Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOT

Wyoming Charges Police "Recovery Fees"

39 posts in this topic

In theory, could the residents of Wyoming demand an immediate reduction in taxes based on the percentage that is quoted in the article of "people who don't live within Wyoming's city limits".

Don't we pay taxes for these services? Who determines the fee, what goes into it, - this is kind of scary.

here is the link

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

Its probably because of the citizens of Wyoming demanding tax reductions that these fees exist in the first place ;)

More and more municipalities are adopting this "cost-recovery" fee. Wyoming residents are not going to ask for a tax deduction, because non-residents are the ones paying the fee.

One good reason to never shop or dine or travel thru Wyoming

ever again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey I don't thing they have the Brightest people running that town.

A while back they built a new fire house on 52nd & byroncenter

only to close it a year later due to lack of funding for the fire men.

One thing I notised is that on routine fire inspections (in Kentwood, anyways), they have THREE firemen on hand for inspections, with only one doing any actual work. I thought this was rather wasteful of the city's budget.

An update on this story.

Wyoming crash fees taking heat.

It was at 56th/Gezon Parkway and Bryon Center Ave. I thought the station closed after Wyoming Residents failed to pass a millage to help fund it. Sounds like it would also be the fault of Residents and just the local government that they voted into office.

"I don't think it's really realistic that people can avoid driving in Wyoming," said 2nd Ward Councilman Richard Pastoor, who voted against the measure and still opposes it. "If you've got a favorite restaurant in Wyoming, you're going to go there."

Are there any restaurants in Wyoming that you can't live without?

Are there any restaurants in Wyoming that you can't live without?

I tried to think of one, but truth is, I really don't go into Wyoming to eat much. If ever.

Even Division runs through Wyoming. I'd have to go to Eastern just to get into town.

Perhaps the surrounding communities should charge a similar fee, but only charge it to Wyoming residents... see how long that flies!

Having lived in Wyoming, I was always disturbed by the city's isolationist attitude. It does nothing to improve it's image or livability.

So much for "Vision and Progress"..

Whether you have a favorite place to eat in Wyoming or not, what about the rest of us that have to drive through some part of Wyoming going to and from work? It isn't like the City is only a few blocks long, it basically spans between City of Grand Rapids and Grandville all the way south near M6. That is a pretty large area to avoid or boycott (IMO).

If the knuckle heads running Wyoming would manage the city properly and the taxpayers living there willing to loosen their purse strings a bit to fund improvements to thir safety services, maybe shafting non-resisdents from there hard earn money wouldn't be necessary. In the mean time, I'm glad my location in Walker gives me multiple ways to the otherside of the metro. So, that means I can scratch off the Wyoming stretch of 28th street from my list of ways to my brother's place in Ada.

If the knuckle heads running Wyoming would manage the city properly and the taxpayers living there willing to loosen their purse strings a bit to fund improvements to thir safety services, maybe shafting non-resisdents from there hard earn money wouldn't be necessary. In the mean time, I'm glad my location in Walker gives me multiple ways to the otherside of the metro. So, that means I can scratch off the Wyoming stretch of 28th street from my list of ways to my brother's place in Ada.

Here is my question to Wyoming: "Do you have to have extra police on duty because of the extra traffic generated by non-residents?" My guess is no...they'd have the same whether or not any non-resident drove through the city because they'd still want to maintain a police presence throught the city for crime and other issues. If that is the case, then I think it boarders on immoral for them to charge non-residents for the police's time when they'd be paid anyways....accidents just get them out working instead of sitting in a cruiser waiting for a more serious call. Or, if they are going to charge the fee for the "service" then we should be able to refuse that service and not call the police. Currently, you are required by law to call the police if you're in an accident w/ more than $400(?) in damage..... I say, forget it...the people exchange information, insurance info, or whatever, and settle it w/o the police involved. If they decide they want to come anyways, then that is their call and the cops should pay, not us. Or maybe we can just get ordinances passed that say Wyoming residents aren't allowed to drive in our cities (for me, that's Kentwood.) ;)

Have you ever seen a property tax bill from Wyoming? I could not belive how high it was. Over $1800/year for a $95k house in the Divison/44th area. Maybe my area (Georgetown Township) is on the low side, but I pay that for a $160k house (McRanch for you haters) and I have no complaints about police, fire, schools snow removal or anything else my taxes pay for. It would seem like money management is the issue in Wyoming.

This is what happens when people go into politics for the money,

insted of trying to give back to the community.

You end up with people that are one tree short of a hammock running the show.