tech town vision

crotim

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's really cool, I hadn't seen any pictures of their plans before. I think the idea of a neighborhood built around IT is really cool.

Before it sounded like some kind of technology campus, plus some extra stuff, but now it seems like something better.

I've had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Bell about Tech Town. He seems very optimistic about the future. I guess I would be too if I was seeing renderings and planning for a "24-hour neighborhood" like he is. It's really exciting to see that the rhetoric being used is regional, especially since this project is within the city of Detroit. Going through that area today, admittedly, is hard to envision an extensively lively neighborhood, but being in the loop about what is planned for the future, really establishes a positive outlook not only on the city, but the state as well. :)

I am equally impressed, however as I mentioned on DY, my interactions with New Center Council makes me sorta partial to the New Amsterdam Historic District name for the area, though I think the name of TechTown has a place for the area as far as specific office buildings are concerned. However, I think New Amsterdam Historic District has more of an organic, homely, 24hr neighborhood oriented vibe than TechTown, which feels sorta sterile as far as residential synergy is concerned

What would that be called then, New Amsterdam?

I like and dislike the towns at the same time. it's cool to have all of them, but it also sounds like we're just not creative. (there's the river... ehhh... "Rivertown?" Technology... technology.... "TechTown?") :lol:

Tech town will never be what is could have been or should be had there not been so many damn freeways in the city. Look at chicago, their lincoln park neighborhood is gorgious (even surpassess the nightlife of their downtown). No freeways in sight. also look at philly or san fransisco, all these cities have amazing greater downtown neighborhoods.

Detroit will never have those kinds of areas, since every other block, you hit a freeway ramp. I think we are doomed forever, sometimes I think that the entire detroit street grids should be completely diffrent, and the closest major hightway should be behind the new center.

There is not better example of what i'm talking about than Toronto, that city is perfect in every single way, from downtown to neighborhoods. They only have one freeway near downtown, and unfortunatly it runs right through the middle of it (above ground) but it's ok, it's still a great city.

Tech town will never be what is could have been or should be had there not been so many damn freeways in the city. Look at chicago, their lincoln park neighborhood is gorgious (even surpassess the nightlife of their downtown). No freeways in sight. also look at philly or san fransisco, all these cities have amazing greater downtown neighborhoods.

Detroit will never have those kinds of areas, since every other block, you hit a freeway ramp. I think we are doomed forever, sometimes I think that the entire detroit street grids should be completely diffrent, and the closest major hightway should be behind the new center.

There is not better example of what i'm talking about than Toronto, that city is perfect in every single way, from downtown to neighborhoods. They only have one freeway near downtown, and unfortunatly it runs right through the middle of it (above ground) but it's ok, it's still a great city.

wow man, you got me drooling. I would love to see your vision in detroit. I never thought we'd have this talk, but lets' get started on how we should tear down our highways, but right after we renovate or tear down our other eyesores, I hope very quickly. it would be awsome if there was no lodge near downtown. We would have to do something about the new MGM Grand though. The back side of it faces the lodge (which I think was a huge mistake).

Let's turn the "former" Lodge into a river and build highrises along the edges so we can mimick Chicago.;)

BTW, I think it would be better to redirect the Lodge into the Davison and then I-75. In that case, we wouldn't have to destroy that mile-long stretch of Wyoming to connect the Lodge to I-96 and the people in Oakland County would only have to add 2 minutes to their journey. Either that or cut the Lodge back to the Southfield Fwy and just rename the remaining portion M-39. (completely removing M-10). And in that case they could use the former area to construct a light rail line from Downtown all the way to Northland and possibly the Southfield Town Center. It could also call for the removal of the Davison Freeway and help "reconnect" the two sides of Highland Park.

Just imagine a Light Rail line with stops at Cobo Center, MGM Grand/Corktown, Motor City/Cass Park, Wayne State, Henry Ford Hospital/New Center, Sanai Grace, University of Detroit-Mercy, Northland Mall, etc. It would probably make the neighborhoods directly adjacent more desirable.

'hudkina'

Oh my GOD man, this is exactly what I was going to write. I thought of the Lodge into a river too, and think it would be awsome, probably not very easy. Do you think it's possible for them to connect it to the Detroit river.

I always loved chicago's river in the middle of downtown. everytime I go to Chicago, I say forget Detroit. I completly lose faith in our city because it's such a dump (sorry) compared to the windy city. I mean even if it's fully developed, Detroit will never ever look like chicago. our foundations will never allow that to happen. It's design is completely diffrent. but then when I return from my vacation, I see Detroit, and I re-envsion it. and picture the east riverfront area topped off with low-rises near the river, and high rises on Jefferson, and the same with the west riverfront. I also imagine an expaned financial district down fort street all the way to the MCS. You do know that's how large chicago's CBD is right (so it's normal).

sometimes I wish downtown wasn't so close to the water, and the land near the water was more open. Look at chicago, the acuall skyscrapers are a good distance from downtown. Don't even get me started on the ren cen and it's poorly planned location. Damn you Coleman Young.

lol, the lodge can't be turned into a river. You could flood it, but there wouldn't be any current, and it would end up being really murky and nasty. I think it would be cool if there was a smaller river that fed into the Detroit river in downtown though. That's what I do when I play Sim City. :blush:

I agree, that would have been cool. If Woodward still existed like it does now, then development would have followed both that and a river. I think that's more interesting geography. Development would have probably continued more south, and there would be an interesting urban environment, with all of the down river islands and stuff. "Fighting Isle" would probably be belle isle, and the area between Grosse Isle and Zug Island would probably be very interesting.

Archived