Charleston area relocation thread

krazeeboi

^I'm sure that Charleston at its worse doesn't have anywhere near the traffic problems as New York.

NY is a complete disaster area....skyrocketing taxes & cost of living....under invasion from illegal immigration....CRUMBLING infrastructure & crooked politicians from the local level all the way up to the state level.

It has gone down the tubes rather fast & there is a mass exodus of the Middle Class going on here...

I just hope they don't all come down south & try to change the way things are done there......that's one of the biggest problems with NYers......they don't seem to realize that the rest of the nation is nothing like them....most here think that the way we do it is the way it should be done everywhere...I do not agree for one & cant wait to get OUT!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NY is a complete disaster area....skyrocketing taxes & cost of living....under invasion from illegal immigration....CRUMBLING infrastructure & crooked politicians from the local level all the way up to the state level.

It has gone down the tubes rather fast & there is a mass exodus of the Middle Class going on here...

I just hope they don't all come down south & try to change the way things are done there......that's one of the biggest problems with NYers......they don't seem to realize that the rest of the nation is nothing like them....most here think that the way we do it is the way it should be done everywhere...I do not agree for one & cant wait to get OUT!

One of my good friends from college moved to NYC and w/in a year he got the hell out b/c of exactly what you are saying. He to said there isn't much of a middle class there anymore b/c they are all moving out. He ended up moving back to Ohio, but I completely understand why you want to get out. Good luck finding a great place in the Charleston area, and if the most important part of your search is the school system, you cannot go wrong w/ Summerville. Mt Pleasant is close to that as well, but is much more expensive, but is also closer to the beaches, at least the IOP and Sullivans Island.

• 1 month later...

What would be the most affordable urban neighborhood in Charleston? I'm considering leaving Providence and Charlestown is a place I've heard many good things about, but I only have about 150k to spend on a single family. I'm not concerned with schools and I know I'm probably not going to afford the trendiest or most beautiful areas. Any good clean urban areas with double or triple-deckers for an owner occupied multi-family buy? I might be willing to play landlord if the numbers work and it means I can be a little closer to the city center. I'm discouraged with R.I. for my own reasons, but I love the character of Providence architecture and I must have beaches close to home.

Thanks!

Hello all. My partner & I (both male) are thinking of moving to the Chas area. We're both middle aged, and enjoy the laid back, quiet vibe of Chas & the lowcountry. I currently teach ESL to adults, and he's a psychotherapist for an outpatient rehab. We're looking to buy either a house or townhouse, preferably on James Is., for about $250-300K. We like its proximity between downtown and Folly Beach. We've scoped the area with regard to prices, locations, etc. We're pretty sure we wouldn't have trouble finding something we like, or finding jobs in or close to our professions. What we couldn't figure out was whether or not we would be tolerated as a gay couple. We're aware that Chas is more conservative, and that's okay. We don't expect to be accepted in the same way we are in NYC, but we don't want to be shunned either. We know downtown is somewhat gay tolerant but we don't want to live there because it's too crowded and expensive. Would James Is. be a good choice for us?

What would be the most affordable urban neighborhood in Charleston? I'm considering leaving Providence and Charlestown is a place I've heard many good things about, but I only have about 150k to spend on a single family. I'm not concerned with schools and I know I'm probably not going to afford the trendiest or most beautiful areas. Any good clean urban areas with double or triple-deckers for an owner occupied multi-family buy? I might be willing to play landlord if the numbers work and it means I can be a little closer to the city center. I'm discouraged with R.I. for my own reasons, but I love the character of Providence architecture and I must have beaches close to home.

Thanks!

If you are looking for an urban neighborhood we bought in the eastside neighborhood a year ago and we are very happy. We have a 2-family. For 150k to 250k you can find 2 family to rehab. We rent one flat to a family who home school their kids. Schools are not great in Charleston. the other flat is rented to college students. I think in the area many newcomers and residents prefer the "suburbs" like Mount pleasant ou Summerville but we are very urban. My husband is from Charleston but we live in Boston. we bought because we think of moving there in 3/4 years and prices in Downtown Charleston . "peninsula" are changing fast. The Eastside neighborhood has gotten underserved bad press. It is a mixed neighborhood, getting rehabed and gentrified but if you want an urban feel and be steps from grocery shopping, shops, Cafe and restaurant (on Upper King street a few blocks away) and close to bridge and access to beaches this is ideal.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. My partner & I (both male) are thinking of moving to the Chas area. We're both middle aged, and enjoy the laid back, quiet vibe of Chas & the lowcountry. I currently teach ESL to adults, and he's a psychotherapist for an outpatient rehab. We're looking to buy either a house or townhouse, preferably on James Is., for about $250-300K. We like its proximity between downtown and Folly Beach. We've scoped the area with regard to prices, locations, etc. We're pretty sure we wouldn't have trouble finding something we like, or finding jobs in or close to our professions. What we couldn't figure out was whether or not we would be tolerated as a gay couple. We're aware that Chas is more conservative, and that's okay. We don't expect to be accepted in the same way we are in NYC, but we don't want to be shunned either. We know downtown is somewhat gay tolerant but we don't want to live there because it's too crowded and expensive. Would James Is. be a good choice for us?

Good comments in the post above about where to live. The Charleston Peninsulua, in its entirety, will almost certainly be "gentrified" within 20 yeas (based on the changes I've seen in the past 20 years).

To your other question about being gay. Well, I can't give any firsthand experience but the Charleston area is so full of people from all over the place and it's always been a more laid back place - I can't imagine any problems. If you happen to live next to some hardcore Baptists, they won't exactly invite you over for dinner I guess but no one is going to burn your house down or anything like that.

