Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cotuit

500 Atlantic Avenue

15 posts in this topic

Luxury hotel project underway

Waterfront building to wrap around Big Dig vent system

By Chris Reidy, Globe Staff

I went by the site yesterday. There is a crane and some other heavy equipment but not sure if they are doing much yet.

now that would be a cool place to live. B)

This project is wonderful because it covers something terribly ugly but necessary (the vent towers) with something arguably attractive. The same goes for almost anything that will be built over the Pike. With this building, Independence Wharf that is there already, and Russia Wharf which will be there eventually, we have a new edge of the city. Russia Wharf has some height to it, and that will kick ass with the possible SST and South Gate stuff.

I can see this building from my office window, so I've been trying to pay attention to the progress. I had no idea those were the plans for the back of it, that looks terrific!

Tocoto, where on Washington is Liberty Place? I don't recall hearing about that one. Tx!

The other day I drove by the 'Residences at Intercontinental', the luxury hotel residences building by the waterfront. It's close to done now and looks pretty good. Got my digicam with me so took a quick shot. This project would definitely make the waterfront area more appealing. Can't wait until it's finished! :D

intercontinentalbridgeview9gs.th.jpg

*Click on the thumbnail for a full sized pic

wow thats looking awesome!!! when did they start building it?

I think they started to build it in 2004. Now they're closed to finish on the exterior, but haven't started on the interior yet. Completion date is expected to be in 2006. It'lll have the Intercontinental's flagship hotel in there, plus some residences on the upper floors. Looks like a new landmark to me - help keeps Boston on the radar.

I saw Intercontinental a couple weeks ago when I was on the way to the airport. Very nice! I really need to get up to Boston for a day soon to walk around and take some photos.

Some photos of Russia Wharf from yesterday:

2006-1125_russiawharf001.jpg

2006-1125_russiawharf002.jpg

2006-1125_russiawharf003.jpg

2006-1125_russiawharf004.jpg

Just to get clarification....the long planned Russia Wharf is planned for the 7-story brick building immediately south of the new IC hotel, correct?

I believe Russia Wharf extends from Congress Street across the Intercontinental property. The building between the Intercontinental and the Moakley Bridge is Independence Wharf.

I love this building. Came across it quite by accident, cutting through downtown on a recent visit to the city. The last time I'd passed that site nothing stood there. Now, a really nice hotel -- and the epitome of urban infill. What a great use of an unlikely site, IMHO.