Downtown GR Uber Construction Photo Thread

GRDadof3

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, exactly what I was thinking! Also, just think of the number of blighted and/or vacant parcels in the Heartside that have been flipped!!!

Another way to think of this is what percentage of blighted and/or vacant parcels remain? The number is shrinking!

Definitely it would be a lot more eye-popping than hearing the constantly rehashed "Over $1 Billion in new development since 2001" or "Over $1 Billion under construction currently" whatever number/time frame people keep using. Most people have no concept of what $1 Billion is.

It would actually be cool to do a map with different colored areas (keyed to "vacant/unused", "under construction", "under development", "fully utilized (or at least fully renovated but maybe not completely filled yet), etc.), going back 10 years, than 5 years, 3 years, and then forecasting to 2010/2011, and see the map filling in as you flipped to the different timeframes.

Thinking about 10 years ago, there would be no GVSU Business School West of 131, or the dorms across the street, no YMCA, no new S-curve, the old Hall of Justice where the convention center is, the old Grand Center bunker :sick: , no Kent County Courthouse at Lyon/Ottawa, arena would be just opened, most of the Ionia and Ottawa buildings around teh arena would show "vacant", no Globe Apartments, no EQ3, no Design+ now USSignal bldg, no Cooley, no WMU offices on Ionia, no San Chez, no One Trick Pony, no Boardwalk Condos/apts, no BOB, no Monroe Terrace Condos, no Brassworks Bldg, no Icon on Bond obviously, no River House, no Union Square, South Division would be 95% "vacant", no GVSU health sciences, no Meijer Heart Center, no Lacks Cancer Center, no medical offices to the East of St. Mary's Hospital, Peck Bldg mostly vacant (Cafe Solace Building), CityView condos building across the street mostly vacant, no police department where it is now (it was the vacant City Centre Mall), the main library would still look like the 70's and the historic section closed off :sick: , the old Civic Theater with most of those buildings vacant, no Public Museum across the river from the J.W., no GVSU Engineering buildings, no ITP Center and tent (they were in the parking lot by the new courthouse), no Van Andel Institute, no GRCC Health Science, no Renucci Hospitality House behind the hospital, and just many many more that I am probably missing. And obviously none of the projects were following now, like the health projects, the GRAM and the JW.

The 10 year map would be SHOCKING!! :shok: And dollar figures would not do it justice as to the sheer number of changes.

Wow!! Allot has happened in ten years. Back then I would always feel sorry for the tenants living in Plaza Towers for having to look at a bombed out shell of a vacant building. Today that vacant building is now the B.O.B. and it looks great. That right there is a big turn around in of itself.

Thinking about 10 years ago, there would be no ...One Trick Pony...

For some reason this example leapt off the page.

I started calling contra dances in 1990, and it may have been 1992 or 3 when I was first asked to call one here in GR. This was at the old museum, with the globe (moon?) display rising on the rear wall out in the hallway as I stood on the stage.

I know for a fact we went out to OTP afterwards.

HTH

Wow!! Allot has happened in ten years. Back then I would always feel sorry for the tenants living in Plaza Towers for having to look at a bombed out shell of a vacant building. Today that vacant building is now the B.O.B. and it looks great. That right there is a big turn around in of itself.

I thought of a few others: Kendall College's complete rehab and addition on to the building behind them on Ionia, UICA on Sheldon, your favorite the United Way HQs on Commerce (the lion building), Landmark Lofts on Monroe Ave near the 6th St. bridge, all the "de-aluminumization" of the Monroe Center buildings, the whole block transformation across the street from the AGP (Bulls Head, Chop House, Mojo's collection), the AGP's new facade, all of the building renovations on Grandville (32, 44, 56, Grand Woods, Ice House, 100 Grandville, The Intersection and Custer's new offices), and American Seating Park was still a big ol factory.

Can't believe that I actually thought downtown Grand Rapids was OK back then before all that. :rofl:

So, who wants to volunteer to make the maps?

For some reason this example leapt off the page.

I started calling contra dances in 1990, and it may have been 1992 or 3 when I was first asked to call one here in GR. This was at the old museum, with the globe (moon?) display rising on the rear wall out in the hallway as I stood on the stage.

I know for a fact we went out to OTP afterwards.

HTH

No way, I remember going to OTP shortly after it opened with friends, and I was still shleppin the campus of WMU back in 1992. Maybe you're thinking 2002? Or maybe you went to the Cottage Bar? I could swear it was right around the same time Taps, J Gardella's, Sierra Room and several other bars opened after the arena opened (because we would bar hop them all).

So, who wants to volunteer to make the maps?

I know several Economics professors as GVSU that may know some things...I am sending them an email to see if they have any data to share.

I also work at GVMC (REGIS)...so I hope something like this has been done...something that at least can be modified to suit our needs.

