Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Downtown

Historic Earle Street

10 posts in this topic

I am starting this topic because there seem to be quite a few people on here that live on Earle Street or in the area.

Let's use this topic to keep track of new developments and news in the Earle/James Street area.

Has anyone noticed the new house going up by the apartments on West Earle (kind of across from White Hall)?

I hope that people can invest money into this historic district and restore a lot of the homes back to their original glory. It seems that you have several restored homes and then one that needs some desperate TLC. I'd REALLY like to see all of our historic districts turn kind of "Charlestonian" like--- in the sense that you'd be able to walk down Hampton Street, or Earle Street, or the Pettigru area and feel like you're in the 1800's and that you might pass Vardry McBee or Henry Middleton...

It seems that you have several restored homes and then one that needs some desperate TLC.

I like Earle St and wouldn't mind living there, but I would prefer one of the ones that hasn't already been fixed up. I can't afford to buy a fixed up one, and then go changing the whole inside, because I don't like their design palette.

Most of the double lots on Earle street are being sold and new houses going in. Fortunately, being a historic district, there are architectural guidelines that have to be followed.

I wanted to add I remember when people could still have farm animals on Earle Street. By the way, I am in my early 40's- not that old! My neighbors across the street had a white horse that they rode up and down Earle street. Other neighbors had chickens.

The family that lived across the street was one of the first families on the street and the house remains in this family. The son of the man that built the home is in his late 80's and he remembers as a child taking water to the men who where building houses on Earle. The man that built that house owned quite a bit of land in downtown Greenville and he chose to build on Earle as he had a view of his properties downtown.

Most of the double lots on Earle street are being sold and new houses going in. Fortunately, being a historic district, there are architectural guidelines that have to be followed.

I wanted to add I remember when people could still have farm animals on Earle Street. By the way, I am in my early 40's- not that old! My neighbors across the street had a white horse that they rode up and down Earle street. Other neighbors had chickens.

The family that lived across the street was one of the first families on the street and the house remains in this family. The son of the man that built the home is in his late 80's and he remembers as a child taking water to the men who where building houses on Earle. The man that built that house owned quite a bit of land in downtown Greenville and he chose to build on Earle as he had a view of his properties downtown.

It is important to note that on this street is a very old home called, "Whitehall," built by Governor Henry Middleton, the second President of the Continental Congress, and a wealthy Lowcountry landowner (read: Middleton Place Plantation).

Read More: Colonel Elias Earle Historic District