Grizzlies defense

G-townTN

So I was watching the suns game last night on tnt and I have come to the realization that we won't play defense. I have made a short list of things that I saw last night:

1. Damon Stoudamire won't guard his man, they shot three's on him all night.

2. Pau Gasol is the laziest person I have ever seen in my life, he merely strolls to the other end of the court to play defense, but by the time he get there the other team has already scored.

3. When the opposing team shoots, the grizzlies don't even attempt to try to get the rebound, they start running to the other end when the ball is in mid air.

4. Mike miller?

5. Jake Tsakalidis - do we really have to pay him 3 mil a year to sit on the bench

6. Not defense related, but we don't even pass that much anymore, whoever has the ball coming down the court will shoot.

I am just not sure what we are trying to do with our team at the moment. We have some young talent in rudi gay and hakim warrick, but we have a ways to go to get back to where we were the past couple of years. We might not have been doing well in the playoffs, but at least it was enjoyable to watch.

Also, from what I understand, the reason why we got rid of all of our good players last year was because we wanted a quicker team. To me it seems we have gotten slower and sloppier. Do y'all think we are just trying to play to the end of the season so we can get the number 1 draft pick? If so what is the possibility we will take the number 1 center and trade pau gasol for a talented point guard? I would even trade pau gasol for shane battier, at least battier has heart, is a team leader, and will represent our team and community well.

What do y'all think?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just figured I would clarify a little bit.

When I referred to the grizzlies I was talking about our NBA team that we have had for some time now. You might not remember them because they haven't been in the news much lately. I promise we still do have a team. You should check them out, they play at the FedEx forum downtown...

My quick take is this is year one of a rebuilding effort. I still don't like the fact we traded away Battier, as he did provide great leadership, intangible benefits not seen in the box score, and was a great link to the community, but with no cap room and a poor draft position, I think Jerry West felt he had to serve up Battier to help the team the next 2-3 years in the draft.

It seems Barone and Co. and now realizing if they want to score 110+ every game, they will have to adjust their defensive strategy to keep other teams from out-running them. Perhaps the solution is after every shot keeping Gasol, Johnson, and Warrick down low for a better rebounding opportunity while Miller and Gay retreat back toward midcourt to prevent the fastbreak in case we don't get the rebound (which unfortunately the past 3-4 years has been often). Gay, Warrick, and Johnson are learning on the job, but Gasol and Miller are veterans and have no excuses to leaving their men open for easy shots in the paint (Gasol) or easy 3's from the corner (Miller). Barone knows what the problems are and says he'll adjust...let's hope the players buy into it and we can stop the slide against the 76ers.

The Grizzlies are awful. Everyone in that organization should be fired and start over beginning with Jerry West, he obviously doesn't know what he's doing.

I used to love going to see them play but not anymore. I'm actually thinking of not renewing my season tix unless they turn this season around.

I can't even give my tickets away most nights.

The Grizzlies are awful. Everyone in that organization should be fired and start over beginning with Jerry West, he obviously doesn't know what he's doing.

I used to love going to see them play but not anymore. I'm actually thinking of not renewing my season tix unless they turn this season around.

I can't even give my tickets away most nights.

I would never go as far as to say "they are horrible" or "they suck", but they are having a tough time right now. Some of the decisions that have been made in the past year don't seem to be the best at this very moment. Jerry West is a very intelligent guy. Before he took over, the grizzlies weren't exactly stellar up in Vancouver and with a little help by jerry he turned around the program. I am a little short sighted, but I am not giving up on ole jerry and I know he has something up his sleeve for the future; I just want something good now.

Nonetheless, should pau stay or go?

Archived