Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

michaelskis

How was the DJ for your wedding?

23 posts in this topic

Looking at the information for all these DJ

Our objective was to find someone who played what we wanted to hear and didn't talk at all.

make a playlist for your mp3 player, buy a set of rocking speakers, and skip all the dj bs. your guests will thank you.

For my sister's wedding, we had an iPod DJ. We bought the iPod DJ Mixer and my Dad paid one of my friends to keep the mp3 lists going.

We've used the iPod DJ Mixer over and over again. Worth the cost!

make a playlist for your mp3 player, buy a set of rocking speakers, and skip all the dj bs. your guests will thank you.

Don't forget to download The Chicken Dance and The Hokey Pokey. It's a tradition in our family. When the family and friends get blotto they all dance to this!

Our DJ sucked. Their music list wasn't comprehensive, and if we wanted to add songs, we had to "buy them" and then give them to the DJ in .mp3 format.

And they sent a freaking kid to it, not saying a kid cant do a good job, but we wern't looking for a 19 year old, and their maturity when we shelled out $850 for a DJ.

My daughter was just married at Meijer Garden. We had "The Fun 1" as the DJ.

He did a good job and came equipt with the chicken dance, etc.

He even gave dance instructions...

306.jpg

305.jpg

309.jpg

270.jpg

Ben Arendt of Stilllife photography did the photos.

He work is a combination of fine art, documentary and fairy tale.

I would highly recommend Ben if you need a photographer.

The wedding portfolio is online at:

http://www.stilllifephoto.com/darin/index.htm

He captured all of the evening in a very unexpected way.

Here are a few examples.

153.jpg

109.jpg

113.jpg

004.jpg

029.jpg

033.jpg

203.jpg

226.jpg

320.jpg

314.jpg

I did a surprise video for Jennie that was played for the father/daughter dance.

She cried. I did too.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...58461&hl=en

284.jpg

286.jpg

306.jpg

305.jpg

Ben Arendt of Stilllife photography did the photos.

He work is a combination of fine art, documentary and fairy tale.

I would highly recommend Ben if you need a photographer.

The wedding portfolio is online at:

<a href="http://www.stilllifephoto.com/darin/index.htm"'>http://www.stilllifephoto.com/darin/index.htm" target="_blank">http://www.stilllifephoto.com/darin/index.htm

</a>

He captured all of the evening in a very unexpected way.

Here are a few examples.

029.jpg

033.jpg

I also got married in the Meijer Gardens, in their large Grand Room. They did a nice job making sure everything went well with us.

But re: the topic, we had Rick Reuther's company as a DJ, and we were horribly dissapointed. We sat down with him prior to the reception with a list of songs we wanted played, yet he didn't play ANY of them. The song selection was weak at best... the DJ was definitely the "low-light" of our reception.

In a small-world event, I was a teacher's aide for a class your new son-in-law was in, in highschool. :rofl:

i've dj'd many weddings and have had nothing but compliments and many referrals.. but weddings are such a huge hassle and i have gone into remission as a wedding dj and have gone back to my club-loving-house music-pumping roots. i only dj weddings for friends now.

i can forward you a few names of reputable dj's for you to contact if you would like.

i had my reception at the wave room and was DEAD SET against a wedding dj. I lost that battle and we ended up having a dud dj. Didn't have crap for music and messed up our intros that i spent weeks on and had moron-proof instructions for and they still messed it up. yay.

Wow, thanks for all the information. Our photographer is from about a half hour north of here, and is giving us a great rate. Nice thing is she is using high quality film, having everything scanned to disks for us, and will be giving us one copy of each photo *up to 800 or so photos, the disk, a binder to keep the ones we like the most, and the negatives in the event that we want to get enlargements made.

I have already contacted a company that will put together a book with the scanned images, print out a few copies, and I think that we will give them as gifts to our families.

Back to the DJ thing

Actually, keep note there's 2 kids of MP3 DJs: Illegal and Legal.

The cost of a vinyl with 1-2 tracks is typically $15.

The cost of a CD with 12 or so tracks, but only 1-2 you'll end up using is typically $15.

The cost of a single MP3 is typically $3 (for the music I spin, anyways)

Vinyl Turntables, $200-$2000 for a pair depending on quality.

CD Turntables, $200-$2000 for a pair depending on quality.

Laptop + USB Soundcard, $100 (if you already have a laptop, which many do) -$2200.

Plus, Laptop DJing software is offering a lot of new features and technologies that allow DJs to accomplish things that just simply couldn't be done before, providing for a better end result.

MP3 DJing is on the rise, and although there are those who strictly oppose it, it will continue to rise. Only problem with laptop DJs is many of them forget to enjoy the music and put some energy into it, and there are those who use illegal MP3s. So extra caution is needed, but they shouldn't be dismissed altogether.

wow, i'd like to see these $2000 turntables :rofl:

while the use of turntables or cd players/cdj's will be around for a while longer, it is on the downfall.

mp3's/digital media will take over.

i have $1000 + $300 for needles in turntables, $2400 in cdj's

with software programs like serato, final scratch and traktor, a mere $600 will get you the program and the hardware to utilize your dj hardware along with your laptop and mp3's.

while I agree that there are a lot of "illegal" mp3 users out there, there is no way to distinguish amongst the two.

it's way too much work these days to carry around hundreds of cd's from wedding to wedding. a laptop, hardware, cdj's, and 150 gigs of music is all you need.

trust me, i remained "old school" for a long time. but times change and if you don't change with them, you get left behind.

i would definitely look into your options for a wedding dj. most likely the majority will be using digital media on a computer these days. i've been to maybe 2 weddings in the last few years where the dj was using the method of carrying around too much equipment.

I did mention for a pair. =p

I've actually been oogling these for a while now, knowing it will be a loooong time before I can afford them. (I know they're the must-have for all the major DJs, but I hate the Pioneer CDJs, they seem too faked, as with the majority of all the other CD turntables)

http://numark.com/products/product_view.ph...rview&n=150 (Numark X2, plays vinyls, cda, cd-mp3, and MP3 sticks.. and the vinyl deck can be used to manipulate the cds or mp3s just as you would any vinyl.. a full-moving jogwheel. Last I checked, this was selling in the $1000 range, maybe higher.)

Another I was eyeing before Numark released this was a CD deck (don't remember the make, but they had it at Guitar Center on 28th for quite a while, probably still do) the size of a vinyl deck and had the motorised jogwheel.. couldn't play vinyls though. $800 I think a year ago. The Numark is much more sleek and sexier looking, though.. and if I ever wanted to grab a vinyl for fun, I could.

And just a final note to the Laptop DJing, I would normally also include the cost of a mixer or some sort of controller. Using software mixers is just a hassle and is clunky.. it's very limiting because you have only one mouse and can only do so much at a time. With an external mixer, I can use all 10 of my fingers to manipulate what I need, exactly where I need it, and hey, maybe even use my chin for complex mixes. Even a simple $100 mixer will do wonders. (I just love my $100 numark.. I know there's better, but this thing just suits me perfect and anything else would be just bells and whistles.)