Georgia Avenue

tombarnes

Fenty Has Big Plans for Georgia Avenue

Georgia Avenue, the long connecting street beteween downtown Washington and Silver Spring, may finally receive its long-awaited revival. They have been talking about reviving this moribund stretch for decades, but nothing ever seemed to happen. Now, several major projects are under construction and the Avenue is about to get attention from the Mayor's Office as well. I hope these plans are as successful as they are daring.

The Washington Post

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fenty Has Big Plans for Georgia Avenue

Georgia Avenue, the long connecting street beteween downtown Washington and Silver Spring, may finally receive its long-awaited revival. They have been talking about reviving this moribund stretch for decades, but nothing ever seemed to happen. Now, several major projects are under construction and the Avenue is about to get attention from the Mayor's Office as well. I hope these plans are as successful as they are daring.

The Washington Post

I'm not familiar that well with inner city Washington, but many areas are coming back to life quickly. Hopefully this will be one of those areas. By the way, did anyone else notice that Washington's revival has been solidified by the census? Did anyone see the updated census estimate showing the District's population growth? It has grown (according to thier estimate) by 10,000 since 2000. This is unbelievably good news for a city that has been in dire straits not so long ago. The rivival that has been ongoing since the 80's is now picking up pace. Hopefully incoming middle class residents will lower the crime associated with social decay and miscreants that has characterized it for so long.

This area is definitely ripe for revitalization from a development point of view. There are really some solid neighborhoods with "good bones" in the Georgia/Petworth area. I hope a delicate balance can be sought.

Anyone know how this area fares in terms of the crime rate?

This is from the District of Columbia's Government webpage

Homicide (2006) - 26

Sexual Assault (2006) - 40

Assualt with a Deadly Weapon (2006) - 638

Burglary (2006) - 1,056

Theft (2006) - 1,968

Theft from Auto (2006) 2,551

Stolen Auto - 1,247

Arson - 2

These statistics are for all of the 3rd District which encompasses alot more than Georgia Ave., but I believe alot of the crimes happened in this area.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread hasn't been active in a while. I live in Silver Spring fairly close to where Georgia Avenue crosses the line. The artery and surrounding neighborhoods still have a ways to go, but the general sense of improving conditions (retail and residences) is apparent. However, I agree with skylinefan that any successful long-term revitalization effort must include market-based and affordable housing options.

I work for a financial institution that is considering financing a new "affordable housing" mid-rise on Georgia Ave near the intersection of Taylor and where 9th St breaks north. Actually, after reading the article, I see that the project was mentioned. I will add that it is replacing a dirt/grass lot that has been used as vehicle storage :)

Archived