Transit 2020

quente

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say screw RITPA totally and just walk the full way there. What is it, 2 miles? Bring a change of clothes, and think about it, in the end you'll have 400 calories burned so you can drink more heavily that night. And it's free transportation that might take 40 minutes at the most.

I'd say screw RITPA totally and just walk the full way there. What is it, 2 miles? Bring a change of clothes, and think about it, in the end you'll have 400 calories burned so you can drink more heavily that night. And it's free transportation that might take 40 minutes at the most.

I feel your pain, Jim. :(

I have to go from KP to Branch Avenue for an event at noon today. The 52 only runs once an hour, so I would have to take the 11:10 to get there before noon. I could absolutely walk the 3 miles in that time, but I don't have 50 minutes to walk there and 50 minutes to walk back in the middle of the day! I'm going to take a taxi (which is ridiculous) there and back, but it's going to save me about 1.5 hours of waiting for the bus/milling around time.

More buses, please, RIPTA!

I just started a new gig in Boston, so I now walk from the Armory to the train station and back. About 1.4 miles each way. Takes me 20 minutes one way. Past two days I have biked, cutting it down to 10 minutes. I wear business attire (dress shirt, pants). I dont break a sweat.

I understand its a bit different route for ya though...

i have a problem where i sweat very easily (this has nothing to do with my weight as i've always been this way, even when i was in good shape). the walk to work would be just under 2 miles one way (i usually make that drive now, but driving dean street is much safer than walking it). i wear business attire (although business casual in the summer, so i get to wear a polo instead of a shirt and tie, but still pants), and i carry my computer with me to work everyday. i have to be at work at 8:30. next week i think i'm gonna try walking to KP and taking the bus. if i get there and find out i've missed it, i should have enough time to walk back to my apartment and drive to work. being able to drive makes it really unfathomable as to why i'd try walking or taking the bus. but i have this thing about trying to lose weight, so i figured taking the bus will at least get me walking a little bit more than i do now (i go for a walk almost everyday after work).

i'm gonna study the bus schedules and hopefully i'll figure this whole thing out. thanks for all the suggestions. the walk to KP for me is only about 10 min. if the walk to work wasn't dean street and i didn't have to go uphill in the morning, i'd almost definitely walk.

I bike ~1 mile daily to and from work in business attire (I don't wear a tie, but if I had to I could certainly put it on at work). I tend to sweat a lot too - also something that has been true with me regardless of my weight. Unless it's an extraordinarily humid day, though, it's usually no big deal. As long as I don't overexert myself on the bike (and there's rarely any reason to), there's no problem. Of course, I also have a small fan at my desk in case I overheat on the ride in, and instead of a bus pass, I carry a spare deodorant in my bag...

I bike ~1 mile daily to and from work in business attire (I don't wear a tie, but if I had to I could certainly put it on at work). I tend to sweat a lot too - also something that has been true with me regardless of my weight. Unless it's an extraordinarily humid day, though, it's usually no big deal. As long as I don't overexert myself on the bike (and there's rarely any reason to), there's no problem. Of course, I also have a small fan at my desk in case I overheat on the ride in, and instead of a bus pass, I carry a spare deodorant in my bag...

I'm very active and not overweight yet sweat profusely as well. When I used to walk from KP to the State House I'd always be sweaty by the end. This is why workplaces should have places for employees to shower in. I used to just wear an undershirt to soak up the sweat or change clothes once I got into work. I understand your dilemna though, especially if you have no place to change. When I walked to the train station to go to Boston for a conference a few weeks ago one of the days was brutally humid (even at 7am) and I was drenched by the time I got to the train and then got to drench my train seat as well. I felt bad for the people crammed next to me. :sick: Luckily some people like that manscent...

I'm very active and not overweight yet sweat profusely as well. When I used to walk from KP to the State House I'd always be sweaty by the end. This is why workplaces should have places for employees to shower in. I used to just wear an undershirt to soak up the sweat or change clothes once I got into work. I understand your dilemna though, especially if you have no place to change. When I walked to the train station to go to Boston for a conference a few weeks ago one of the days was brutally humid (even at 7am) and I was drenched by the time I got to the train and then got to drench my train seat as well. I felt bad for the people crammed next to me. :sick: Luckily some people like that manscent...

Off topic??? :dontknow:

New York City, where tolls are $6 and putting your car in a parking garage for just an hour can run you $20, is already an expensive place to drive. Now the mayor wants to make it so costly some people won't even bother driving and will take mass transit instead. http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles...nsive_to_drive/

Off topic??? :dontknow:

New York City, where tolls are $6 and putting your car in a parking garage for just an hour can run you $20, is already an expensive place to drive. Now the mayor wants to make it so costly some people won't even bother driving and will take mass transit instead. http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles...nsive_to_drive/

jim, can you bike to KP and get the bus you want from there? Its pretty much a downhill ride to KP from your neighborhood, and that gentle breeze should help :) You could then bring the bike on the bus with you and lock it up at work.

My coworker who lives near me is successfully biking to KP and then taking the bike on the bus to work. I'm eager to try it myself, but he has the ease of coming home after work, so he just reverses his plan. I, on the other hand, have somewhere different to be each night after work, so I need to figure a bus/bike route to each destination from the office, and from each destination back home in the dark...

A trip planner would be nice.

that's exactly the problem i'd have. even when it's not overly hot, i sweat. it's just the genes... i think it has something to do with being italian, my whole family is that way.

i have a place to change, but no place to shower. if i had a place to shower, i'd definitely leave early and walk it.

How many of you guys went to bike-to-work day on May 18? Sure it was crummy weather and raining, but it was a chance to show the DOT and city that we really have people who are interested in commuting by bike! I ride from near Wayland square to the train station every morning to catch the 5:07 AM train, and I ride back (uphill all the way), usually between 7 and 8 PM.

It CAN be done!

P.S. The train station is an absolute disgusting outrage. As a gateway for visitors arriving by train, it certainly sends a horrible message about the city. The train platforms are constantly blocked because of drips from the roof area, the escalator is STILL not in service --- for years now --- and the station manager gives you a hard time if you dare to ask when things are going to be fixed. AMTRAK employees apparently can park on the sidewalk with impunity, which I'm sure doesn't help with the collapsing ceiling on the platform below. The retaining wall is crumbling before our eyes. And oh yes, the bus schedules are useless for anyone commuting from Boston.

So I considered this thread the best place to put my random train comments.

I just got back from a short trip in Baltimore/Washington, and I took the subway downtown.

When I boarded at noon, one of the escalators was broken. When I returned around 4, it was repaired. Providence station should take noticfe.

Honestly though, I think DC's Metro, while it's had some problems the past few years, was really ahead of its time and can be a good example for Providence.

So I considered this thread the best place to put my random train comments.

I just got back from a short trip in Baltimore/Washington, and I took the subway downtown.

When I boarded at noon, one of the escalators was broken. When I returned around 4, it was repaired. Providence station should take noticfe.

Honestly though, I think DC's Metro, while it's had some problems the past few years, was really ahead of its time and can be a good example for Providence.

I'm thinking one of these days, I'll just show up and fix it. I don't know a lot about escalator repairs, but I'm a pretty handy guy; I think I can figure it out. And really... is anyone going to stop me and say "don't fix that!" :P

What is the deal with the escalator in Providence Station? I just started taking the train regularly and people have said that escalator has been broken for over a year? How the hell is that allowed to just sit broken for that long?

Archived