I can get this project rolling...if anyone has some ideas or access to data, let me know.

Oh, i can make the maps once we have the data...

No way, I remember going to OTP shortly after it opened with friends, and I was still shleppin the campus of WMU back in 1992. Maybe you're thinking 2002? Or maybe you went to the Cottage Bar? I could swear it was right around the same time Taps, J Gardella's, Sierra Room and several other bars opened after the arena opened (because we would bar hop them all).

Straight from the horse's mouth, as it were:

"Thanks for your question! One Trick Pony opened in Fall of 1996. My husband opened it and his family also owns The Cottage Bar, for the past 40 years. The Cottage turns 80 years, this year. One Trick Pony is housed in the oldest Commercial building in GR and pays homage to all the businesses who have rented that space with signage throughout the restaurant. ...

Thank you for writing us!

Lisa Verhil"

Straight from the horse's mouth, as it were:

"Thanks for your question! One Trick Pony opened in Fall of 1996. My husband opened it and his family also owns The Cottage Bar, for the past 40 years. The Cottage turns 80 years, this year. One Trick Pony is housed in the oldest Commercial building in GR and pays homage to all the businesses who have rented that space with signage throughout the restaurant. ...

Thank you for writing us!

Lisa Verhil"

So it was in the time period right around when the arena opened, which was 1996, or almost 10 years ago. So we were both close. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Beautiful day, thought it'd be fun to pull this thread up and add some updates.

Starting from the South side of downtown. Saint Mary's Hauenstein Neuroscience Center:

3098757220_8617494a67_b.jpg

3097922661_2ac3389789_b.jpg

I learned a new term the other day "Terminating Vista", or having a building as a focal point at the end of a street.

3097920831_b692648179_b.jpg

3098755454_e21efac2c0_b.jpg

Gallery on Fulton will make a nice on at the end of State St:

3098759094_c066dbe379_b.jpg

3097924111_575965c756_b.jpg

3098760580_125d392380_b.jpg

3098761236_783f026b0f_b.jpg

3097926421_ec7ebcbce2_b.jpg

38 Commerce:

3097927363_0a48cbf3df_b.jpg

Back to Gallery:

3098763744_997166dd16_b.jpg

Moving on to Medical Mile:

VAI Phase II

3097939075_8aa9be2294_b.jpg

MSU from their webcam:

3097949689_36d5cde575_o.jpg

The new entrance to Butterworth Hospital:

3098778188_e053451a07_b.jpg

The Children's Hopsital (I do believe the elevator cores are topped out):

3097940913_31c2e35f5f_b.jpg

And the new Michigan Street canyon taking shape:

3097939913_f805931939_b.jpg

Enjoy!

Thanks for the pics Dad. I live on La Grave Ave. and the view of HDVCH is what I see as I drive up to my building from the south. Does anyone know if the 2 HDVCH concrete elevator shaft formations are at their final height? A while back someone on here said that they couldn't raise the crane higher to add on to the shafts until more steel floors were built first. Is the final total going to be 12 stories, or more? I've read different heights. Thanks.

Thanks for the pics Dad. I live on La Grave Ave. and the view of HDVCH is what I see as I drive up to my building from the south. Does anyone know if the 2 HDVCH concrete elevator shaft formations are at their final height? A while back someone on here said that they couldn't raise the crane higher to add on to the shafts until more steel floors were built first. Is the final total going to be 12 stories, or more? I've read different heights. Thanks.

I think it's pretty close, because if you compare the final plan:

3098721515_661d6d7794_o.jpg

...with this shot, it looks like the elevator cores are almost even with the very top of the current hospital (the part that was almost scalped by the helicopter). Might have a few more feet, but it's just about topped out. See my red arrows on each. Crane has already been raised at least a couple of sections.

3098717111_fc523b2dd2_o.jpg

Thanks. I was hoping maybe it would be a little taller, but I always hope everything is going to be taller than what it eventually turns out to be! It still can be seen from all over the city.

No problem. I too wish it were a bit taller. Ah well.

I can't believe I missed my two favorites, River House and 101 S. Division (totally diametrically opposed I know):

3102420877_7527a8b4b1_b.jpg

3102423097_12ef5ebd5e_b.jpg

3102425093_f5719288c7_b.jpg

New windows and trim, it appears:

3102427039_e46fa1a84c_b.jpg

With at least another year and half of some good solid construction projects (new tower for the Medical Mile development, 38 Commerce at 8 stories, and Gallery on Fulton at 14 or so stories).

Plus, it sounds like we will hear soon (months) whether or not Gilmore can work out the plans and pull the trigger on his BOB expansion. That would be a good medium size project to help boost that Monroe Center/Museum/VanAndel triangle. Perhaps if we got some destination retail at Wealthy and Division and he could land something similarly unique to the area, we could finally get to that needed critical mass.

Archived