Raleigh photos

Raleigh-NC

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the question is, what are you allergic to? It may not be tree pollen. I'm surprised by how soon pollen season starts in Georgia! It starts a few weeks earlier than it does back home in Arden. Flowering trees all around and buds for new leaves are appearing already. Athens-Gainesville-Atlanta is already starting to turn green! :o I like warm weather and green trees, of course I want to go back home to Asheville for the summer. If it's green and warm now, just think how hot it will be this summer! :o I've also been warned that the area's nickname is Hotlanta, named for the "heat island" effect during the summer. They say the development here can actually produce it's own weather. :o:lol::(

Matthew you are correct... Widespread "urban heating" reacts with cooler air masses over the Atlanta metro area and often results in localized and brief afternoon thunderstorms during the summer.

While other metros experience the "urban heating" or "urban heat island" phenomenon, Atlanta often experiences stronger effects than most. It has to do with the sharp contrast of temperatures--the cooler air from the rural northern foothills, the blast of moist air from the south, and the super heated air right over the city. BOOM!

Regarding my allergies: Unfortunately I have an extreme allergic reaction to trees indiginous to this region, as well as many kinds of grass. In fact, during allergy testing with the pin pricks and the serum (I was around 13 years old), I started going into Anaphylactic Shock... :blink:

Depending on antenna gain, the ERP (equivalent radiated power) of some of those antennas might be enough to nuke you if you stand in front of it long enough.

Scary how an RF amplifier may only produce 30 watts, but the equivalent strength at the antenna might be closer to 3000 watts thanks to a beaming effect--definitely not good for organic tissue at 2 GHz (near microwave frequencies).

Speaking of that, often times radio and TV stations love being in taller buildings because they don't need separate towers for getting data to their main transmitter site (usually off in a rural area), they can just perch something up on the roof for that purpose.

In Raleigh, ClearChannel and Curtis Media both occupy offices in the Highwoods buildings that comprise north Raleigh's "beltline skyline" between Wake Forest Rd and Capital Blvd. There were some rumblings about ClearChannel leaving Highwoods and going to a new midrise building in Cary... I'm glad they didn't. Smoketree Tower, even though only 11 stories, is quite nice--luxurious is a good adjective.

In Charlotte, I think ClearChannel keeps their studios in a similar short high-rise (mid-rise?) on Morehead near Uptown. Some of Viacom's Infinity Radio stations are in the Park Ave Building in South End (there's a Quizno's at street level, yum!). I'm surprised Infinity or ClearChannel don't have something going on in one of the Uptown towers, or perhaps SouthPark Towers or a neighboring building in SouthPark.

It makes sense, and it reduces the number of unsightly towers in urban or suburban areas and office parks.

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE READ MY INTRODUCTION BEFORE LOOKING AT THE PHOTOS!!!

For quite some time I've been promising to cover DT Raleigh's nightlife spots. With Glenwood South being our major (but not only) entertaiment district, it is natural that this area will receive the bulk of my attention. I won't bore you with the history of this district and how it got to this point, but for those who have never heard anything about it I will provide a little background information. Glenwood South is a district consisted of 25 city blocks (as defined by the City of Raleigh), but its main core consists of 5-7 blocks along Glenwood Avenue, a couple of blocks along Jones Street and another block along West Street. A few years ago, Glenwood South was nothing less of a disgrace, an image that changed with the revitalization of The Creamery and the building of 510 Glenwood, both mixed-use projects. In the last 2 years, Glenwood South became our major entertainment destination, followed closely by City Market and the Warehouse District.

Before I begin the tour, I would like to apologize for the low quality of my photos. Believe me, I tried my best, but my best just wasn't good enough :( Whether I used a solid surface, or simply used my hands, most pictures came out horrible; sorry, but I didn't carry the tripod with me... I would have looked totally stupid, or so I would feel. My wife and I went to Glenwood South for an event that alas, it wasn't successful at all, with poor attendance... the poorest I remember our group to have :( Anyway, we stayed with our friends until midnight and then decided to take a walk. My wife was getting a little impatient on her high heels, but I had to take a few pictures. Naturally, I took a lot of photos from the same spot and I did not cover a lot of territory, so please forgive the redundance and the low quality of my photos. I need to practice more and find the best possible settings for my camera. I am open to suggestions.

Let's start the tour!!!

Looking towards the North:

27412599.jpg

A shot of Aura club:

27412600.jpg

At Helios Cafe:

27412601.jpg

The front patio was nearly packed, so this photo doesn't do justice:

27412602.jpg

The inside wasn't packed, but there were lots of people sitting outside the center of the cafe:

27412603.jpg

A clear shot of The Creamery:

27412604.jpg

Trying to make an honest living:

27412605.jpg

Some aquaintances of mine who just happened to be at Helios Cafe:

27412606.jpg

Looking towards the North side:

27412607.jpg

Same old...

27412608.jpg

... same old...

27412609.jpg

... same old:

27412610.jpg

A side photo of Aura club:

27412611.jpg

At the back of Helios Cafe... They have a few tables along a faux sidewalk, right at the parking lot... Actually, it looks cool. Kind of hard not to notice the antique car:

27412612.jpg

One more photo of Aura club, of its front this time:

27412613.jpg

A couple of shots of 518 West. It is closed around this time, so not much movement was visible here:

27412614.jpg

27412615.jpg

This gallery, while closed, provided another test of my ability to take evening shots... this time a successful one:

27412616.jpg

Hibernian... one of the several Irish Pubs in Raleigh:

27412617.jpg

27412618.jpg

There was a sea of people walking my direction, but only my eye could capture that moment:

27412619.jpg

Anyone wants to get dizzy?

