Transit 2020

quente

The city could fund the schools (and Pawtucket's schools, and Central Falls' schools, and Warwick's schools, and Cranston's schools, and East Providence's schools...) just by sitting on Federal Street where the speed sign is and issuing tickets to valets.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that is so awesome. i could get to work on the green line, and then the red line. It would be so easy. one of the things i like about light rail over buses is that i don't get all nauseated on light rail. city buses are so jerky and stop and goish and lurching that i feel so pukey by the time i get anywhere. light rail is so much smoother.

I like it -- but it suffers from the same problem most public-transit systems have: plenty of radial routes into and out of downtown, but not so great for going from one outlying location to another, or through town (e.g., whenever I look at the RIPTA schedule, thinking about commuting from the East Side to, say, Cranston or Warwick, it always looks like it'd take forever, so I'd end up driving most of the time). Not being a transporation planner, I don't know what the solution is -- spending bazillions of dollars to build a circumpolar route that would be lightly used obviously isn't it.

Thoughts?

Urb

I like it -- but it suffers from the same problem most public-transit systems have: plenty of radial routes into and out of downtown, but not so great for going from one outlying location to another, or through town (e.g., whenever I look at the RIPTA schedule, thinking about commuting from the East Side to, say, Cranston or Warwick, it always looks like it'd take forever, so I'd end up driving most of the time). Not being a transporation planner, I don't know what the solution is -- spending bazillions of dollars to build a circumpolar route that would be lightly used obviously isn't it.

Thoughts?

Urb

I hope the mayor doesn't sell out and incorporate BRT instead. Boston really copped out with the Silver Line. I've been trying to find articles comparing Bus Rapid Transit to Light Rail and the only argument I can find for the former is in a sprawled environment where the bus can run on existing HOV lanes.

Here's an article in favor of BRT.

http://www.i2i.org/articles/10-2003.pdf

There's some intangible evidence that people just prefer light rail, but also some economic benefits as well. Also, it's been proven that stations spur development in the area surrounding themselves. I'd like to find some unbiased articles that compare the real benefits of either.

I found this presentation about RIPTAs vision for Rhode Island. Slide 16 has a good map.

www.reconnectingamerica.org/pdfs/RIPTA CNU 06.pdf

I does leave out the much needed northern routes via North Main and Smith ST.

This presentation makes it sound like it will be a combination of Streetcars and BRTs.

• 1 month later...

the co-located RIPTA hub with the train station would form a much stronger mass-transit system than the current set-up. The train station location bus hub would still offer service to the same places. Increasing the times on the trolley that runs between the new location and key 'downtown' routes would be fine.

Archived