Transit 2020

quente

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIPTA needs to create a Providence Station to TF Green shuttle until the intermodal opens. They could even use a RIde sized 'jitney' bus to save on costs:

these times would match up perfectly with exisiting MBCR service:

PRV-TFG 0735-0800

TFG-PRV 0905-0930

PRV-TFG 0940-1005

TFG-PRV 1105-1130

PRV-TFG 1140-1205

TFG-PRV 1250-1315

PRV-TFG 1320-1345

TFG-PRV 1440-1505

PRV-TFG 1520-1545

TFG-PRV 1625-1650

PRV-TFG 1655-1720

TFG-PRV 1725-1750

PRV-TFG 1820-1845

TFG-PRV 1935-2000

PRV-TFG 2010-2035

TFG-PRV 2105-2130

I asked the girls at the airport info booth and they said that there are so many people trying to bridge the gap between the airport and the train. Current options are RIPTA with a connection to the gold line in KP or a $9.00 fare on a private van door to door. RIPTA could charge 2 or 3 bucks each way and I'd argue it could come close to breaking-even financially.

10 miles between TFG and PRV (thanks mapquest).

gas @ 3.00 per gallon (high/conservative) with the van getting 15 miles per gallon

gas would equal $2 per one way trip (16 trips would equal 32 dollars). A driver makes what 12-15 per hour???? The schedule is 9 hours of use so that would be 108-135 dollar per day.

so that would be about 150 dollars in costs plus insurance and upkeep.

they would need 75 people at a $2 fare or 50 at $3 PER DAY (plus ins. and mx.). That equates to an average of 5 people on each leg at $2 and 3-4 at $3!! Add in those other costs and it would maybe 7-8 at $2 and 5-6 at $3

I think thats feasible...

I had actually suggested getting coaches to run the proposed southern rail route so that the service could start now as an express bus route (Kingston, Wickford Jct., T.F. Green, Providence Station, Pawtucket). Run that route as express commuter coach buses on the proposed rail timetable then once rail is running, move the coaches to another route, such as Westerly express. This would get people used to the service and start to build a customer base that would switch to rail once it is complete.

I had actually suggested getting coaches to run the proposed southern rail route so that the service could start now as an express bus route (Kingston, Wickford Jct., T.F. Green, Providence Station, Pawtucket). Run that route as express commuter coach buses on the proposed rail timetable then once rail is running, move the coaches to another route, such as Westerly express. This would get people used to the service and start to build a customer base that would switch to rail once it is complete.

RIPTA needs to create a Providence Station to TF Green shuttle until the intermodal opens. They could even use a RIde sized 'jitney' bus to save on costs:

I agree with you. Do you know why Peter Pan stopped the service at TFG? My understanding was that the numbers were pretty good considering the cost to Boston was much higher than from KP. I know some people who used the service to Boston on a daily basis even with the higher round trip fare. RIPTA as part of their charter is supposed to own all local service within Rhode Island. That is how they took over the PRV-Newport service and a couple of local east bay lines that no longer exist. They also took over service to NW Rhode Island and west bay service to Narr/Wakefield. Did this finally affect the Bonanza/Peter Pan service to the airport?

Mark

yes, Bonanza (now Peter Pan) was unable to sell tickets to the 'local' passenger between TFG and Providence. This also caused them to charge more on the tickets they could sell between TFG and Boston, which eventually killed the service. I've read and heard rumors about buses to the Cape and even recently, a return of Peter Pan buses to TFG with better service to places like the Cape and Worcester.

i know this complaint/question is about ripta, but this is a transit thread...

having just moved to federal hill right off atwells, i was considering going for a walk tonight down to the eagle square shaws, buying my groceries and taking the bus back, planning my trip around the bus/trolley schedules. the green line trolley goes right to shaws, while the 26 bus goes down atwells. looking at the schedule, the 26 bus makes its last trip inbound, arriving at KP at like 6:30-ish. surely i must be missing something here... is there a night schedule for it or does it really stop that early (the saturday schedule has the last inbound at like 7:40-ish)?

i also noticed the trolley run "every 20 min" until 9:30, but stops earlier on weekends. what's up with that? i know there are later buses, but why does this one in particular (one that goes to RIC and goes through one of the biggest tourist destinations and a pretty densely populated area with lots of college kids) stop long before people want to come home from the bars? i can understand if it stopped around midnight like the others, but this is ridiculous! i really hope i'm missing something here.

i've decided that i'll just drive to shaws (after i wait about an hour or so to let rush hour die down).

• 3 weeks later...

Transportation 2030 Information Survey is available on the Statewide Planning web site. This 5 to 10 minute survey asks for information on Demographics, Travel Mode (auto, transit, walking, bicycling), and your opinion on a variety of transportation related issues. The information from the survey will be used to help update the State's 20-year Transportation Plan. Both the survey and the current Transportation Plan can be linked to from the Transportation Section home page at http://www.planning.ri.gov/transportation/default.htm

Transportation 2030 Information Survey is available on the Statewide Planning web site. This 5 to 10 minute survey asks for information on Demographics, Travel Mode (auto, transit, walking, bicycling), and your opinion on a variety of transportation related issues. The information from the survey will be used to help update the State's 20-year Transportation Plan. Both the survey and the current Transportation Plan can be linked to from the Transportation Section home page at http://www.planning.ri.gov/transportation/default.htm

• 2 weeks later...

why can't ripta have a trip planner like the one for the MBTA? it allows you to put in actual addresses. on the timecharts for ripta's 26, they don't include such major intersections as dean and atwells. the nearest ones are lasalle sq (which i realize is really close) or eagle square. i was trying to plan a trip to get to work, but nothing came up because i chose federal hill house, thinking it was between the 2. silly me.

i really wish i could use ripta... i might pick a week this summer and test it out.

EDIT: so i tried using the trip planner from lasalle sq. what a waste that was. it suggested i take the #9 bus at 7:00 to KP, sit at KP for over an hour and then take the 55. and if i dare try starting at eagle sq, it suggests i take the 26, putting me at KP at 6:30. i have a feeling the #55 doesn't start very early... what a crappy website and bus service. the best part of all this is that the times given by the trip planner are not the same as the times on the bus schedules. :dontknow::wacko:

Archived