Raleigh photos

Raleigh-NC

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Raleigh-NC and I met up last week to venture up to the roof of the Archdale building, downtown. Once we got up there, we maneuvered around several inches of water in a narrow path, and scaled a thin metal ladder about 15 feet (with a 20 or so foot drop below) and were presented with these views. Enjoy!

12.jpg

5.jpg

Zoom a bit, I've become real fond of Wachovia Capitol Center ever since doing the SSP diagram for it

2.jpg

A bit more

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

I'm always intrigued by these three 2,000 footers:

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

The structure on the rightside of the roadway in the distance here is the hospital parking deck from which other views have been offered.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

29.jpg

The feeling you get from the edge of a taller building isn't justified in the picture:

30.jpg

It was pretty narrow up there.

31.jpg

I want to emphasize my thanks to Ernest (Raleigh-NC) for his generosity and opportunity to go to the top of the building. My girlfriend and I patronized the restaurant he hosts at, Piccola Italia in Cameron Village, later that night, and it didn't disappoint! I'd recommend it to any in the area.

Hopefully look forward to more of the Raleigh-NC/Flash combo for better angles around Raleigh!

Once again, those are great pics... I am pleased to see them here and not just on SSP. Someone on SSP commented on how flat Raleigh seemed, and though it is not foothill geography, Raleigh can get pretty hilly in areas due to the proximity a very ancient band of volcanic mountains. It could be said that Raleigh sits on the eastern edge of highly eroded foothills.

You can see the variations in elevation on the zoomed pics by looking at the waves in the tree tops.

Coming back from Triangle Towne Center (heh heh) yesterday I noticed the geography even more as I approached Crabtree Valley on the I440. You can see that small building (whatever the name of it is) that's on the top of the hill behind Crabtree Mall from way up near the Lassiter Mill Rd overpass.

Northwest and western Raleigh (even parts inside the beltline) have some nice variations in geography, especially considering how close it is to the rather flat coastal plain.

Are you talking about the state governent lawn? I think it may have parking spaces under it, not certain though. It could have better uses, but being surrounded by state buildings, it will probably always be a boring green lawn for lunchtime workers.

These are great pics. Progress really added to that side of the skyline, put a big building off of Fayetteville.

Yeah, I guess I am talking about the government lawn. Did not know that's what it was. Too bad they can't use it for a public park of sorts, would be great as that! In Charlotte there is a parking lot under The Green and it is probably the nicest park in Charlotte, but it's so small.

Thanks guys.

Raleigh-NC had mentioned that that lawn could be a good place for a festival park, rather than the proposed lots near the convention center plans. I agree. It sure doesn't seem like the lawn sees any real activity. No one is "enjoying it" in these pics.

These photos are fantastic!!! Flash and I had a blast getting on the top of Archdale Building. The roof is actually the equivalent of the 17th floor, which may not sound impessive, but when you see only the sky above you and the ground 17 floors below you, it is really an amazing feeling. The view is excellent, but the only problem is the angle from which we took the photos. Sadly, it overemphasizes the linear pattern that has been used, and many towers are hardly visible. Our tallest building (BB&T) cannot even be seen :( This testifies how desperately Raleigh needs to see more high-rises along other streets. The angle would have been perfect if the Archdale Building was to the East of its present location, but for now the Archdale Building is the best we can do, as far as getting on the roof of a high-rise is concerned.

I have not seen it being mentioned here, so I will take the liberty and say something. An older proposal has been revived for the lot directly opposite to the cylindrical 20-story hotel (visible near the center/top of the photo below). The initial proposal was for up to 29 stories, but the developers revealed, on a TV interview, that they wish to push it up to 37 stories, making it the new tallest for DT Raleigh. This piece of news can only generate excitement and increase our anxiety. Whether delivered as envisioned, or not, the proposed tower will join the nearby Clarion Hotel and the 14-story mixed-use tower (ready to break ground in about 2 months; also developed by the same developer) in creating another small cluster of towers... this time away from Fayetteville Street Mall. If all goes as planned, the 37-story tower will appear at the area near the top of the center vertical [imaginary] axis in the picture below:

29.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last Sunday was one of the clearest summer days in a long time. The temperature was just right and everything... perfect. I stopped by Dorothea Dix to snap a couple shots from there, and then came back at sunset to *attempt* to film a time lapse and photograph some more.

3.jpg

5.jpg

51.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

Start of the evening sets:

18.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

50.jpg

48.jpg

26.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

Now as you can see, the lighting is really starting to get good here. The view would only get more dramatic as the sun sets and the lights come on. BUT, with the camera rolling, some cop comes speeding by on a golf cart of all things and tells me "You can't be here". :mad: This was after me sitting there for over an hour already. So he ruined my time-lapse midway as it was starting to get good.

32.jpg

So I left and took a few shots over at State.

36.jpg

43.jpg

46.jpg

38.jpg

40.jpg

33.jpg

42.jpg

45.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Here is an animated gif of the time lapse that I did get:

set1.gif