Possible new development on the horizon for DT Kzoo?

DetroitMan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, they're definitely going full steam ahead with that one.

Last time I was in Kalamazoo they had a huge hole dug and it looked like they had all the footings in place and were finishing pouring the base concrete.

I'm a little bummed they dumped the condos that were supposed to go on top but I'm still really looking forward to the finished product!

I need to take my camera with me more often.

Last time I was in Kalamazoo they had a huge hole dug and it looked like they had all the footings in place and were finishing pouring the base concrete.

I'm a little bummed they dumped the condos that were supposed to go on top but I'm still really looking forward to the finished product!

I'm sure if one has to force something good out of the downsizing of the project one could pull out that tiny nugget, but one still wonders if they couldn't have just risked stacking them atop the office building. I know well that Kazoo isn't GR, and that's not where I'm coming from. I just think even given the size of Kazoo, the idea that this will not only not have the condos, but the first floor will be part of the parking garage (instead of at least saving part of it for retail) is a cop out. Just because a city "is not (insert name of city further ahead in the downtown redevelopment game)" doesn't excuse 'safe' choices in building these type of projects. The office space should be quite a boost, but what has essentially been done with leaving the groundfloor dead to the street is simply relocating a suburban office mid-rise to the heart of Kazoo. I'm known for being critical, and overly critical, at times, but I don't think it was too much to ask that they've made this more friendly at the street level.

I know what your saying Lmich, but this is also on a corner with no other retail around, its not a destination, its a block from the mall and a block from michigan ave. It also bothers me when there is not ground floor retail space left, not saying that it was not smart but it might not be business smart at least at this point. I wonder how easy it would be to create retail space in the future if there was enough demand for it? Its not ideal but it is better than the surface lot that is there right now.

I did not know what this project was but saw the short tower crain on the site a couple weeks ago, I will try to get down there to take some pics soon.

Also what ever happened to these projects that were shown in a previous thread...

kzoo2.jpg

zoo1.jpg

I just got a new camera. Look for pics of all the new projects recently completed and under construction soon. By the way, those ugly renderings sit where a brand new country themed bar has just been completed and it is slated to open soon (you can see a live project cam here http://www.wildbull.biz/ <------kind of small compared to what could have been

What I think you'll see soon:

1) beginning work for an addition to McKenzie's Bakery

2) Addition and renovation of a historic depot building on the corner of E. Michigan and Pitcher

3) Recently competed Devisser place on the Mall

4) Work on the new Miller and Paddock building

5) Recently completed chem and visual arts building at WMU

6) Final touches on the new parking ramp/Rave Theater

7) Wild Bull

8) I don't know, there may be something I am forgetting

If you read Kalamazoo's long term Vision Plan (which is lengthy but an excellent read and available here) you'll see that both a convention center and a downtown sports arena are at the core of the Kalamazoo's long term goals.

However, as I see it, all signs point to this being a sports arena. Greenleaf recently bought the Wings Stadium complex as well as the K-Wings franchise meaning they have the means to place a minor league sports team into a new space, a necessary ingredient in the making of a new arena. The K-Wings could use it regularly with the potential for a minor league Basketball or even Indoor Soccer team sometime in the future. WMU could use it as an alternative facility and it would certainly become the area's most popular venue for large concerts, putting in direct competition with Van Andel for this side of the state.

Furthermore, Greenleaf owns the Radisson, the largest and most used convention space in the downtown area. It seems unlikely that they would like to spur competition for conventions between assets. Especially with Pfizer pulling jobs out of the area and lessening their commitment to do business in this area.

• 2 weeks later...
I frequent the GR forum more often but while at http://www.rossetti.com/ I noticed some conceptual drawings of a mixed use development including "Kalamazoo Arena" in Kzoo on Water St.. It is said to hold 7500, used for Kwings, and other entertainment. Maybe i'm behind the times. If so feel free to ignore me.

Upon further inspection, I see a Borders, a Starbucks, a CVS and a Sbarro! Maybe they're in negotiation with those companies... probably not... but Maybe! I would love to see a Borders downtown. ( I still think the southeast corner of Rose and Michigan would be perfect for a Whole Foods Market!)

I also noticed that the building just south the arena in the aerial view rendering seems to cover up Arcadia Creek. I hope they reroute it so that it goes between the buildings and there is a pedestrian walkway, because I really like it as such right now.

On the Rossetti site it says that it was "engaged to develop a full feasibility study, including master plan and conceptual design, for this arena and mixed-use development..." So this appears to have no real foundation except that the city wanted an idea of what "could be"

• 4 weeks later...

It may not be just a traffic generator that DT will be seeing as well...Greenleaf took the condos off the top of the current office building they are working on and said they could be placed elsewhere downtown. I bet in the next year or so we will see news of up to a 30-40 unit building somewhere.

Archived