27412620.jpg

Stool Pigeons was packed, but this is not evident from this picture:

27412621.jpg

One guy, three girls, with two more waiting... This dude scored pretty well :):

27412622.jpg

27412623.jpg

Outside Sullivans and April & George's wine bar... Both places were busy, but the latter was packed with people. I wish I could have taken photos in there, but I didn't dare upsetting anyone?

27412624.jpg

Heading towards Bogart's and Vivo... another blurry shot:

27412625.jpg

Got "dogs"? This shot isn't a clear one, but I think it looks cool:

27412626.jpg

People are still walking around:

27412627.jpg

How can we miss the limo? These "babies" make their appearance very frequently around Glenwood South. SUV limos, Humvee limos, pickup truck limos... you name it and it has made appearance around here:

27412628.jpg

Back at Helios Cafe, to say goodnight to some friends. No more shots of Helios Cafe, I promise:

27412629.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this tour. I had no choice but to keep it short and not cover the entire district as best as I could (I have my wife to blame for this), but I will make an effort to cover this area again, after I experiment more with evening shots and learn to handle my camera better. Thanks for visiting!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The majority of these were taken from the convention center parking deck at various stages of twlight. Enjoy.

This one wasn't:

ral48.3.jpg

nor this one:

ral48.1.jpg

ral48.4.jpg

Still workin':

ral48.6.jpg

ral48.7.jpg

ral48.8.jpg

ral48.9.jpg

ral48.10.jpg

ral48.11.jpg

ral48.12.jpg

ral48.13.jpg

ral48.14.jpg

ral48.15.jpg

ral48.16.jpg

ral48.17.jpg

ral48.18.jpg

ral48.19.jpg

This is the most common sight in Raleigh, a red light.

ral48.20.jpg

ral48.21.jpg

ral48.22.jpg

ral48.23.jpg

ral48.24.jpg

ral48.25.jpg

ral48.26.jpg

ral48.27.jpg

ral48.28.jpg

ral48.29.jpg

ral48.30.jpg

ral48.31.jpg

ral48.32.jpg

States library and Bell tower:

ral48.33.jpg

ral48.34.jpg

ral48.35.jpg

ral48.36.jpg

ral48.37.jpg

ral48.40.jpg

ral48.41.jpg

ral48.42.jpg

Some projection of a duck on the side of a building:

ral48.2.jpg

ral48.43.jpg

ral48.5.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Thanks guys. Raleigh has been fun to photograph recently.

monsoon, I'm not sure what that projection was. It must be something to draw peoples attention from around the City Market area. It's probably some restaurant or club or the like.

My brother is a big time storm chaser, and he made his way here twice in the past 4 days in anticipation of severe weather. Saturday produced some lighting at the three 2000 ft TV towers in Garner, NC. Today was more of a disappointment as we headed towards Tarboro in search for more, but back in Raleigh, the exiting storm clouds provided an interesting backdrop to the soaked skyline.

A few snapshots from today:

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

r4.jpg

Stills from a combined video effort Saturday, from his website http://wvlightning.com:

april10c.jpg

april10f.jpg

april10a.jpg

glow2.jpg

april10e.jpg

april10b.jpg

glow.jpg

april10d.jpg

april10g.jpg

april10i.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

Whats the deal about this duck being illuminated on the side of the building?

I'm pretty sure that is projected onto a nice Raleigh restaurant called the Duck and Dumpling. Could be wrong. Pretty sure.

Update: It's definitely an ad for the Duck and Dumpling. The projection isn't onto the restaurant itself. It's actually projected onto a nearby building owned by the guy that owns the restaurant.

It's a new era, folks. After $1,600 and a new Sony TRV950 Digital Video Camera, I present some raw footage of Raleigh. Stay tuned for more in this series.

This is a rather large file, 18MB, but it should stream (Windows Media Player). It's about 4 minutes and barely edited.

The Video:

http://www.pittsburghskyline.com/ral.wmv

Real version:

http://www.pittsburghskyline.com/ral.rm

This Real version has unedited music though and is therefore explicit at one part. :ph34r:

This vantage was once again the parking deck from the convention center. It was windy, so sorry for the wind noise. Theres a little bad camera movement in there a few spots too.

29 mb file:

http://www.pittsburghskyline.com/video/raleigh_41904.mpg

Also, here is a time lapse of sunset:

http://www.pittsburghskyline.com/video/tlap.mpg

Here is where you are looking in the previous video:

419pan.jpg

You can catch a video version of some of these here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ST&f=132&t=3693

For instance, you can watch this

ral.419.31.jpg

turn to this

ral.419.32.jpg

via this

ral.419.33.jpg

(an ~hour time exposure)

Anyway, on to the rest.

The large acorn of Raleigh:

ral.419.1.jpg

Superman?

ral.419.2.jpg

These guys are getting ready for the evening business at City Market.

ral.419.3.jpg

The crane probably wont be up too much longer at the new 2 Progess Plaza.

ral.419.4.jpg

But they still have some work to do.

ral.419.5.jpg

ral.419.6.jpg

ral.419.7.jpg

I wish I had a picture from here before construction.

ral.419.8.jpg

ral.419.9.jpg

ral.419.11.jpg

ral.419.12.jpg

6 floors up feels higher than you'd think form the edge.

ral.419.13.jpg

Yet another tribute to the new camera.

ral.419.34.jpg

ral.419.14.jpg

ral.419.15.jpg

ral.419.16.jpg

ral.419.17.jpg

ral.419.18.jpg

ral.419.19.jpg

ral.419.20.jpg

ral.419.21.jpg

Its still red.