, I would go to Anderson for my shopping needs unless I needed a specific store in Greenville. Why go and put up with Woodruff Rd unless you have to?

Gman, you should really get down off of your horse. I drive by that intersection quite often, as I work in Greenville. I experience the congestion and frustration of Easley Bridge Road almost every day. I see the wrecks at that intersection almost daily. You will note that I didn't say they shouldn't fix that intersection or these stores shouldn't be in Easley, just that they should look for a better location. I don't see how building yet another strip mall on 123 will improve the situation or be beneficial to Easley when the same stores could literally go anywhere else (153 maybe?). I see Easley as the best example of bad sprawl and the effects thereof in this state, and more importantly I see a community that doesn't want to change the status quo (at least on appearance). Easley has pretty good leadership though (Mayor Chris can be downright inspiring), so that could change, and this may be a sign of that happening. I hope it does, for Easley's sake.

Also, if I lived in the Easley/Powdersville area, I would go to Anderson for my shopping needs unless I needed a specific store in Greenville. Why go and put up with Woodruff Rd unless you have to?

If you were to drive all the way down to Anderson, you'd learn after the first trip or two that it is a much further distance to drive than Greenville, and has the same traffic (on Clemson Bourlevard), but with less shopping and dining options overall. From Powdersville or Easley, you can get to either Cherrydale, Woodruff Road, Pleasantburg Drive, or Haywood Road (if you want those suburban centers) in less than the time it takes to get to Anderon's main shopping boulevard. I have yet to meet someone who lives in the Powdersville area who doesn't work in Anderson but shops there regularly. It makes no sense at all.

I think rejecting this might be the first smart thing that Easley has done. The tacky sprawl on 123 hasnt gotten any better, and this project was not much more than a glorified strip mall (which Easley already has 34567890 of). Easley may indeed need a target type store on that side of town, but I contend that it could be built in a better way than the Town Center.

I'm not going to disagree that random sprawl is a bad thing, but you are attacking Easley in a way I have not heard you go after Boiling Springs, which IMO is just as bad, if not worse. Much of the development U.S.123 has experienced can probably be attributed to the fact that it is a major bypass connecting Clemson to the Greenville metropolis. Easley does have a central downtown that can become its actual urban core once again, but it will take a very strong effort to reinvent that idea in the community - even shooting down a development such as this suburban "town center" project, as you mentioned.

^^^I guess Spartan wants to see the Saco Lowell site remain a dead stick. :wacko:

Wow. Thinking Clemson Blvd. is closer to Powdersville than Woodruff Rd. is just sad.

^^^I guess Spartan wants to see the Saco Lowell site remain a dead stick. :wacko:

Wow. Thinking Clemson Blvd. is closer to Powdersville than Woodruff Rd. is just sad.

Saco Lowell can still be turned into a shoping center, I just think that it could be done much better than this particular "town center" proposal. Easley deserves better than that. I don't like the idea of something being called a "town center" when it is just a strip mall. If they actually make it into the real thing, I will gladly change my opinion on it.

Gman, try reading what I said. I didn't say Anderson was closer. It would be essentially the same time spent on the road. That is just my preference. I simply can't stand driving on Woodruff Rd, and I can't stand shopping in general (doens't matter where). So, I will go "out of my way" in terms of distance to go to a less frustrating shopping area if the net time spent driving works out to my advantage. If Woodruff Rd is acutally faster, then I would go there. Fortunately I don't live in Easley or Powdersville so I don't have to make that decision!

^^^If you want this to become like the Shops at Gridlock with deadlock traffic then contact the developer and tell them to change the plans around just for you. Thinking Clemson Blvd. has less traffic than Woodruff Rd. is just sad too.

Two things:

1. Most people in Easley do their shopping in Greenville, not Anderson. Woodruff Road is a faster trip than Clemson Boulevard, and has much more to offer in terms of selection.

2. Woodruff Road traffic is MUCH more congested than Clemson Boulevard. It's not even close. Woodruff Road has the highest traffic counts in the state, yes?

(of note is the fact that Haywood used to be the busiest road in the state...I would be interested to know when it lost that title, and to which road).

^^^If you want this to become like the Shops at Gridlock with deadlock traffic then contact the developer and tell them to change the plans around just for you. Thinking Clemson Blvd. has less traffic than Woodruff Rd. is just sad too.

What have you been smokin, gman? Clemson Blvd can't even begin to compare to Woodruff Rd. I've seen the traffic counts from DOT. I'll try and remember to look up the numbers next time I get a chance. And knowing your track record, I'd be willing to bet that you have said that Woodruff Road is the busiest in the state within the past week or two.

What have you been smokin, gman? Clemson Blvd can't even begin to compare to Woodruff Rd. I've seen the traffic counts from DOT. I'll try and remember to look up the numbers next time I get a chance. And knowing your track record, I'd be willing to bet that you have said that Woodruff Road is the busiest in the state within the past week or two.

I haven't been on Woodruff Rd. in the past week or two. Drive down Clemson Blvd. in front of Circuit City and Best Buy on any weekday during lunch and do the same on Woodruff Rd. on a different day and you can easily compare the traffic nightmares on both roads. You show me the DOT facts that shows Woodruff Rd. is the busiest in the state then i'll believe you.

What I do know is that if you want to do any real shopping in Anderson, you have to drive along Clemson Boulevard, likely a fair distance. Try this on a weekend when you're hungry. I'll take the Woodruff Road options versus traffic over that stretch every time.

It pretty much states the facts. I didn't know they were going for 'multicounty' status though.

The article also mentions the sale of the former Tri-County landfill. Is that what you're thinking of?

Regarding the new center, I do not care what it is called; it just needs to be built.

Archived