CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Easley Town Center

g-man430

There is no way Red Lobster would relocate from its current location in Greenville to Easley. I could, however, see Red Lobster keeping their Greenville location and also opening a location in Easley. Think about it, if you are a major restaurant chain and you are only going to have one location in the region, do you choose Greenville or Easley? That's a no-brainer, especially given the Greenville Red Lobster's success.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, ok. I think a lot of the reason it's non walkable is due to the fact at least 75% of the development is made up of big-box stores and the stores you see at town center developments like the Shops at Greenridge wouldn't come to Easley Town Center due to population demographics. This is only a guess though.

Shops at Greenridge isn't walkable either.... not a good comparison. Without real density around them, they can't be made walkable. In the absence of that, you need complimentary uses on the site.

Shops at Greenridge isn't walkable either.... not a good comparison. Without real density around them, they can't be made walkable. In the absence of that, you need complimentary uses on the site.

Would Magnolia Park be a better comparison? ;) Also, I was referring to stores at the Shops at Greenridge like White House/Black Market, Swoozies, etc.

I find the village area to be quite walkable. Grab some Cold Stone and eat as you walk over to Barnes & Noble. The trees are starting to become a nice size (will be great in 5 years). Plenty of benches and pedestrian friendly area.

The big box area isn't walkable I agree, but then I don't know that it should be.....I wouldn't really want to walk with a 42" Plasma from Best Buy, a canoe from Dick's, or a case of wine from Total Wines. ;)

Would Magnolia Park be a better comparison? ;) Also, I was referring to stores at the Shops at Greenridge like White House/Black Market, Swoozies, etc.

Magnolia Park might be, but it's difficult to use a plan as an example, as so much can change by the time it's constructed.

When I think of walkable "lifestyle center." I think of The Grove, out in LA.

http://www.thegrovela.com/

I find the village area to be quite walkable. Grab some Cold Stone and eat as you walk over to Barnes & Noble. The trees are starting to become a nice size (will be great in 5 years). Plenty of benches and pedestrian friendly area.

The big box area isn't walkable I agree, but then I don't know that it should be.....I wouldn't really want to walk with a 42" Plasma from Best Buy, a canoe from Dick's, or a case of wine from Total Wines. ;)

The fact is that it isn't walkable. Sure, you can walk from one small store to another, but you can do that in any strip center. Real walkability comes from density and mixed uses... neither of which the site has. Don't get me wrong, it's an improvement over most retail projects, but I don't think a couple benches and trees should be confused with viable non-automobile access.

Of course, I also think it's difficult to expect a developer to try to develop in a non-autocentric fashion when there really isn't any legitimate reason to. Where would pedestrian traffic come from? Dense office/residential space creates a demand for dense retail usage, not the other way around.

My wife and I moved here from LA a year and a half ago as many of you know. When the Grove was being built, their was a lot of buzz, which was indeed special because this is after all Los Angeles and "hip and trendy" is commonplace. I have to say though, that they really pulled it off especially with the fact that we're not talking about a lot of land there as the historical farmers market occupies a lot of space there already.

That being said an even newer "lifestyle center" opened up in Rancho Cucamonga 2 years ago and imho, it's even nicer then the Grove. It's called Victoria Gardens and it's the epitome of walkable from the lack of a single parking lot or garage; all parking is designed in a streetscape style ala single angles spaces throughout the entire development, to the housing of the food court in a free standing structure. This place is what MPTC should pattern itself after:

http://www.victoriagardensie.com/

PS have your sound on, prretty cool jazz going on. :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Easley Town Center's opening has been delayed. It was supposed to open in late 2009. The opening has now been pushed back to January 2010 due to the economy: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20.../812050315/1003

Is this project still on?

Noticed last night on the news, the bridge over the railroad tracks that will be the main entrance road received a portion of the Federal spendulous funds. Hope these dollars aren't being wasted.

Noticed last night on the news, the bridge over the railroad tracks that will be the main entrance road received a portion of the Federal spendulous funds. Hope these dollars aren't being wasted.

Yes it is.

Yes. Construction on the road improvements start June 1st. A new bridge over that railroad is needed very badly with or without this shopping center.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Aren't they going to make some road improvements in that area to support this development? When is that scheduled to occur?

Yes. Road construction signs started going up around the site two weeks ago, so anyday now. In fact, I think that crane is being used for the new five-lane bridge to be built over the railroad track.

Archived