I can't give any firsthand experience but the Charleston area is so full of people from all over the place and it's always been a more laid back place - I can't imagine any problems. If you happen to live next to some hardcore Baptists, they won't exactly invite you over for dinner I guess but no one is going to burn your house down or anything like that.

Thanks Native_Son for your comments. We've also gotten a lot of good feedback from another site where folks have encouraged us to settle in either James Is. or W. Ashley. It looks like Chas. is a city that takes pride in its cultural diversity and high quality of life. We're not concerned about being around a lot of gay folks. And our biggest concern isn't so much acceptance as much as being comfortable in our surroundings. We're just a little tired of the noise, filth, and general unmanageability of NYC, not to mention the horrible roads and bad drivers. NYC is overprice for what you get. Chas. ain't cheap either, but at least it's livable. Shoot, they even have a Livability Court, of all things!

Anyway, a Chas. realtor has been sending us updates on listings almost daily, and it looks like there's a lot of 3 br houses out there in the 250-300K range. If we can sell our co-op here in Bklyn, we just might follow the "palmetto highway" to the lowcountry so we can get a taste of that good life everyone's been bragging about. We're also thinking about renting for a few months while we house hunt so we won't be so rushed (or if we get cold feet).

In the meantime, the job market seems pretty good. Besides, charleston.net, Charleston City Paper, craigslist & Monster, are there any suggestions for job hunting in Chas.? We both have masters degrees. I teach for adult literacy programs (ESOL) and he is a social worker (therapist at a rehab). It's always more preferable to have a job when moving somewhere, but my experience is that it's difficult to secure a job "from off." Any suggestions?

I think thats probably true in larger cities. I can't speak for Charleston, but I would think that it doesn't matter if you live there or not. If anything, you might want to secure a job before you move so that you aren't stuck for a long time without a job. Its definitely the case for the rest of SC.

I think thats probably true in larger cities. I can't speak for Charleston, but I would think that it doesn't matter if you live there or not. If anything, you might want to secure a job before you move so that you aren't stuck for a long time without a job. Its definitely the case for the rest of SC.

I get that. I'd rather have something nailed down by the time I make the move. It looks like I'll have to do some traveling back and forth until then.

• 3 months later...

Welcome to the forum!

If you can afford it, I'On is a great neighborhood. Its one of the best examples of new urbanism in South Carolina. If I had to live in Mount Pleasant, that and the old village are the only places I would want to live.

Key word is AFFORD. I have no idea how some of those homes are worth that much. It is a beautiful neighborhood though.

The reason is because that type of housing is in high demand these days. People are seeing the advantages of a well constructed and well designed neighborhood as opposed to standard cul-de-sac sprawl. Right now, this type of neighborhood is hard to come by. Its basically I'On and Daniel Island. Daniel Island may be slightly more affordable, depending on whats there. Its not cheap either.

Thanks,

We looked at Danial Island Too, But some Locals told us that there could be an issue with a smell form a factory or paper mill... Something. Also I'on won with the year-round Pool and School in the development. Also looking at Olde Park , which we like the size of homes and yards better, Which seems to be a defacto part of I'on. is it? I have noticed that homes tend to stop at 7000 sf or so in the area,is that an ordinance or are there just no homes bigger that are for sale?

• 1 year later...

I'm seeing a lot of new home builders down here with whom I am not familiar. I recognize the big names like Lennar, Centex, David Weekley, Ryland, KB, and Beazer and I am familiar with the good and bad of each. I'm a little unsure about some of the others, though (Sabal Homes, Dan Ryan, First Coast, Harbor Homes, etc.) Does anyone have any feedback on these builders, good or bad? For the most part, we're looking at Beazer and Saussy Burbank neighborhoods near Knightsville, but I'm still open to investigating others that are building in Summerville.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

From the foothills to the coast, eh? Somebody can't keep still...:)

Yea - my employer decided they didn't need 5% of us anymore (me included) and then turned around a week later and spent $7.4 B to acquire another company. Needless to say, I couldn't find anything in Greenville. At least I'll only be 3 hours away so the kids can visit their grandparents. :shades:

I'm seeing a lot of new home builders down here with whom I am not familiar. I recognize the big names like Lennar, Centex, David Weekley, Ryland, KB, and Beazer and I am familiar with the good and bad of each. I'm a little unsure about some of the others, though (Sabal Homes, Dan Ryan, First Coast, Harbor Homes, etc.) Does anyone have any feedback on these builders, good or bad? For the most part, we're looking at Beazer and Saussy Burbank neighborhoods near Knightsville, but I'm still open to investigating others that are building in Summerville.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I haven't heard anything significant on any of those, but I know that Harbor Homes is the Charleston area arm of Mungo Homes from Columbia. I've seen the signs for the others you mention, but haven't heard of any experiences one way or the other.

Welcome to the Lowcountry.

Thanks for the feedback, y'all! After checking out some of the rental properties on Daniel Island, I think maybe we'll give that a go for a year or two (after our home in T.R. sells and the wife and kids move down). Summerville is great, but Daniel Island just seems perfect, now that we see it's more affordable than we had first thought.

Yea - my employer decided they didn't need 5% of us anymore (me included) and then turned around a week later and spent $7.4 B to acquire another company. Needless to say, I couldn't find anything in Greenville. At least I'll only be 3 hours away so the kids can visit their grandparents. :shades:

Pretty much the exact same story for me, RT. I landed down here at the end of January (2009) and ended up out of work just 3 weeks (yeah really lucky I know). Where are you working here? I'm at CCSD (MIS Officer)

Archived