Wyoming Charges Police "Recovery Fees"

WOT

In theory, could the residents of Wyoming demand an immediate reduction in taxes based on the percentage that is quoted in the article of "people who don't live within Wyoming's city limits".

Don't we pay taxes for these services? Who determines the fee, what goes into it, - this is kind of scary.

here is the link

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps the surrounding communities should charge a similar fee, but only charge it to Wyoming residents... see how long that flies!

Having lived in Wyoming, I was always disturbed by the city's isolationist attitude. It does nothing to improve it's image or livability.

So much for "Vision and Progress"..

Whether you have a favorite place to eat in Wyoming or not, what about the rest of us that have to drive through some part of Wyoming going to and from work? It isn't like the City is only a few blocks long, it basically spans between City of Grand Rapids and Grandville all the way south near M6. That is a pretty large area to avoid or boycott (IMO).

If the knuckle heads running Wyoming would manage the city properly and the taxpayers living there willing to loosen their purse strings a bit to fund improvements to thir safety services, maybe shafting non-resisdents from there hard earn money wouldn't be necessary. In the mean time, I'm glad my location in Walker gives me multiple ways to the otherside of the metro. So, that means I can scratch off the Wyoming stretch of 28th street from my list of ways to my brother's place in Ada.

If the knuckle heads running Wyoming would manage the city properly and the taxpayers living there willing to loosen their purse strings a bit to fund improvements to thir safety services, maybe shafting non-resisdents from there hard earn money wouldn't be necessary. In the mean time, I'm glad my location in Walker gives me multiple ways to the otherside of the metro. So, that means I can scratch off the Wyoming stretch of 28th street from my list of ways to my brother's place in Ada.

Here is my question to Wyoming: "Do you have to have extra police on duty because of the extra traffic generated by non-residents?" My guess is no...they'd have the same whether or not any non-resident drove through the city because they'd still want to maintain a police presence throught the city for crime and other issues. If that is the case, then I think it boarders on immoral for them to charge non-residents for the police's time when they'd be paid anyways....accidents just get them out working instead of sitting in a cruiser waiting for a more serious call. Or, if they are going to charge the fee for the "service" then we should be able to refuse that service and not call the police. Currently, you are required by law to call the police if you're in an accident w/ more than $400(?) in damage..... I say, forget it...the people exchange information, insurance info, or whatever, and settle it w/o the police involved. If they decide they want to come anyways, then that is their call and the cops should pay, not us. Or maybe we can just get ordinances passed that say Wyoming residents aren't allowed to drive in our cities (for me, that's Kentwood.) ;)

Have you ever seen a property tax bill from Wyoming? I could not belive how high it was. Over $1800/year for a $95k house in the Divison/44th area. Maybe my area (Georgetown Township) is on the low side, but I pay that for a $160k house (McRanch for you haters) and I have no complaints about police, fire, schools snow removal or anything else my taxes pay for. It would seem like money management is the issue in Wyoming.

Archived