Ann Arbor One Ways gone Wrong

wolverine

The childish little prank of people switching all the one way signs around throughout the city is not funny. I just fixed all the one way and do enter signs that were turned around on my street last night. I also ended up going down division st this morning the wrong way because the signs were switched. If you see this kind of activity, call the city immediately, because someone is going to get hurt. This has been going on for a few weeks now, and I'm sick of my street switching orientation on a weekly basis.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They pull them out of the ground. There's a pipe in the ground where the sign is placed in. A pin keeps the sign mounted in place. If you pull the pin out, you can turn the sign around in the other direction. I know it isn't the wind blowing them because someone is putting the pins back in. I'm not surprised no one noticed them though. I took me like 10 seconds to fix one sign.

I wish AA would take more time to bolt down all of the signs here. They usually only do that with construction signs though. Sign theft is really common here, and it seems like the city had given up at one point. A month ago I somone walking down Washtenaw with an I-94 BR sign without a care if they were seen.

Interestingly enough, driving through my neighborhood last night (I live near St. Joe's) I noticed somebody had turned all the stop signs at a four-way stop in the same direction.

Of course they were all turned in my direction. So I stopped.

There was another stop sign turned the wrong way in my neighborhood this week. I tried to turn it back, but the ground is frozen now, so I could only turn it back about 45 degrees. Better than it was, though.

stopsigns4mh.jpg

EDIT: Wolverine, should have read your comment about the pins... that would have made my efforts to correct this much easier!

Archived